Raspberry Custard (15 carb/serving)

When I got Dx'ed, Mrs Z was instantly appalled by the lo-fat hi-carb 'diebetic recipes' on the internet, read Scheiner's carb counting book, and started reconfiguring stuff she was already cooking. The following raspberry custard was so yummy I had to post it. (Tastes sweet, no artificial sweetners, few carb calories) It feeds 2-4, depending what you have with it. One serving has 15carbs, 380 calories, although I had 2 'servings' with several pieces of bacon, enough calories to last 9 hours.

I haven't figured out a good wine pairing, but it goes well with a few units of novolog :)

RASPBERRY CUSTARD

1/4 cup unsalted butter

2 cups raspberries

1/4 cup 1% milk

1/2 cup heavy cream

3 large eggs

2 tbs sugar

1/4 cup besan (chickpea flour)

1/4 cup almond flour

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degress (F). Melt butter in large deep pie plate in preheating oven. Mix all other ingredients except the raspberries in a blender; blend on low about 1 minute. When butter is melted, add it to the batter in the blender and blend about 2 minutes at medium speed. Arrange raspberries in the pie plate, then pour the batter over them. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until set. If desired, broil 1 to 2 minutes to brown the top.

--ZZ

Oh, I forgot...and a dash of salt.

-ZZ