Pump=Tool (not cure)

NOTE: This is not a blog post against pumps. This is a blog post about considering all options before making the decision to put your child on a pump.

I was reading an article this morning about a new study that was done on measuring blood glucose control between pump and non pump users. I thought it was interesting because it’s very favorable towards pumps…well mostly. The study shows that wearing a pump and the continuous flow of infusion, may control harmful blood sugar fluctuations. Which I think makes sense if your child doesn’t like to test often. We know that consistent highs are the real long term culprit for the loss of a myriad of bodily functions. The article also states that pumps can control severe lows a bit better as well:

“While participants using the insulin pump had significantly lower HbA1c levels than those using multiple daily injections, no differences existed between the two for non-severe low blood glucose levels. However, there appeared to be a reduction in severe incidents of low blood glucose among those using the pump.”

The part of the article that I found most interesting was the findings among children who wear the pump. You read for yourself:

Read More

I must admit I do appreciate the benefits of a pump over MDI, Since using one i rarely have to deal with low blood sugars, especially going to school and working on my masters, I feel the slightest bit more normalized and able to concentrate because it has prevented those high and low swings.

I am sure there are a lot of people who feel they are doing much better on the pump. With kids however, their daily activity is all over the place, with growing and going though puberty their hormones are all over the place. These affect blood sugar numbers. My fear is that a lot of new Dparents feel a pump will solve thier BS ups and downs. And it may or may not, but kids numbers are going to be up and down and you will have to attend to the pump depending on age and activity. That means consistant management, just like if they weren’t on the pump. It’s not as easy or steady as you go as it usually is for an adult. I just think parents, new ones especially, need to understand this fact.

I definitely agree with your headline…and would add too that there is also an emotional/mental aspect that goes into it too that can may it an effective tool or do nothing… which some people, esp. teens, might be more susceptible too…because there is the factor of always being attached and tend to be less discreet…I think too all of the extra options (multiple basal settings, dual wave/combo bolus) can also be overhwelming especially when things are already crazy due to hormones…it’s just one more thing to worry about or to use to their benefit