Reducing Basal rate - Ideas or Input appreciated

Ok, so my situation is probably not typical. I’ve been searching online but have not found any really useful information. I do plan on bringing this up at my next appointment in Oct, but just want to be as educated on this as possible.

I’ve been working really hard to lower my A1c and as such at my last appointment in July we made some changes to my basal rates - slightly increasing. Since then I’ve noticed a few pounds of weight gain. I’m on the bottom end of the healthy weight range for my height, so people may not think it’s a big deal. However, as a professional dancer (ballet) and a model, my job requires me to be fairly thin.

I’d like to reduce my basal rate so I can prevent any further weight gain but the typical things recommended don’t apply to me.

I exercise for a living - 6-8 hours of dancing/day and on top of that go to the gym (treadmill) and do Pilates and Yoga. On weekends I’m usually hiking with my hubby.

I have Celiac disease and limit my carb intake. I eat a lot of veggies and protein. I make almost everything I eat from scratch and use organic items as much as possible.

So, what else can I do to lower my basal rate and still maintain BG control.

I don’t want anyone to think I’m being unreasonable but you have to understand my situation is not typical. I can’t just accept gaining weight, even if I’m already thin…it’s not an option for me.

Are there any herbal supplements known for increasing insulin sensitivity?

Any other ideas?

That’s what I figured. I need to find a nutritionist that can give me more then the basic this is a carb this is a protein, eat a balanced diet talk. Which in my experience is hard to find. Especially finding one that knows anything about celiac disease on top of the rest.

I’m prone to disordered eating so I’m scared to just cut calories on my own.

I think if I wasn’t so rigid with my weight it wouldn’t be a big deal. For the average person, a 4-5 pound weight gain or loss is hardly noticeable. I’ve asked my hubby and of course he says he can’t tell what I’m talking about…but I a see a difference and I can feel a difference in the way my clothes are fitting.

I have been experiencing quite a few lows so that probably has something to do with it as well…added calories for treating the lows. Guess my best bet is to shop around for a good nutritionist…

And hopefully address the low BG’s because either my basal is too high or my carb ratio is wrong.

My Endo said to use a temp basal of 50% when I’m active, but that means I’m on a temp basal almost all day. So I think I need to actually have a set of basal patterns to go with my lifestyle.

I’m meeting with my CDE in a month, she’s much more helpful then my Endo…my endo didn’t even know how my pump worked or my CGMS…the CDE had to explain it to her…scary.