Raise in BG level

hi friend ,

How much will 25 grams of sugar increase our blood glucose level ? how long does 25 grams of sugar take to increase our blood glucose level when taken as a drink .?
kindly guide me through .

thanks in advance .

Everyone is different and certain things will affect this. In my case, a 200 lb male, 25 grams of sugar (or simple carbs) raises my blood sugar 50-75 mg/dl. I petite womain might find that 25 g of sugar raises their blood sugar 200-250 mg/dl. Remember that there are always variables that will affect his. The only way to understand your response is to test it. It is always good to know this as treating a hypo appropriately depends upon knowing this relationship. When fasting and with little rapid insulin on board, consume a measured amount of carbs and test your blood sugar. Your blood sugar will typically rise to a peak with dietary sugar with a half hour.

It takes 15 minutes for BS to rise after taking quick carbs (juice, glucose tabs, etc). Since you are on the pump if your settings are correctly adjusted, you can calculate how much 25 gm will rise your BS.
For example, if you carb ratio is 15 (1 unit for 15 gm carbs) and your sensitivity factor is 40 (1 units lowers your BS by 40), then 15 gm of carbs should increase your BS by 40. So, using this, I hope you can calculate, what 25 gm will do.
I can help you more if you give me those numbers. They are available in your Wizard Bolus Set up menu (then go to “review” settings).
Marina

Marina,

Do you think that calculating backwards like this gives you a good number? I know that these relationships are the basis for many of the formulas such as the 1800 and 500 rules. But many people have variable insulin sensitivity during the day, but I am not clear that carb sensitivity varies that much. What do you think?

This calculation is not exact, but gives you a very good idea how carbs affect your BS. The carb ratio and sensitivity factor are about the same throughout the day. They are intrinsic characteristics of the given individual, depending on the weight, lean body mass, insulin sensitivity, etc. The biggest variable in this equation is activity throughout the day, so I put different correction factor and /or carb ratio for work/school hours (depending on level of activity) compare to “watching TV” hours of the evening.
Marina

thats correct . i agree with you … thanks for your feedback …