Quirky Questions

1. So a classic reason for foamy pee is protein in your urine. But I have had foamy pee off and on. If you expel it really hard, it will also foam up, I guess I am guilty of that. In my view, if I had a problem with protein it would show up in the microalbumin test which is quite sensitive. You should be having those tests regularly (like quarterly) to monitor you kidney function. I regularly have microalbumin test, am fine, so I don’t worry about it.

2. Don’t Panic.I have been fortunate, I’ve got some working beta cells and I only have transient blood sugar spiked to the 200s and 300s and I only have grief when it sits in the 100s being unresponsive. I don’t have much personal experience, but I guess my approach would be to just correct, being careful to not stack my insulin and just do my best. And if after two tries or so, with a particularly high blood sugar (like 300s), I would increase my correction. High blood sugars can make you a bit insulin resistant. Oh, and did I mention “Don’t Panic?”

3. Green tea does contain caffeine, but usually less than coffee. It also contains things like tannins, catechins, and other things which may cause you problems. There have been reports of people claiming allergies to green tea. Green tea has been studied as a cause of asthma, and I did find one article on green tea induced allergies expressed by asthma. Bottom line, if self experimentation shows that something always raises your blood sugar, then it raises your blood sugar no matter what anyone tells you.

I do not know about the pee thing, but reading this reply, I wonder if you have an infection somewhere, a chest infection maybe? My blood sugar levels go up consistently, despite insulin if I have a cold or chest infection, even an infected nail can bring it up!

Drinking lots of water, and exercise will do it.

I did very little but eat yesterday - not much exercise and … and my sugar went up pretty high, but then I also have a chest infection and am on antibiotics. That can do it. I was not too alarmed, just injected more insulin and drank loads of water

I have just looked up foamy urine and it means that you are peeing proteinuria - potentially kidney damage, though to be sure, you must go and see the doctor soonest! Hope things are okay soon.

Are you serious!? I need to invest in a home sauna lol

Hope it is not this, but I think foamy pee can be a sign of
kidney problems.

Does other tea also do this to you? I drink tea daily and don’t note that much of a rise, although it could be the caffeine.

Luckily I have always been able to get my BS eventually, although it has taken some time before, and involved changing pump sites, bottles of insulin, etc.

Dead serious… i purchased a home sauna and if i am running high i hop in for 20-30 and i instantly see results
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-X-large-Infrared-Portable-Weight/dp/B0027831QS

Yeah, it does make sense, and I HAVE been rollercoastering. I have a BUNCH of syringes sitting unused since I went a-pumping, so I will have to try that. Thanks for the clue! (now I can’t say I’m clueless!) :slight_smile:

I don’t know when my last albumin test was – it may have been in September, just before my coma. If that’s true, I think it was normal, but I am worried that the acute kidney failure may have done some permanent damage. I have another appointment with a new endo in beginning of March, and he’s ordered the test, so I think I can wait a month.

My BG is currently rollercoastering between about 225 and 100, up and down and up again. Unrelated to food. I think maybe I need to “don’t panic” and wait for it to settle down!

I always appreciate your help! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I have an appointment in early March, and I think I will survive until then. Meanwhile, I may experiment with lowering the amount of protein I eat (which really isn’t excessive to begin with), just to see what happens.

Thanks for your caring! :slight_smile:

Hello Natalie:

How many times per day do you drink o-cha? Any food anywhere in the picture when you drink it (ie previous meal, snack)? Any chance you’ve bounced from some activity undertaken before you drank the tea, but was only discovered after deinking it?

There is nothing in fresh green tea I’m aware of, let’s explore this some more see if we can find an answer.
Stuart

1. No clue on the pee.

2. I take fast-acting insulin until my BG does go down. I will inject intra-muscular if it is really high and I want it down fast. If BG isn’t moving in an hour after intra-muscular, I’ll inject more. Intra-muscular injection is well explained in the Bernstein book - it’s the fastest injection without injecting in a vein (which I would never do). So I was doing this when I had a stomach virus and was spilling high ketones and needed much more insulin than normal. If that hadn’t worked, I would have made a trip to the ER.

3. You may have bought green tea with sugar added; it is available that way from some tea stores in this country. Check the label. Genuine Japanese green tea without sweetener is bitter - that’s why it is eaten with something sweet in Japan (and why it is sometimes pre-sweetened in this country). I drank lots of genuine Japanese green tea (with no sugar added) when I was in Tokyo for a few weeks and it had no effect on my blood sugar.

If you’re doing a low-carb diet, then you’re probably eating a lot of protein - either that or you’re eating lots of fats. Try to figure out how many grams by looking at a typical day’s food.

Well, this tea is straight from Japan; it was a gift from a friend. I usually drink it first thing in the morning, or around dinner time, and I usually drink it alone when I’m thirsty but not hungry. While my reading of Japanese is on about a 4th or 5th grade level, I read enough to tell whether there are added ingredients in it – it only says Tea. I wonder whether there is any natural sugar in green tea?
And thanks for your response! :slight_smile:

Some Japanese tea has rice added,but it should have rice on the label. Seems very odd that you have unexplained blood sugar rises unless there is something in the tea that is not on the label.

Natalie, do you notice a difference between varieties of green teas?

Saying the tea is straight from Japan, the implication is that the variety is sen-cha, the highest quality (and the only given as omiyage (gifts)). There is a variety we called popcorn tea (genmai-cha), so named for the small kernels of popcorn mixed with the tea leaves; I haven’t brewed any in quite a long time so can’t address the raised BG effect.

The other thought I had was relative to steeping time, but if you’re accustomed to sen-cha, then you know not to steep it very long at all. Another factor to play with, though…

Would love to hear the results of your research, too!

I have been dealing with the problem of high BG that won’t go down. I woke up wednesday with bg over 400, changed out pump set, threw up and spent rest of day working to bring it down. Finally, around 8 pm, it was 117, I did not recheck before going to bed, maybe should have, but woke up Thursday AGAIN with bg over 400!!! WTF!!! Again, changed set, threw up, and spent day working to lower BG. Guess what happened today? Same thing!!! Talk about frustration, I called pump company, they assured me it is not the pump, it is ME!!! How refreshing. BG last time I checked, after today, again spent working to bring BS down, was 127. So I am happy, or at least less freaked out, for the moment. I have appointment Wednesday with endo, sure hope to get some answers or at least reassurance that I am not dying anytime soon. Not to be a drama queen but all I can think is that my liver is konking out. Wouldn’t that be awesome? (insert heavy sarcasm here).

Dunno if it’s your liver, but SOMETHING is wonky!!! I hope your endo comes up with an answer!

A few articles about why your readings can go up when you don’t eat anything:

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/inspiration_expert_advice/expert_columns/garnero_0106.html

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/Diabetes_Definitions/Somogyi_Effect

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/Diabetes_Definitions/Dawn_Phenomenon

Basically, whenever your liver decides there isn’t enough glucose in your blood, it starts converting protein into glucose. It may or may not stop properly when you DO have enough. Drinking a little dry red wine can help - it can’t both detoxify the alcohol and convert protein into glucose at the same time.

Could it be a function of whatever you clean the toilet with, or possibly something in your home’s water supply?

I was told by my nephrologist (Kidney Doc) that foamy pee is a sign of protein in the urine…not a good thing…might want to ask the doc about it.