Questions and feedback from non Omnipod users-please share your experience

Hey everyone,

For those of you using tubed systems, are you required to change sites after three days? Also, when you change sites, are you throwing away existing insulin or do you just change the infusion set?

For the active(those who play sports/exercise) individuals, how do you guys feel having the tubing? Do you feel it restricts you in any way?

I’ve been an omnipod user for 4 years now and love the system, however, I’m becoming more attracted to medtronic since it displays cgm readings directly on the pump and I wouldn’t have to carry the dexcom with me.

also, the pods are not cheap. $300 for 1 month supply before insurance. How much are the infusion sets for medtronic? I’m thinking medtronic/tubed systems may be cheaper for long term use.

any info/feedback here is greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

It is becoming possible to also do this using the Dexcom CGM sensor so I suggest you also look in that direction. I personally have not been that impressed with the feedback I’ve read online about the Animas Vibe, but it could improve. I use the Medtronic CGM (Enlite sensor) so my opinion on these things is of dubious value.

If you do consider going with Medtronic I suggest you stand firm on being given a chance to test drive the enlite sensor before committing. Some people have a great experience with the Enlite. Other’s tend to think of it more as Satan’s CGM. Best to find out which camp you are in before jumping.

I love this. I have a mental image of getting a knock on the door from some person with a clipboard wanting to check if I changed my site as “required”.

I think most of us change our Infusion sites every three days. — or so. It’s really a combination of things such as how well you feel the insulin absorption is working for the site, how comfortable it (still) is, and worrying about rotating regularly to avoid creating scar tissue.

The discussion topic linked below might also be of interest to you.

1 Like

Personal choice to some extent. It’s pretty much a matter of how much insulin is left in the pump’s reservoir and how vested you are in not wasting any “unused” insulin. I expect that a lot of folks toss the reservoir and any insulin still in it when they change their set.

The reservoirs for my pump can hold up to 300 units which is maybe 3 times larger than what I use in three days. Sometimes I’ll fill the reservoir with 200 units and then just continue to use it when I change my set. Other times I try to only fill it with what I need for the three days. Depends on how OCD I’m feeling at the time, I guess. :confused:

No, we are not “required” to change sets after 3 days. We can leave them in as long as we like.

Get the Sure-T sets if you want a very low profile set.

I have used both Medtronic and Animas pumps. While I am partial to the high level of user-friendliness of the Medtronic pumps, I bought the Animas Ping two years ago along with the Dexcom, in anticipation of one day upgrading to the Vibe, which I now use. I love the integration of the pump and the cgm, and cannot imagine going back to separate devices, though I do use my Dexcom receiver as a backup device.
I change my sites every 4 days, and do not change the reservoir until it runs out of insulin, which can be anywhere from 4-7 days. I just change the infusion set when I need to. I can’t imagine wasting all of that insulin!!!
The tubing has never bothered me, and I use the longest available size so if it falls to the ground, it doesn’t pull out, or if I want to clip it somewhere besides my pants, I have room to negotiate. I just tuck it into my waistband during the day and throw it in the middle of the bed at night.
Exercise can be a bit tricky, and my pump has fallen off my clothing at times, but there are all kinds of remedies for that…spibelts and tallygear belts, etc.

that is nice that you have the option to leave the infusion set the way it is. Or continue using the existed insulin. With omnipod we are forced to remove the pod, and change sites thus throwing away any extra insulin left in the pod.

I change my infusion set and site every three days, sometimes every two days, in order to reduce the scarring of the subcutaneous tissue that is vital to having the insulin absorbed and eventually transported to the bloodstream. However, I never throw out the insulin remaining in my cartridge or in the tubing until the cartridge is empty.

I typically order 80 infusion sets at a time, so each order lasts me between 160 - 240 days.

This is one of the reasons I never looked at the pod system, although with each cartridge change, I lose about 25U that is left in the tubing.

Shelby, this is great info. thank you so much. I’ll definitely look into the vibe as well.

great point! thanks for pointing that out.

Im guessing the infusion sets are much cheaper than the pods…

thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Yes, another reason that I wasn’t attracted to pod life. :wink:

:grinning:
Thats good to know!

I won’t answer the questions for non-Omnipod users because I use the system. But I will add my 2 cents worth as far as CGM’s are concerned. Right now there are 2 CGM systems available in the US. One is the Medtronic Enlite system which links to the Medtronic insulin pump the other is the Dexcom G4 with or without Share which is a stand alone system but is also integrated into the Animas Vibe. Currently there are 3 more pump companies which are integrating with Dexcom - Insulet, Tandem TSlim, and Asante (which recently shut down but whose technology was purchased by Bigfoot Biomedical). All of these companies are working on the Bionic Pancreas or the “closed loop system” of insulin delivery. Currently Medtronic has the 530G with “threshold suspend” which will stop basal insulin delivery if their CGM detects a low and the user does not respond to the alert. The newest pump from medtronic I believe is the 640G and was introduced in Australia as “an artificial pancreas”. https://www.medtronic-diabetes.com.au/sites/default/files/MiniMed-640G-Introduction-Brochure.pdf this is not yet approved by the FDA and since Medtronic’s CGM is not nearly accurate enough yet to support making insulin dose decisions I think there is still a lot of work to be done .
In the US - Drs Ed Damiano and Steven Russell have been working with Dexcom and Tandem TSlim to create an artificial pancreas. Dr. Damiano’s son has T1 and is set to go to college in 2017 which is when he expects the device to be ready. Dad Develops 'Bionic Pancreas' to Help Diabetic Son - ABC News So personally I use each Omnipod pump a full 80 hours, I rarely have more than 5 units left in the device at the end of its’ life because I am fairly consistent with my meals and exercise. Infusion sets are cheaper but a PDM is $600 a TSlim list price is $6995 and the Medtronic 530G with CGM list price (without sensors) is $7350. A box of 10 “typical” infusion sets is ~ $130.00 so I’m not sure you’ll save a whole lot of money.

List price on Sure-T’s is $94.60. A box should last a month or more and the usual 20% copay brings that down to roughly $20. Reservoirs are $38 for 10, so again that should last a month. 20% of that is under $8.

For me, with my current insurance, pods cost me a copay of $60/month. Infusion sets are also $60/month, but reservoirs are another $35/month. Not a huge difference, but a difference. As a recent “Asante Snap orphan,” I’m a new Omnipod user (for now)… Asante had made it easy for me, with pumps & sets packaged together, making one $60 copay. Still evaluating how much I like/dislike the switch to Omnipod.

1 Like

Not true, at all!

The remaining insulin can be removed from the pod through the fill-port. About 5-10U remains inaccessible, and must be discarded. You do not need to waste any more than that if you have a pod failure.

As for normal operation, I always run my pods dry – that is, all the way to an Empty Reservoir alarm. As a matter of routine, I use every drop of insulin I get from the pharmacy unless I have a pod failure.

Does anyone else here get insulin from their endos? I get all I need for FREE from my endo. I hate spending $100 for a 3-4 month supply, so I appreciate that he always has Humalog in stock to give to his patients. That makes the $20 copay for the visit far more palatable.

ummm … no! Congratulations!?!

LOL. I’m not sure I need to be congratulated. its something the endo’s office does for their patients. I won’t go into what I DON’T like about the doctor. LOL!!