Pumps and Crock-Pots

Two things that people swear by that I don’t have a desire to own or use. I got my A1c nailed down for now, and can see the benefits of a pump, but really don’t like the idea of dragging it around when MDIs are working for me. For people that are or were doing well under the MDI scenario (let’s use around 6.0 or better), what were the most important factors that caused you to switch, or have kept you from switching to a pump. Also how long have you been on MDI, on a pump, or MDI before the switch.

I will start. I don’t want to have to have a needle stuck in me all the time with a hose going to another cellphone sized thing. (No Pump, MDI for 1 year, A1c 5.8)

The needle isn’t stuck in you…the soft canula is. Very flexible. But I see your point.

I like the pump better because it’s attached. It’s not something I have to remember to get into my purse or car when I need to go out. It’s already in my pocket. I also like the wizard on the pump that keeps the math straight for me. I tend to eat about every 3 hours and can stack bolus on the pump without any problems. I also like the smoother basal delivery around the clock.

All in all, my life is better on the pump than before on MDI.

hth

For me it was 1) the ability to adjust basal rates when I was exercising. I am aware that many athletes have successfully competed with shots but, on top of a full-time job, chauffeuring to piano lessons, etc. it made it much easier to achieve good BG results (although not 5.6, until I got a CGM?) consistently while being enrolled in a very strenuous martial arts program for two years. I’ve since stopped that as we moved away and I didn’t find an academy that fit my current lifestyle but I have started running regularly and still find the pump to be very useful for managing BG smoothly on longer runs.

1. the thing I wasn’t aware of that I discovered after I got the pump was that it was, in fact, much less work than MDI. I spend a lot less time managing diabetes than I did before. Any extra time is extremely valuable while trying to squeeze in all of the above and the pump made bunches of time for me.

2. it also does a much better job than I do logging stuff. To me, logging is a total pain in the butt and the pump does a great job of assembling data. This may be natural to a lot of people but I d/l the reports and send them to my doc and we’re good to go.

I fought pumping for about 10 years before I went for it…

I had an a1c in the 5’s when I went from MDI to the pump. I did it because I was a young mom and I found that I was forgetting to take my insulin more often than I liked due to the increased responsibilities of that. I didn’t really have any issues maintaining my control with MDI, but I wanted to be able to track whether or not I took a bolus and not wonder “Wait. Did I really take my Lantus last night??”

I have to tell you (and it still makes me kind of emotional)… I have never felt more normal than I did the day I first wore my pump. I wasn’t prepared for that feeling as it seems fairly counterintuitive. Why would I feel more normal having a pump attached to me than not? I have no idea, but it was the most freeing feeling I’d ever felt.

For the record…I hate crockpots. :o)

Love them both. I got a call from a pump rep the day after diagnosis, started a few weeks later, so I have no real basis for comparison, but it is really helpful to be able to turn down my basal when I exercise more than planned, and to bolus in the tenths of units. (The crock pot was a big help when my kids were small and we were shuttling them to a variety of evening activities.)

I couldn’t stand carrying all the cr@p around with me. Needles, pens, insulin (2 kinds), alcohol swabs, bg meter, test strips, stabber…

All I have to lug around now is my OmniPod controller (which is also a bg meter), a stabber and test strips. Done. (Also, seeing as the OmniPod is tubeless, I don’t feel like I am dragging anything around with me. In fact, I don’t even know which side of my back it’s stuck to at the moment.)

I’m a bit needle phobic and hated giving myself shots. I also really like the idea that I can skip meals more easily and don’t have to give myself a shot of basal at set times. It took all of a week to get used to the pump and tubing.

I was on MDI for about 18 months before I switched.

Maurie

I’m not so into Crock-Pots, but a slow cooker is awesome. The meat in your meal is so tender.

I’d been jabbing multiple times a day for 17years before I changed to jabbing only every 3-4days. And I so would not go back. Pumps are a breeze to use and technically allow you to not only achieve closer control but also offer a more flexible life style. Timing wise every day for me is different and without the pump I was winging it all the time. Now I’m not winging it because I not there is a method I can apply to the madness.

It is a needle if you use the steel sets - I am allergic to Teflon and had to use the steel ones.

The little bitty crockpot makes great oatmeal, which I have once in a while. I also use the pump once in a while–wish I could use it all the time. I don’t have many sites for the pump, so I wear it sometimes for a treat. Come to think of it, I also have crockpot oatmeal for a treat, too!

I was on MDI for 27 ½ years before switching to pumping last summer. I was on the pump 8 months and after 2 pump failures (the last one a couple weeks ago), decided to stick with MDI. My A1cs were in the 5s for several years before going on the pump and I just had an A1c of 6.1 because of all the problems I had with sites.

There are some good features about pumping. Like was mentioned, you don’t have to remember if you took your insulin or not. You can have more flexible basal rates. I take my Levemir 3 times a day so felt like I was always having alarms go off to remind me to take it. I could actually sleep in with the pump.

I was apparently allergic to Teflon so had to use the steel sets – that limits your choices in sets. I also seem to build up scar tissue fast even though I changed my sites every other day and rotated them between 3 sections of my body (one side of my stomach was useless to begin with). When I went back to MDI & tried to use my stomach for shots, my skin was crunchy and I actually broke about 5 needles – more than I ever broke in the previously 26 ½ years on MDI. Sometimes sites made it 48 hours and other times they didn’t. I was seeing too many highs that I did not see with MDI.

I don’t want a pump either. Scar tissue is the major objection closely followed by pump failures. I wouldn’t accept raging highs as acceptable due to some pump problem. The expense & waste generated by supplies are other issues for me. MDI (3 years) doesn’t bother me at all. Simple, direct & basically foolproof. I don’t find injections inconvenient. Syringes & vials fit in my meter case.

Gave away a crock pot years ago because I never used it:)

Ditto what Gerri said and other reasons. I feel Fine doing MDI. Diabetes for 49+ years and honestly don’t recall when I switched to MDI but it’s been a lot of years. I easily fit 4 syringes(I use them twice each), 2 Insulin vials and 4 cotton balls in a little zippered pouch that is smaller than any of my meter cases. My first thoughts before leaving the house are: Purse/Insulin/Meter/Juice box then cell.

Do you put the meter in the fridge Gerri? I have a new slow cooker and I WILL use it…some day.

Nope, I don’t put my meter in the fridge:) I have a Frio wallet for hot weather & traveling. Another reason I don’t want a pump. Can’t imagine have to pack all those supplies & also take syringes anyway in case of pump failure.

My crock pot collected dust & took up too much room.

I love the title of your post and have to share that I got my pump around the same time I got a crock pot. Both were only months ago. The pump is such a personal choice and I can honestly envision going back and forth between MDI and the pump given the situation. The pump has worked for me because it affords me a little more discretion in formal business sessions – I have a PING - it has a remote – so i can deliver insulin via that and people just think I’m checking my email. I also find that I am better at control with the Pump. But that is just me. And I am a big believer in don’t fix what’s not broken. If MDIs fit into your life and offer you good control, I think that’s terrific and wonder why you would want to change that. I totally agree with your assessment. As for the crockpot – I recommend it, particularly if you hate cooking the way I do.