Re-pumper thoughts/issues

hmmm thanks for all the info folks. I think I'll move up my basal testing up to tomorrow. For those that have done the basal testing, does that guide look about right (as far as the steps are concerned?)

So just tested just now (2 hours after eating and I'm @ 183) I used the bolus wizard to attempt to do a correction but it's not wanting me to bolus anything right now since I've still got about 2.5 units (with the wizard, it said the correction was 1.0 units and with the 2.5 units still active, it recommended 0). I went ahead and did a 1 unit correction (I've got my gels ready :) ) and I'll check again in an hour.

As for the basal testing, I realized I should probably wait till tomorrow since I'm scheduled to change my reservoir/infusion set tonight.

my endo - pump nurse did the same 25% decrease in MDI levemir when going on a pump too, most do. also I would and could never eat that many carbs and have a good number...I too rarely eat over 60 carbs per day. do you prebolus, wait a good 20 minutes before you eat? were you eating like that on MDI's and had good numbers?

as I said earlier, the bolus wizard can't give you a proper dose if the settings are not right in the first place. Once you learn what your insulin sensitivity is...set it for yourself. Do the same for all the settings. Who put the bolus wizard stuff in your pump?

You may want to check out Gary Scheiner’s basal testing protocol. Here’s the link:

http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/p_basaltest.shtml

I think it goes into a little more detail than what you showed above. The ideal is to maintain your blood glucose within a tight 30 mg/dL band for the entire period.

I used this method last summer and it left me with some solid customized basal rates. You have to be patient with this method. It took me four attempts at the overnight period to get it right. It took me about two weeks to finish the basal testing.

My pump trainer did. I think you folks are right that I'll have to take more of a pro-active role in setting up my pump.

Good! You won't be sorry. I learned by trial and error and have enjoyed pumping for years because of it.

Sarah - Maybe I was misinterpreting deathjamm’s description of his basal conversion calculation. He said, “They took the amount of lantus I was taking before and took 25% of that and made that my basal rate (divided by 24 of course).” Twenty-five percent of his Lantus dose is a 75% reduction, not 25%. A 25% reduction would make sense as a conservative starting point. A 75% reduction is simply an invitation for hyperglycemia. The high BG that he experienced is consistent with a basal rate set far too low.

Deathjamm, can you clear this up?

Same here; I think numbers from Endos, CDE's and Pump trainers, and even the formulas in books like Pumping Insulin are just baselines; then we have to tweak and tweak some more until we find what works for us.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from T1D is that the change game is never over.

I think I wrote it wrong, sorry! I meant they reduced it by 25% so it's set to 75% of my old dosage. I used to take 40 units of lantus and my basal is currently set to 1.15 units / hr (which when I do the calculation, I think she screwed up since dividing 30 / 24 gives me 1.25)

That makes more sense.

I haven't read either book. I found Think like a Pancreas:
http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Insulin--Completely/dp/0738215147/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364512069&sr=8-1&keywords=Think+Like+a+Pancreas

But when I search for Pumping Insulin, I get a lot of results back. Could you point me to the one you're referring to please

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Pumping+Insulin%3F

I'll definitely pick them up and read through them. Hopefully my library will have them otherwise I'll just order them.

thanks!

order this one:

Pumping Insulin: Everything You Need to Succeed on an Insulin Pump by John Walsh and Ruth Roberts (Jun 8, 2012)

Small update (03/29/2013)

I did do the overnight basal testing last night (with a 1.25 basal rate instead of the 1.15 my trainer initially set)

Pre-dinner I was @ 158 @ 7:36 and bolused at about 7:40pm

dinner was a baked salmon with salsa, some Kickin Collard Greens and half a cup of quinoa with some old bay and adobo seasoning.

3 hours later (ate dinner half after my bolus) 115 @ 10:48
110 @ 12:18
133 @ 1:50
120 @ 4:59
118 @ 8:48
123 @ 10:37. (this was my pre breakfast)

One thing I did notice with my verio IQ, the numbers were all over the board. I tested @ 7:30 and it came up with 230. Retested with a different finger and it came up with 183. Tested again (the third time) with my Contour next link (the pump meter) and it came up with 158

So I've got a stupid question. I currently stick my infusion set in my stomach and I'm going with the rotation as instructed. I always keep my pump in my right pocket (maybe this will have to change). When the infusion set is on the left side of my stomach, I run the tubing across my stomach under my shirt and into my right pocket. This means a good foot long portion of the tubing is always against my stomach. Would the body heat affect the insulin in the tubing?

It hasn’t for me, ever, including some pretty hot runs, 3-4 miles in the mid-90s