Recovered Anorexic/Bulimic Turned Diabetic Turned Overweight

Hello all! I'm 34 years old, recovered from Anorexia and Bulimia now for over 8 years.

I struggled with Anorexia and Bulimia from age 12 to age 25. Had a lot of treatment (both inpatient and outpatient) and, while still slightly underweight I was diagnosed as 'pre-diabetic'.

Fast forward 7 years and 155 pounds later, I found myself a full blown obese insulin dependent diabetic diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid condition, Celiac Disease, and Cancer.

Being diabetic is challenging enough. Being an obese recovered Anorexic Diabetic is even more of a challenge.

I am getting married next May, and obviously feeling the pressure even more now to lose the weight. Having a hard time losing it though :(

Anyone been in this position before? Just looking for some peeps with similar stories.

Thanks in advance :)

I can relate to you in several ways.

Congratulations on your 8 year recovery :) I am also recovered from anorexia and bulimia, for about a year, and I have only recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance/prediabetes. I can definitely relate to how dreadful it feels to be overweight and obese after having been anorexic ... even though I know I am healthy(er) in recovery every now and then I can't help but think of myself as a "failure" or that I've "let myself go" with all this weight. Sometimes I feel so guilty as if my eating disorders caused my blood sugar problems (even though I have a strong genetic link to diabetes).

I am also getting married in the spring - my wedding is at the beginning of June! I know it is hard but try to ignore and question the extra pressure. Tell people you aren't interested in talking about weight. Read up on the "health at every size" and body acceptance movements if you haven't already. Immerse yourself in them. Your fiance is marrying you because he loves you ... not a skinnier version of you. You are going to look absolutely stunning at your wedding ... promise :)