Pump to ezManager connection issue

Isn’t it a shame that Animus doesn’t really query users? Some users could care less about the remote feature, but for others it was the primary selling feature! They could’ve integrated blue tooth AND RF!

==> Mike.

Actually, it could have a simple battery like hatch/cap/plug to cover the usb port? If they can make the battery cap waterproof, they can do same with a usb port cover… any Animas reps on here? you reading this? free ideas here!

The EzManager software, will install on Windows 7 (I am running it on Windows Home preimum 64bit) Animas does not support it on Windows 7, but It works fine, once you update the driver for the IR and meter cable (same driver for both and older One Touch meter to usb cable… I found out about the driver from another aninmas posting. I downloaded it awhile ago, but it should be still available at http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

The battery cap is ‘waterproof’ because of two things. 1 it screws in and 2 it uses an o-ring to seal it. It is easy to sel because it is round. A mini or micro usb connector is not round, would have no screw threads to secure it in place and would be easy to knock off. Wifi or bluetooth which would have no outside connections needed would be a much better option.

The issue I think is more to do with getting FDA approval and all that fun stuff. Since a pump is a medical device it’s got more testing to go through. RF is a much older technology and that’s why we have issues with getting decent drivers for newer operating systems. Still no support for Win7 officially yet. Think of all the issues they’d have to cover from Bluetooth being enabled on airlines which still have people turn off their phones. All these things have to take a ton of time before we see a technology switch in our pumps. Just think how far pumps have come in the last 15 years. It’s definitely not as far as computers but there has to be a ton of red tape holding it back. I’m not trying to defend them but just trying to reason a possibility for not adapting as fast as we’d like.

There is no need to contact Animas about the cradle. I tried and I got the run a round from them. They told me that they never heard of the cradle and did not know what I as talking about. They told me that it was something only a doctor’s office would need and there was no need in me having a cradle. They told me it was something that Life Scan carried so they transferred me to the One Touch department. They could not pull up the part #. I was very frustrated by the time I got off of the phone with them.

I have contacted the DEC in my area and have not gotten a call back from her yet. I am also going to try the Animas rep from my area but that person is works over 3 hours away from me. I am going to try to contact my endo next week and see if she knows anything about the cradles.

While there is no official support from Animus for Windows 7, you can find an update driver that allows the software to work reading the IR cable and the meter cable (same driver) from http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31, It woks perfectly for me using Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit . As long as it works, why do you need official support? The driver also works for the older lifescan cables for the non ping meters.

Thanks, I’ve got it working on my Win 7 box (after having issues with the first pump they sent me not being picked up by the IR at all, even in Vista).

The reasoning I’m giving is official support. I know it’s not needed but for support and general populace concerns they’re 2 years behind the original release of Win7. That’s not taking into account the development time for all hardware providers before the release of an operating system. Most hardware tries to have updated drivers upon release. We’re stuck behind red tape galore.

Anxdiety, updating EZManagerMax is not the same as any other program. EzmanagerMax is only available by prescription. I believe that the software has to be FDA approved since it is an interface to the pump and they probably have to convince the FDA that the data is accurate. While it is a java program, and the driver manufacturer has updated the driver and therefore the hardware to work with the program, Animas would probably have to get FDA approval to support Windows 7. My guess is that the next pump, which is being held up by a FDA change of philosophy, i.e. more stringent approval, will come with an updated or new software package. .

That’s what I was explaining. :slight_smile: It was part of why we can’t expect things like bluetooth, as there’s so much red tape to go through.

IR is a very slow method of transferring data. I have been using the Diasend web component for uploading my data. It seems more reliable and fast than the EZManager software. My educator also likes the reports better. The only thing I use the EZM software for is when I update my food database on the meter.

Not sure if this is the case with EZM, but with Diasend you do not need to keep hitting buttons to keep your pump from going into sleep mode so that’s a plus.

The point is that it is a terrible design! There are better options (RF, Bluetooth, etc.) but I guess the IR was the cheapest (and slowest) way to go. I have the dongle and even THAT doesn’t work very well. I rarely use the program. The DexCom thing works fine!

Jeff