Ready for a Change

Gail,

I have noticed the Pod not recognizing the active insulin but I had mine set at 3 hours. I just switched it yesterday to 4 hours in hopes this would help. Sounds like I may need to keep a close eye on it as you are still having some problems. Thanks for the heads up! I haven’t noticed the correction amount around 140 - 150 but will look out for that one as well. I don’t usually correct when I’m around 150 just because I travel Internationally a lot and am usually by myself and try to stay a bit on the high side when traveling alone. After June, I’ll try to get my BGs much lower as I’m not traveling for about two months and this will be very helpful information!

I know I’ve only been on the OmniPod for a week now but I can’t say that I will switch to MM once they come out with their patch pump. I know OP is workinig on some modifications to their current pod (making is smaller) and I’m really excited about the DexCom communicating to the OP. I will definitely order a DexCom once they get this approved. This could make my travel life so much easier. I’ve tried MMs CGM and it was more trouble than it was worth. MM has disappointed me in the last year or so, I’m going to keep an open mind and continue to do my research as new technology gets approved. There are some other companies out there with patch pumps that also look very interesting. There are a lot of things about the OP that I think could be sleek’er and more updated but for now I’m enjoying my new found freedom and I do hope they can keep up with the times.

Please keep me updated as you come across some of these issues and I will do the same.

Vickie

Vickie,
My Dr. recommended that I cahnge mine from 4 hours to 5 hours. I’m going to do this today and see if it helps. It’s great to talk with you. Email me at any time with issues or questions. Great to know that we’re at about the same point moving from MM to OP. I haven’t even looked into the DexCom yet, but I had used the MM CGM an it was too much work. I know it’s still evolving technology, but it wasn’t worth it to me. I think I’ll start taking a look at the DexCom, is this integration to happen soon? I get the Intl travel concerns. I traveled internationally for years and you have to be careful.

MM has disappointed me as well. They’ve been loyal, but as I’ve had numerous issues with their infusion sets over the past 9 months, it’s been hard for me to get them to acknowledge there were known problems until just recently. Acknowledgment felt good, but the issues with the infusion sets remain, thus my switch to trial the OP. Keep in touch.

Vicki,

I’m waiting for my new Pod, been with MM for many years. I have a question about the pod security though- I MT Bike often and I’m concerned the boucing around may loosen the pump. Have you had any issues like this?

Depending on where you’re wearing it at the time, a self-adhesive wrap (one name brand is Coban, but CVS and Walgreens sell their own brands for a lot cheaper) can be good for securing the pods during heavy activity. I usually wrap pods if their on my arms or thighs when I’m going to play racquetball or softball or basketball.

I mountain bike 7 days a week for over 3 hours a day, its my true passion. I have had the omnipod for about 6 months and have only lost one pod while cycling. I dont use any wraps of anything like that, I just try and place the pod right. If its on your arm, keep it vertical with the cannula pointing up. If its on your leg, vertical with cannula pointing down. If its on your stomach, try keeping it on the flanks with it horizontal but at an angle. The leg is a great place for cycling because your shorts will naturally keep it secured. Also, use skin tac if you sweat, that has helped me al ot. And try to avoid trees over course haha. Enjoy.

Vicki,
I may be speaking from inexperience, however I’ve used to OmniPod for 2 years and just switched to the MiniMed Paradigm 523. My average glucose was around a 174mg/dl which left me with a 7.1 or so a1c. Since being on the MiniMed, I’ve dropped the average glucose to 115mg/dl and have yet to have an a1c completed (on the new pump for under 3 months).

The software the MiniMed provides is web based and can be uploaded directly to your endocrinologist. I also am still on the Dexcom 7+ which I used in combination with the OmniPod. This sensor seems to be the best out there, and although I am waiting to be shipped the CGM for MiniMed, I have heard it is not as reliable (glitchy). I love my Dexcom, and told the Endo that I would give the MiniMed a try, because after all it does integrate with the pump.

I have a very slim build, and always have, but one of the many problems I ran into with the OmniPod was the cannula being automatically inserted, which hit muscle most of the time, and insulin bursts would occur hours after they were supposed to leaving me hypo. The injection kit which you may actually be more familiar with (Sure T’s) allow for much better rotation and customization of the site, smaller needles as well… The other problems I ran into with the pods were the fact that in any given box of 10 I could expect 1-2 to be defective (not lasting the full 3 days, or defective AFTER filling with insulin).

Anyways, I hope my two cents have given you some information about the OmniPod and the MiniMed pumps, and hope you make a decision that works for you! Good Luck!

i’ve been on the MMparadigm for 6 years now and i too am tired of the tubing… i am seriously thinking about the omni but wondered if medtronic is coming out with a tubeless pump soon. anyone that has switched to an omni and have great results, with it would sure help me in my decision… thanks…

This is all heard from a person who heard from a person but one of the pump reps told me they talked to a Endo who advises for MM and he said MM scrapped what they had been working on because the advisors did not think their product would sell very well based on what was currently on the market or coming soon out on the market.

With the FDA’s new focus on infusion pumps I would not advise waiting for any hope a new device will be on the market soon. I would guess that it will be at least until mid next year until ANY new pump comes out and I believe that even that is hopeful. The FDA is really messing with the pump market whether they be integrated devices or patch pumps. Medtronic’s Revel got approved just before this all went down.

PLEASE anyone that has used any pump and moved to the Omni Pod listen up. The Omni system does not track/take into account IOB for carbohydrates, It only tracks IOB for correction. I think the Omni system is great for all those who are looking for such systems but you should know this detail. It is VERY important particularly for those switching from MM/Animas to Omni. I got myself into trouble using a demo of the Omni system and not realizing this!

i asked my doctor about the omnipod… as i wanted to change. i have a MM 522. she did not recommend it…

Katzz…my doctor didn’t want me to change either. But I’ve been on the pod for 6 months now and absolutely LOVE it. No regrets! Good luck! Do your research and if you still want to switch challenge your doctor to tell you why she doesn’t like it. Sometimes they go with what they know.

I’m just starting my research on pumps now. I’ve been reading that Animas is partnered with DexCom. I was told yesterday when I was talking to their rep that the Vibe (their newer pump with CGM) won’t be released until early next year. I didn’t know that OmniPod was working with DexCom also. Looks like I have some more reading to do! :slight_smile:

From my recent experience with changing from an Animas Ping to the new Revel MiniMed 723 it makes total sense to see what you would like and how far in the future is there going to be a newer and better mouse trap? The new pump is not set up yet and still using my Ping. Its not that I wanted to switch I lost the ability to use my Dexcome CGM. an allergy to the adhesive was terrible and secondarily it cause a skin infection. Without my insurance company this trade would never have happened. With all my calculations i believe there is about 9,000- 10,000 dollars sitting in the cabinet right now. So I can see where one would question there decision making in this boat that you are sailing in. Good luck
Jim RN (CEN) Certified Emergency Room Nurse)

I wish all of the companies would provide demo units of their pumps. It would really help in the decision making process!!!!!!

not all doctors are into change but they dont understand some of the issues we all face when we make our decisions on pump choices. sometimes we make changes to the way we take care of ourselves and it works better, some will make choices and find it doesnt work out so we go back to what works the best. letting a doctor make choices for us is not always in our best interest. sometimes we have to push harder to get things done or try and decide what to do. i have been on the omnipod and need to make a switch cause of having carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and the buttons are too hard to push. i was talking to my doctor and even trying to use syringes is hard at times and i dont always have people home to help me. when i mentioned the t:slim she is all for it cause it works like my cell phone, all touch screen and i may still need help with insertion of the insets but not to actually take my insulin. the timing of set changes will work out with my husbands work schedule for now till i get the strength back in my hands to go back to the omnipod, solo or jewel. which ever is out when my hands are strong enough to start again. Good luck in your fight to get what you find will help you take care of yourself. I have never stuck with the doctor choices or recommendations for the insulin pumps, when i started they pushed minimed. my daughter had one and it was always failing for her, i seen animas and it was new for this area. my educator was very willing to learn and i started, when omnipod came out new, my educator was again willing to learn. now i have chosen to start the t:slim and we are waiting for shipping to begin and even my new doctor is all excited to see how things go. I am not excited about going back to tubing but i dont like depending on anyone to help me take care of myself, i have always been independant and plan on it until things require me to rely on others.
again good luck to you to push for change and taking care of yourself with things that make you comfortable.

please do keep us informed