Recommend your cpap

Hey everyone, sorry I’ve been a bit MIA! My husband was diagnosed with Moderate (borderline severe) OSA on Tuesday morning. We’ve been looking at cpap machines but are waiting for a follow up appointment to see what they recommend. What have any of your experiences been with them? My husband is hoping that it will help him keep his morning numbers lower!

I won’t say it has helped my BG numbers much at all, but it has helped quite a bit with my tiredness.

They really didn’t give me much choice on machine, and actually if it wasn’t for the fact they were out of the cheaper crappier one they had I would not have gotten the one I have. I have a Resmed Airsense 10, and it is pretty good. I don’t have anything else to compare it with though.

One thing to keep in mind, for most insurance companies there is no update period. The only time you can get a new machine and have them pay is when the machine becomes completely un-serviceable. As in, it can’t be fixed because they don’t make parts for it anymore and don’t make the same unit either. You can of course pay for one yourself if you want. I was told though that if i bought one from a different company than a local place that no one would service it, and I would have to send it to someone else to have the pressure adjusted. I feel like that is a little bit of BS, and I have a feeling I could probably find a way to adjust things myself…

Also the power brick died on mine once and the insurance didn’t cover replacement. It was about 60-70 dollars, so I ended up buying a cheap aftermarket one.

I have to use a full face mask, and my favorite I have found so far has been the Resmed F20. Finding the right mask is the most frustrating part.

2 Likes

For those of us lucky enough to not need a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine and therefore unfamiliar with the terms, I believe that OSA = obstructive sleep apnea.

By the way, there have been many discussions here about this topic if you want to read some other accounts, just click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of this page and input a search term like, “sleep apnea.”

I don’t have this challenge but three of my older siblings do. My awareness of this condition is heightened.

2 Likes

Whatever machine you choose (and I recommend the ResMed line) make certain it has data capability so that you can review your detailed sleep data in OSCAR, on open source CPAP analysis peporter. The program download is available here:. https://www.SleepFiles.com/OSCAR

Also, review this thread at apneaboard.com forum before choosing a machine:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Machine-Choices-read-this-before-you-accept-a-new-machine

Best of luck!

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice and recommendations. We’ll for sure look into the OSCAR!

I started using a CPAP machine about seven months ago for moderate OSA. I haven’t seen much change in my blood sugar, but it has greatly improved my sleep quality and energy level.

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and, from what I read, this is one of the best machines. I really like it. I have a nasal pillow mask (AirFit P10) and a full face mask (AirFit F20) and switch between the two depending on how bad my allergies are. I find both really comfortable and barely even feel them once I got used to them.

I’ve found the only negative to the machine for me is that it’s tipped my luggage over the edge into being unmanageably heavy when I travel. But I don’t think this would be a problem at all for the average person. I just have to bring so much with me already, including all my food, that my luggage is ridiculous. I’m going to look into whether one of the tiny travel machines would be affordable for me to purchase out of pocket to use for travel purposes or when crashing at a friend’s house and so on.

Good luck on getting set up with the machine. I have quite a detailed thread on this forum about my journey beginning CPAP therapy.

2 Likes

No blood sugar help, but I like the ResMed dream machine. Do yourself a favor and get a humidifier. Humidification is a wonderful add on.

1 Like

Once when travelling I went two nights without putting any water in my machine (I find I can’t use tap water, it triggers my allergies and makes it hard to breathe). I wouldn’t recommend going without the humidification! I woke up both mornings with a bloody nose because it was so dehydrated.

I do find that humidification is a setting that takes some fiddling to get right. It’s changed over the seasons and also seems to change at random at times. In the winter I was using a heated tube (to help keep the air warm and humidified) and had all my humidification settings on auto. But now that it’s warmer out, that provides way too much heat and I wake up with my mask full of water, so I’ve switched to standard tubing and set my humidification on manual at a middle level (I had it lower, but was waking up stuffed up, so bumped it up a notch).

I recently started using a cpap (APAP) and while I think that it helps my sleep, etc. I don’t think it has affected my BG levels.
RedMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with Swift FX nasal pillows. Works great.
And I agree, having the humidifier running really helps!
I got a hose cover, and used a 15 watt reptile heater to make my own heated hose for cheap!
The warmer hose really helps with rainout. It also feels more comfortable to breath.

Haven’t noticed any correlation to CPAP use and BG. Helping with sleepiness is only one aspect of CPAP use. What I feel is more important is O2 saturation. Sleep study showed about 70 when anything under 90 is considered low. Particularly bad for heart.

I’ve used a CPAP type machine for about 25 years now - started it when my wife said I had to do something about my snoring or she would move to the guest bedroom. I’ve used machines by ResMed, Respironics, and Puritan-Bennett, listed in order by liked to disliked. I’ve probably used 20 different mask brands/types.

Machines: after my first machine, I have always insisted that my doc specify an APAP (automatic positive airway pressure) type. They are much more flexible in therapy, ad they sense your need for pressure and give it. For example, my last machine was set for a minimum pressure of 8 and a maximum of 14. It runs at 8 unless it senses I am snoring or have an apnea episode, in which case it will increase the pressure until the problem is corrected. The cost is the same as a regular CPAP. But your doc will have to write the Rx to be for an APAP.

As for masks, I use a full-face mask. Currently it is a ResMed Quattro, with the ResMed Amara View. Oming in second. I haven’t used a nasal cushion type mask, but hear that they work well for some people. I was using the ResMed Ultra Mirage II nasal mask for years but found that its pressure on my upper teeth caused them to shift in my mouth over night and so it was affecting my bite during the day. Thank goodness my dentist was a CPAP user and knew what to have me change - get a full-face mask.

Humidifiers: gotta have it. It’s recommended to use distilled water but I use tap water - I have very good tap water. The humidifiers that are integrated with the CPAP/APAP machines are adjustable for how much it works. The heated tubing on some machines is great.

Now, after all this time on a machine, I am addicted. I can’t sleep without the CPAP. BUT…no effect on my BG.

My dream setup is a ResMed S10 with the humidifier, heated tube, and Quattro mask. I use Citrus II wipes for daily cleaning (Amazon).

One more suggestion: check out CPAP.COM. not necessarily to buy, but they have just about everything and give good advice and tips.

Honestly, after only seven months I can’t even take a nap without it. I don’t think it’s addiction, though…I just think my body likes breathing a lot better than not breathing. :wink:

As my cardiologist jokes, “Your problem is your heart, but we can quickly stop that.”

I nap in my recliner chair, but pay for it afterwards with a sore throat from snoring and complaints from SWMBO (she who must be obeyed). In bed, if I don’t use the machine, I just don’t sleep. Which does provide another suggestion: buy a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and plug the CPAP machine into it. Then if you have a power outage, the CPAP will continue to run for a while. And, the surge protection will keep the CPAP from getting fried from a close lightning strike. I use an APC 1000 watt-hour UPS. It will run the CPAP for nearly an hour in a power outage. The thing will beep without utility power but I can ignore that.

I’m going to look into getting a tiny travel machine for when I travel for work, and then it would also be useful for power outages, earthquakes, or napping on the couch. :slight_smile: Of course, whether I can afford it is the real question.

I’ve been on a CPAP for about 12 years. I am still using the first machine I got, a Philips Resperonics REMStar M-Series with A-Flex. It work as well as the day I got it. It’s never needed any kind of repair and shows no sign of quitting. I was on a setting of 9 when switched it to auto/APAP on my own. I set the range to 9 - 14. I had a sleep study a few months later and they said that was spot on.

Not much help for bG, as other have said. But I loved it from the first night. I woke up the next day feeling like I’d already had a coffee, and said, “I’m going to go have a coffee!” It makes a huge difference if I don’t use it.

I’m currently using the ResMed Airfit F20. I find nasal cushions (a single opening the fits under both nostrils) or pillows (a slight extension that goes into each nostril) causes irritation. So for me , it full face or nothing.

My machine is the last to store data on a smartcard. My sleep doc recently stopped reading those cards, since most of his patients either have data transmitted to their phone, or use an SD-card. I have a card reader arriving in the mail soon. and will try to read the card myself.

Good luck! Hope that helps.