Question about DexCom G6 and fingersticks

I only do fingersticks when the CGM gives me an unusually high or low number and sometimes when I first put it in to calibrate it. I will test if it’s saying low in the middle of the night. It can vary as much as 40 points. Also after treatment. It will be slow to register the blood sugar rise. So I’m not gonna treat a low if it’s not low. that said, I’d say, 1-3 times per use.

Ame

1 Like

Sometimes you get a bad or defective sensor and the only way to check that is with a finger stick. It also takes at least two hours for a new sensor to warm up so during that period if you need to eat, you need to do a finger stick to find out your blood glucose level so you can give yourself a corrective bolus. Unfortunately battling with Medicare seems like it’s almost a full-time job if you have diabetes and need to get supplies just to survive. I am impressed that they finally started paying for the Dexcom G6 and that has actually improve the service from my DME vendor even though I only get a month supply at a time. I no longer have to call them 3 or 4 times to get my sensors shipped.