Really curious----Do you SNACK regularly?

When I was diagnosed in 1963, all insulin was long lasting--the words bolus and basal were never used, and the diet was strict and now seems really out of date. Breakfast was 1 bread, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit and 1 milk. So a piece of toast with butter, 1/2 an apple and an 8 ounce glass of milk. I was 10. I was constantly hungry.

THE BEST PART OF MY DAY WAS THE "BEFORE BEDTIME" SNACK. It was always to same: 1 graham cracker (the only sweet thing besides diet sodas I ate)and 4 ounces milk. The graham cracker allotted was a half: 3" X 3"

With a pump and more freedom I never snack. I eat 3 (sometimes 2) fairly small meals per day (between 40-60 carbs), and only eat beyond that if I have low glucose readings.

So, is snacking part of your daily routine? Why? (question is scientific in nature--I am really curious about this.) THANKS!!!!

Nope, practically none at all. With a pump, I eat three full meals a day. Every once in a while, I'll roast some almonds for a movie snack, or eat of few nachos (dosing if need be) if I'm being social, but the days of random chips and donuts are gone.

That being said, I do "correct" and "anticipate" a lot. So, if I'm low, I'll eat whatever I feel will get me back to where I need to me. Might be a pack or two, or five, of Smarties, might be Yoplait yogurt.

If I'm heading off to a work-out, I might have a granola bar and banana, or whatever, if I know I'll be crashing in the middle. I still might need to correct at some point with whatever does the trick.

Technically, I suppose, I eat "snack food", but I think of it as being purposeful and an integral part of my management. I guess, in the grand scheme of things, the foods I choose do help keep the munchie monster at bay though.

No, I don't snack at all. My understanding was it was somewhat necessary with the older insulins, but that is way before my time! I eat three meals a day. If I'm low I exclusively use glucose tablets.

Nope, no "regular" snacks for me. On the rare occasion I get a hunger pang, I grab a few carrot sticks or a small apple or a few grapes or whatever is in season. Always a fresh fruit or veggie, so my snack is nutritious and delicous.

Nope no regular snacks, sometimes on rare occasions I will have something after lunch or dinner but it's only because I have to much active insulin from my bolus, after breakfast is almost never a issue. My insulin requirements drop of all day so if I have a problem it's almost always at night.

Interesting and THANKS. I am attending the DO IT program at the Joslin Center and they seem to be all about snacks--snacks they will serve (often, it seems) and that I am responsible for bringing my own "before bedtime snacks' when I am in the hotel and not getting food from them. I guess I want some collateral when I refuse to eat them.

Anybody not eat breakfast? NEVER liked it and was forced to eat it on "older insulin" (loved Zoe's phrasing,) so I eat it occasionally--when hungry or doing something physical in the morning.

It will be interesting to hear if they are providing snacks just to be available if anybody wants them (as many conferences of all types do) or if they actually advocate them and if so, I'd be interested to hear what their rationale for this is. Actually I will be interested in hearing your experience there in general!

As for rationale for not eating them, "I'm not hungry" is a good one..lol. If I was asked to elaborate I would also say that I have a lower appetite at this point in my life and also gain weight very easily so adding both unnecessary food and its corresponding insulin is not something I would want to do

Like others, I don't snack on a schedule (anymore).

As a T2, treating with diet/exercise/meds the old paradigm of scheduled food, in small doses, throughout the day is required. I used to graze 6-8 times a day, 3 modest to small meals at the usual times, with snacks in between. It was suffocating. For years.

As a result my "compliance" was poor, as was my BG control.

Voluntarily went on insulin in June, approved for a pump & CGM a month later. I can't put in to words how liberating it has been.

I now eat like a normal person. I don't snack unless I need to. My metabolism actually goes in to fasting mode 3x a day. BG control is superb.

I begin my workday at 7 am. I wouldn't get through the first hour without breakfast.

Just a note. I think the usage of "snack" is pretty loose here. I wouldn't consider a bedtime "snack" a snack, as in an "indulgence". I sometimes have something before I go to bed if I think I'm too low or I think I have done something that will send me into an overnight low. When I was on Lantus, I wouldn't go to bed with a BG less than 120 so I had a bedtime snack more often than not.

If you can show in your BG records that you're not having overnight hypos without a bedtime snack, I'm not sure why they would insist you eat something you don't need.

I do snack, but it's mostly because of not being able to quite get the right basals on MDI. (2u is too little but 3 has me dip.) I know that I won't make it a full 5-6 hours between meals. Overnights are a toss-up as to whether I'll be stable or go low, so I usually hedge bets with the small snack then too. Plus, I'm trying to gain weight. So a little extra cheese or sunflower seeds isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Hope you learn lots on the trip!

im the same as roodgirl-my two a.m.units werent doing it suddenly and now im on 3 in the a.m. snacking here and there, not so much in the morning but late afternoon/evening im really feeding the insulin. i enjoy it, im am a bit piggy, always have been.

my nightly 7 units hasnt made me low at night yet as my dinner is really late-live in spain, work in the evenings till 10pm.

I was Dx'd T2 16 months aso... Since Dx, I've literally been hungry constantly. At first, I'd snacked on almonds, but oddly, that raised my BG, so I stopped. More recently, I find that I snack on peanuts, cashews, and occasionally peanut butter. I see little impact on mt BG (my potassium levels are always high-normal though from the peanuts!). I also take a snack late at night - usually a small dish of low carb ice cream - which has helped me control/alleviate dawn phenomenon.

I don't know a thing about the DO IT program... Joslin should know better than to promote snacks in my opinion.

As for breakfast, I don't like it either. I enjoy a nice big creamy cup of joe, and that is my breakfast :)

Enjoy DOING IT !!

ps - I notice this is in the Children With Diabetes Forum, so I will jump back in and say that kiddos for sure need snacks!

As usual, Zoe, that is great advice. Thanks.

Yes, I snack. During the day if I am going out in the garden to work & I test my BG if it's low normal I eat some gluten free nut crackers & spread to get me through the exercise. I always correct lows with a suitable amount of glucose tablets ( thank goodness for the 1g Dex4 Glucose bits) & add some crackers if I'm going top be active. But I do tend to snack at about 6pm to 8pm when I am getting dinner ready but I bolus for this. Yes I eat late. I never eat a bedtime snack it always pushes my BG up during the night.

I always eat breakfast, usually a boiled egg, toast & fruit. I've given up the OJ which was spiking my BG afterwards.

Spock, when I was diagnosed in 1961 at age 18, I think my diet was less severe than those. About 1500 calories a day with 192 grams carbohydrate. But as you say it was 1 injection a day which never varied. I think I started NPH & R in the late 70s but still no BG testing until the 80s.

I do snack when I take my basal within a 2-3 hours after the evening/afternoon, if I'm active I always need it- usually I have some candy and nuts. And I almost always snack before bed with my 2-3 am basal. Again some nuts and cheese usually and tea. I did this before D because I usually can't sleep without a snack. Now to stop lows also. I have always eaten a lot of small frequent meals and usually a larger evening meal also when active. Now I eat two meals usually and one snack with bg snacks thrown in when needed too. I always eat breakfast, always have- it used to be granola and fruit with green tea, sometimes eggs. Now it's usually eggs, veggies, cheese and green tea sometimes with berries and nuts although the past week I have had almond flour pancakes with butter, unsweetened jam and berries, delicious! Today I had green pepper, a small piece of chicken, walnuts and green tea and I didn't eat till I got to work because I was in a rush and I woke up high. I think I prefer some protein in the morning/afternoon though. I never go without food unless I'm sick or fasting for some reason- bad for my stomach(reflux), brain and body.

I snack in the evenings b/c I like eating junk food and having beer, not any sort of diabetes strategy. I often just "overshoot" for dinner and munch away on the back end.

I don't do that often ("overshoot" dinner :) ), but man, did I do that last night! Got four cookies, an orange and some jellybeans for my 'trouble!'

Just to clarify: I'm not talking about just raiding the cupboard when you feel like it. I am talking about regularly scheduled snacks eaten every day, as part of diabetes control.

I would have to increase my TDD in order to snack, and I already struggle with my weight. It sounds like the program is really set up for Basal insulin users, I guess thats really the focus, most insulin users are not pumpers and many are even using a mixed regiment. I would say a DOC like TU is not a good representation of main street America when discussing insulin treatment plans. Every Dietitian I have worked with has suggested snacks and I under stand, they are all still singing form very old hem books. I believe there suggestions can work, but many of us understand there is a much easer more predictable way than feeding our insulin with carbs. Everytime I put food in my mouth it's like spinning the roulette wheel and guessing will it be Black or Red......

I doesn't get much easier than 3 simple meals spaced 5-6 hours apart in the middle of the day when you know you have no more active insulin when dosing for the next meal.

Have they explained what the snack is for?