Pumps and Highs

I have been on the mini med pump for 1 1/2 years to prevent many hypos. but now I find that my A1C which was 6.3 is now 7.8 and I need suggestions about how to reduce these high blood sugars. My diet consists of 60 grams of carbohydrate at each meal. If I go off the usual diet at all, my blood sugar goes high. As careful as I am, going out to restaurants does not work for me as I go high. After 66 years of diabetes, and aging, is this what happens- or is it the pump or my inablility to manage this mechanism. I look forward to hearing from you guys out there. I hope I can keep pumping. I applaud all you great diabetics out there.

Check out Danny’s discussion on Dual Wave boluses that improved his A1C1’s on teh pump at https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/dual-wave-bolus?id=583967%3ATopic%3A771697&page=1#comments

Its exactly like Dave said above, its not about aging or number of years as a diabetic. With careful attention to your pump settings (including proper BASAL not just bolus) and carb counting you should have better control. Of course you should watch what you eat, but one of the benefits of the pump is giving great control over your meal options. In theory, you should be able to eat whatever you want (carb-wise) and still be able to control your glucose (doesn’t always work in real life).

I have seen some pumper profiles and I got the impression that every pumper should question his basal rate after 6 to 12 months. The human body can change in these short periods and thus his insulin needs can change too. Furthermore the way our life is organized can change: new jobs, new challenges etc. All of these changes must be incooperated into the proper basal profile. It is an ongoing process to optimize the pump settings.

On the other hand you may have skin changes that prevent the proper absorbtion of insulin. These things can happen and it may help to note the sites you are using. This way you can give the used sites enough time to recover before you reuse them. Our member Mary was successful with this strategy and maybe you can contact her to get the details.

Holger, Thanks for your thoughts. I’m already into the skin rotation scheme but how do you note the sites and how do I connect with Mary?Also need advice on changing the basal-----is there a book or person to get this info?Thanks Bob S

There are several; Pumping Insulin is a solid start.

One of the best I have read on managing T1D is “Think like a pancreas: A practical guide to managing diabetes with insulin.”

Wow. Congratulations on 66 years of diabetes. I hope to meet you there some day!
I had a rare experience on the pump that I had to find out about the hard way. I was pumping for 2.5 years and my A1c kept rising for the last year on the pump. I changed sites, changed my boluses, counted carbs, changed my ratios and nothing seemed to help.

Found out that I’m gaining increasing resistance to short acting insulins and needed the back up of my Levemir (long acting) to keep my BG down. I had to eventually come off the pump and return to injections to keep my A1c down.

I was also allergic to the catheters which caused clogging in the pump tube, which meant that I wasn’t receiving the dosages that I thought I was.

hope this helps.
Good luck!

I beg to differ with you young ones. I have been pumping for over 10 years and aging does play an important part in managing our disease. My lifestyle has changed over the years and in the past 3 years it has changed drastically. Even though my a1cs are still under 7, I work harder then I did before turning 67…and true knowing how to manage your pump is also important. I have an educator who I see periodically for a tuneup.

Although we’ve had the big D most of our live the education is ongoing on how to manage. What you need is a pump educator to teach you how to also manage your pump.