Rectal application for insulin

This one is a couple of weeks old, but was simply too funny not to pass on. It seems that Oramed Pharmaceuticals, Inc. recently announced the addition of two provisional patents for -- I kid you not -- a suppository application for insulin!! I almost fell out of my chair from laughter when I read this -- its much funnier than insulin toothpaste.

Several other message boards online featured a variety of comments about this news item, which ranged from “this invention stinks (can you guess why?)” to “I wonder if its politically correct to dose insulin suppositories in public?”. Everything but the cure, huh?!

1 Like

Ouch! :slight_smile:

Um…wow…um…hmm…really?

Talk about making diabetes a pain in the…um…

No comment! LOL

I hadn’t seen this in a while. Thought I’d “bump” it in the forum, so other members could have a laugh too. :slight_smile:

It’s great to know they are keeping our egos in check. Someone should give it to them in the rear!

That’s just downright halirious! And I agree with you everything but a cure! Will the scientist ever figure that it might help if they come up with that one?

oh that would go over so well with my son lol, and he also hates getting his teeth brushed!

This probably would be used for debilitated nursing home patients who can’t swallow and have fragile skin.

I have been spending some time with extremely old people in a nursing home-type situation and all I can say is that we folks with diabetes should thank God we aren’t likely to live into our 90s. There are families around who pray daily that their loved one WILL have a heart attack to end the misery of their existence. But they don’t. People can live for many years minus brain function subjected to indignities you never dreamed possible.

OMG!!

I haven’t laughed like that in ages. I’ll stick to my injections, thank you very much!!

It had been a while since I saw this. It always makes me laugh! :slight_smile:

(apologetically shrugs) We’re trying…!

Forget about rectal delivery systems, LOL! Though I suppose they are investigating for quick absorption of insulin… Whatever happened to Oral-lyn, sprayed into the cheek, absorbed very quickly from the mucous membranes of the mouth into the bloodstream. It was supposedly going to be released in Ecuador and India. Claimed to be superior to injected bolus insulin because of speed of absorption. And, for those still on MDI, no shots for meals, just spray.

What a literal pain. Talking about making D a real pain

ROTFLOL:D

There is a reason for delivery of oral insulin in gut. So it can bypass the acid in stomach and get absorbed by body.

Here is new approach in making insulin producing cell in gut.

The gut cells, called K cells, sit at the surfaces of tiny, fingerlike projections in the gut lining. These cells normally release a hormone called glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide, or GIP, into the bloodstream after meals. This hormone helps prepare the pancreas to make insulin to respond to the post-meal surge of blood sugar, so the K cells are roughly synchronized with the pancreas.

Cheung’s team created tiny rings of DNA containing the gene for insulin. To coax the cells into releasing insulin at the right time, they also included a snippet of DNA on the rings that normally activates GIP after a meal. But because the snippet was linked to insulin instead of GIP, once the rings were inserted into K cells, the cells that produced GIP also produced insulin when the body needed it

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/33399/title/Stomaching_diabetes

No thanks. I am still trying to find my insulin pump I think I hid up there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ewww gross! lol (-:

Tea splattering all over the keyboard, screen, desk … as Stuart chokes with hysterical laughter…

wowza…you have to do this with each meal? LMAO…excusing yourself at a restaurant??..crazy and I’m falling off my chair…

Because this one is on TOP on all of our lists for treatment advances …

Oramed Pharmaceuticals Launches Phase 1A Trials Of Its Insulin Suppository
October 24, 2008

Oramed Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (OTCBB: ORMP.OB), a developer of alternative drug delivery systems, announced today that it has received approval from the South Africa Medicines Control Council (MCC) to begin conducting Phase 1A trials on eight healthy human volunteers for ORMD 0802, the company’s newly developed insulin suppository.

Oramed’s Phase 1A trials on its insulin suppository mark an important step in the history of insulin delivery as it will provide a painless option for diabetics who seek an alternative to current delivery methods. An insulin suppository is especially important for small children and seniors, who often struggle with injections.

“The Phase 1A trial of our insulin suppository is a natural expansion of Oramed’s pursuit and development of alternative insulin delivery systems,” said Oramed’s CEO, Nadav Kidron. “By creating an insulin suppository, Oramed hopes to ensure that diabetics will be able to receive insulin in the form which is most suitable to their lifestyle and/or age.”

This Phase 1A trial follows Oramed’s announcement of its successful Phase 2A clinical trials on its oral insulin capsule, ORMD 0801, which demonstrated that the product has a strong safety profile and was well tolerated, as well as being effective in lowering blood glucose levels, in patients with type 2 diabetes.

About Oramed Pharmaceuticals

Oramed Pharmaceuticals is a technology pioneer in the field of oral delivery solutions for drugs and vaccines presently delivered via injection. Oramed is seeking to revolutionize the treatment of diabetes through its patented flagship product, an orally ingestible insulin capsule currently in phase 2 clinical trials. Established in 2006, Oramed’s technology is based on over 25 years of research by top research scientists at Jerusalem’s Hadassah Medical Center. The Company’s corporate and R&D headquarters are based in Jerusalem.

For more information, please visit www.oramed.com

Forward-looking statements

Some of the statements contained in this press release are forward-looking statements which involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results, performance or achievements of the company, or industry results, to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward looking statements, including the risks and uncertainties related to the progress, timing, cost, and results of clinical trials and product development programs; difficulties or delays in obtaining regulatory approval for our product candidates; competition from other pharmaceutical or biotechnology companies; and the company’s ability to obtain additional funding required to conduct its research, development and commercialization activities. Please refer to the company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission for a comprehensive list of risk factors that could cause actual results, performance or achievements of the company to differ materially from those expressed or implied in such forward looking statements. The company undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/126633.php

No thanks.