Pumping day 1

I am officially started. Yesterday, at 12:25, I officially became a cyborg. When my brother-in-law came for Thanksgiving, he told me that if I got all terminator on him, he was going to have to take action. One of my sisters got this sad look in her face--that I was excited about getting a pump. Familys are weird.

Because I'd taken levemir that morning, she put me on a temp basal of 0% until this morning. But that ended just after my shower, so now I'm even getting basal insulin again. That's probably a good thing. Last night I was 174 before going to bed, and 153 when I woke up--yes, I took the corrections, but I think I'm ready to be back on a basal as soon as possible.

I had no problem getting the thing off for my shower (I have a minimed revel) but when I tried to put it back on, I was scared I was going to have to call the pump trainer in a panic because I couldn't seem to do it. I mean, I had the right placement, but . . . well, anyway, it went back on.

The weirdest thing about having a pump is that I start dinner with everyone else. Last night, I estimated my carbs, plugged it into the pump, hit act, and everyone else wasn't even at the table yet. They've gotten into the habit of ignoring me for five minutes when I come to the table, on the theory that I have to wrestle with my insulin before it's actually dinner time.

Today, because it's the end of the semester, there's a party for the English department that I'm going to go to and mooch free food because after all, I'm a graduate student. Then I have a meeting with my professor, but this is the last thing I'll have to do for my own classwork this semester. No finals for me--for any of my classes. All that will be left is the grading, and I have a stack of portfolios from my little freshmen that's about eighteen inches tall. Ok, that's maybe an exaggeration--but it feels like a mountain. But hopefully, I'll get a good start on that today and get my grades in on time and just concentrate on worrying about the pump.

Like, what are the kids going to do when they see it? My little nephew (he's three now) plays with his mama's phone constantly, I just have this nightmare that he'll see my pump and start tugging, although I have to admit it looks nothing like his mama's phone.

Ah well. That's a worry for another day.

Congrats! Pumping has been life-changing for me. Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Also just started and it is great. Just bolused for my morning coffee without having to jab a needle. Soooo nice. I ran up around 170 my first night. Several times I've started to prepare a syringe before remembering I've got the pump in my pocket. I disconnected/reconnected my Quickset yesterday for the first time no problem but I never was able to get on the little cap cover for my shower. The pump has slipped out of my hands twice but I cushioned the fall both times and the set didn't yank out. Nerves, I guess.

Been on mine for 6 months, my dd has had her's since August and my 20 month old grandson has learned that the tubing and pump are grammy;s and/or his mommy's and he is not to touch. He learned it first day and has never been a problem. Just let them know it is not a toy and not to touch and they will be fine.
Good Luck!

I just got hooked up last Thursday...week one done! I love it so far. Still making basal adjustments and figuring out how to exercise, the support here has been great! Good luck!