Pump supply kits

Hi. So I have been loving the control iq technology in my tslim, HOWEVER, I have noticed I am going through insulin faster while I find my ideal settings. I am considered an essential worker and I have been hitting 0 units while at work. (I will not change my cartridge early cuz I am not about wasting a drop of insulin if I can help it. Hello expensive)

My question for the community is how are you guys carrying your supplies? Cuz my current method of just throwing them in my work bag is not effective and I can and have forgotten one or more part of the process smdh. I am considering a back pack but am open to all budget friendly options.

I hate to admit that I only carry my pump and cgm attached. In my car I have a small phone charger in case my slim battery goes low. I also have one extra infusion set and a syringe.

I don’t carry insulin bottles or all the other stuff.
The worst that happens is I yank out my set and I have a spare in my car.

If you have a tslim you have a cartridge that you can pull from in an emergency. There are 20-30 units left in there when it hits zero.

However I really try to not be at work when it runs out.
I have never needed anything else. When I go hiking, bring spares of everything in my pack because it could be hours to get back.

1 Like

My commute one way is roughly 50mi each day. I can’t count on being able to “run home” if something goes wrong (and it VERY rarely does). I’m on a medtronic system. I carry daily, in my work messenger bag, a spare infusion set, a spare reservoir, a spare cgm sensor, insert devices for both, as well a couple of syringes (in case of pump failure, i can draw insulin from the reservoir). Everything packs in a small plastic box if you trim some of the packaging from the infusion and cgm sensor.

I don’t usually carry spare insulin. I’ve made a habit of checking my pump in the morning when i do my BG check to make sure i have at least 50u in the pump before I leave. Take a little discipline, but you can do it :slight_smile: Everything about this T1D adventure requires a bit of discipline to be successful.

1 Like

It’s not advised and defies official protocol, because supposedly the insulin degrades in the cartridge, but I suck the remaining insulin out of the cartridge with the fill syringe and include it with the new insulin used to fill the next cartridge. I’ve never noticed reduced efficacy because of it, and I definitely don’t have any problems with occlusions.

If you read the forums long enough, you’ll see a lot of us doing this. It also solves the problem of the 15-20 units of unusable insulin that remains in the cartridge. There are others, though, that are staunchly against this approach.

There are also those who just carry a pre-filled cartridge with them.

Personally, I never carry extra insulin with me, unless I’m leaving home for more than a day. I do have a small kit that lives in the car with a glucometer/strips, spare sensor and infusion set, and syringes. In the event of an emergency or pump failure, I knows I can suck insulin from the pump cartridge

2 Likes

I tried this on Monday after seeing you mention it in another post - no issues so far (3 days later)!

1 Like

Disclaimers necessary and noted, but yeah. I can’t help feeling this may be one of those hyper-cautious rules that aren’t necessarily borne out in practice. F’rinstance people who load the reservoir up for six days’ worth and just change the infusion set every third day. Sticking with one location too long does seem pretty well attested as leading to absorption problems, though there too I find the limit for me is more like four days than three. But degrading b/c of contact with the plastic reservoir seems a little more theoretical than real.

1 Like

I use a small zippered bag, maybe the size of a ‘90’s fanny pack, big enough for 2 sets, 1 cartridge. I rarely carry an insulin vial.
On days where I know the remaining cartridge insulin will be depleted at some point of tomorrow’s work day, I pre-fill a’ ready to install’ cartridge, the night before, to allow a quicker cartridge swap out @ work. I fill the cart with 6 days + 1 set prime volume. Knowing that at some hour of tomorrow’s work day, the new cart will get installed.

I have spare infusion sets and related pump supplies in a ziploc bag in my work locker. I also have a small zippered bag that I have used Velcro to stick it on the inside of one of the refrigerators in the break room.

When I first got my Omnipod they sent a small carry bag with it that holds the pdm or meter, but it also holds an extra pod, extra batteries, extra insulin, in my case a pen, syringes, and pen needles. It’s about the size of a meter case, a little wider. I have used it when I’ve had a pod failure, used when I had to take a pod off because of MRI’s etc. I also use the insulin in it when needed to give my dog a correction bolus when we are out and about as she goes almost everywhere with us because she has separation anxiety. Each time I go through a pen to fill my pods I switch it out. If I am snorkeling it has a pocket for a small frio pack to keep it cool.

It is all there already in my purse so I don’t have to remember to grab anything. But before pump life was easier, I carried a pen with a needle in my purse and that was it.
I really could just do that again if I wanted. My dog would be covered by that too.

I use an ordinary makeup bag. I keep anything I could need in it from low supplies to a site change and my working vial of insulin. I use the site change and the insulin that is in the bag whenever I change my site and put a new site in it when I do.

3 Likes

I like @Firenza carry a small bag with a go kit that has 1 of everything and 2 of the common fail items. I replace as necessary, and regularly reuse cartridges, especially when filling at work. If I plan ahead (<50% of the time} I will prefill a cartridge for a quick change at work.

1 Like

I encourage you to do an Amazon search using “pencil case” as the search term. These bags are about the same dimensions of a bag I used for about 20 years that I received from Medtronic as part of a pump purchase in the '90s.

Here’s a $10 item that caught my eye.

2 Likes

Although stylish and durable, I’m just not going to carry that bag

I have 670g, so spare, already filled, reservoirs don’t really work for me. A small makeup bag for my current bottle of insulin & a few emergency syringes, plus a semi-hard camera case to hold 2 spare insets, go into the bottom of a small backpack-purse. I also carry a glucose meter. I live in earthquake country, and was 50 miles from home during the Loma Prieta 7.1 quake, so I pack for disasters, though I don’t carry spare sensors. I DO carry 2 spare pump batteries.

1 Like

It must be tough for guys, carrying extras. We women almost always carry purses to keep things in when out. When I was working, I would keep a little bag or a plastic box with my extras in my desk drawer. You don’t have to spend a lot go to a dollar store or Wal-Mart!

1 Like

I get makeup bags at Ross (who cares if it didn’t sell at Macy’s, as long as it isn’t too awful). It only costs $2.50 - $10.00, depending on what size it is, and whether you want one or an entire set of 3.

Camera cases (or cases for other small electronic devices) can be gotten any place that sells electronics/camera accessories. Go when there’s a sale, and you can do pretty well as far as quality and cost. I also have a semi hard shell pencil box for some supplies from Zippit. They design them for kids, so they are usually washable.