Quick question

Avocados are something you either love or you don’t.

Paul, I would push for that LADA testing. Your doctor may not acknowledge LADA, but he certainly has heard of Type 1 adult slow onset? (One can hope). If he refuses I would see an endo. Your gradually but steadily climbing numbers so remind me of myself. Around the same time too: a bit over a year. If you are in fact type 1 those numbers will continue to climb.

Hey Paul,

Aw, sorry about that. Actually the taste of them is dependant on the kind you get too - Haas Avocadoes are more sweet - I prefer the California variety my self more buttery/eggy tasting and not as sweet.

Well, mostly avocadoes generally are not cooked. Mostly you see them in guacamole - which you could add things like spices, chopped tomatoes, onions, lemon or lime juice, creamy things (like sourcream or mayo) etc to them to create a different taste and use the avocadeo more like a dip or spread base. Some people use the avocadoe to make soups (even ice cream!).

I find that adding things too the avocadoe after you smash it up can help if you don’t like it straight - also the ripness of the avocadoe will effect its taste also. A perfect ripe one has no brown color, it easily scooped out of its skin and the pit come off with ease and it is easiy to cut and smash (like a bananna but slightly firmer). An not so quite ripe avocadoe can hav a slightly off taste - these will be too green and not easy to remove from the skin. Overly ripe avocadoes will be brown and also taste off. Easy way to ripen the avocadoe is to put it in a brown paper bag sealed up not refrigerated (sort of like what people do with green bananas). Once ripe, pop it in the refrig to keep it cool.

People do put avocadoes in omelettes too. I don’t like them cooked myself. But you could chop them up and add them at the last minute so they don’t get browned too much.

I love avocado’s, they are a great source of good fats. My point is that you get whacked dietary advice that you should avoid eggs because of dietary cholesterol and saturated fat and then your cardiologist will tell you to eat avocado instead. Besides, looks like Paul doesn’t like them.

In either case, you “should” try metformin. If it improves your blood sugar readings then that is an indicator that maybe you are a thin type 2. If it doesn’t work, then that gives you ammunition to demand antibody testing.

ps. And I agree with KimKat, the Haas California ones are the only that I will eat, the huge Florida ones s*ck.

Hey Paul,

Just wondering how long you have been doing diet and exercise to control your BGs (sorry if I missed in the posts some where)? Your profile says your A1C is 5.9 right now - is that latest? That said, did you ever have a really high A1C at one point and now got it down with diet changes and exercise?

Just wondering because as bsc says - it might be time to get some help from Metformin. My FBG was 205 when I was dx and I ate a lot of high carb stuff - my doctor wanted me to go on Met because my A1C was 9.2 but I was resistant too it. He got me all freaked about the A1C being too high (of course I didn’t fully understand the A1C at that time and I was scared my toes were gonna fall off from damage! LOL!). Even though I changed my diet and got rid of all the high carb stuff, the Met really helped. I mean, you still have to eat.

My numbers got under control within a few days of starting the Metformin also with diet change. I take the lowest dosage and so far I haven’t had to change it.

I think if you are noticing your numbers changing without much change in your other routines (diet,exercise) and it isn’t a isolated episode - you should talk to your doc. I am assuming you have had your c-peptide checked right?

Also, in the thin type2 vane, I posted a link to article that has some info on us Thin 2’s in the Thin group yesterday. It is really interesting. Basically, it IS possible to be a Thin type 2 so because you are not on any meds yet and this disease is progressive - you may now need them. But also get the proper tests to confirm you ARE a indeed a Type 2 - although, types aren’t super important in the long run, it is what treatment you might need keep your numbers down - no matter what it might be. The C-peptide will tell you if you need insulin and than if you don’t Met maybe the treatment of choice. If it doesnt work, get the other tests suggested for Type 1.

Anyway, that is how my doctor did it when I was dx. First checked to see if I needed insulin and than went from there since Met works for me - I haven’t gotten any other tests so far. :slight_smile:

If you are insulin deficient metformin will not help one bit. In the beginning I took 1500 mg of met per day for a whole year and the BGs were the same with or without the drug. sometimes insulin is the only game in town. Once you learn how to use it you can have near normal BG without too many lows. also external insulin may let your pancreas recover somewhat and you may be able to stop it.

What is external insulin? Once you are on insulin by choice for type 2 can you change your mind and come off of it??

Try avocado with an olive oil white wine vinegar dressing. Yum! They are better with mayonnaise, but ,

Yes some people have stopped insulin. External = injected.

My cholesterol/triglycerides/blood pressure have all been the lowest they have ever been since I adopted a low carbohydrate diet. No, I am not worried about it. They were high when I ate all the carbs… Now they’re perfect.

Well I was asking because I was told that if I were to become pregnant I would automatically be put on insulin…my question is what will happen after pregnancy?? I am currently well controlled with diet and exercise only and an A1C of 6.0.