Question about a1c

who said that was high?? all I see on this thread is a comment from natureOrbs that they catch their highs and that their range is 135-158. Does that mean that they feel that “range” equals “high”? I’d ask for clarification from them before assuming much.

My overall strategy is to overdose other than when going to bed. Dose for meal (5U), eat some meal carbs (2U) and later eat more if/when BG comes down. Avoids highs if it never comes down and spikes if it does.

You have to remember that A1C is an average. Because we don’t come down as fast to anything we eat we stay higher than a normal person for longer. You can prebolus with the proper timing and not spike as high or at as long, but I think almost everyone has some kind of at least minimal spike some of the time.

So even if you spike to 130 for one hour, to come out with an average of 100, you would have to be at 70 for an hour. If you shoot up to 140 for 2 hours, you would have to be at 80 for 4 hours to keep a 100 average. And of course we don’t want to drop too low either. That’s not easy to do. So having a 120 average is doing pretty darn good!!! It means maybe a few hours at 80, a few at 100 and at 120 and a few at 140 and 160. But not a whole lot over or under hopefully!!!

And these averages are hard to keep to and unbalance, I just had another new pod failure and my mistake was I took a shower right after which always causes a spike and I chalked the spike that was occurring to that. I didn’t catch something was wrong and ended up going up to 268 before my shot of insulin started working to start dropping me, and at that point it took a lot more insulin to get within my normal ranges. My average Bg level went up 3 points for the last 2 weeks just from that fiasco! Not a happy camper about that lol!!!

It’s also always amazing to me how fast I spike up without any insulin. My basal at that time of day is 1 unit per hour, how do I go up to 268 after say 3 hours without it? It doesn’t make sense but so much about this disease doesn’t. But the shower also played a part in that number, but still…

I also need to get some Fiasp or Afrezza for this type of thing!

1 Like