Replacement of CGM due to water damage via vandalization

I was at the beach last weekend and left my CGM in my camp chair while I went in the water, to find that a little girl picked it up and took it to the water and soaked it with water and sand upon realizing it was not a gameboy. I got it through the VA and have only had it a few months. As far as replacing it goes, since water damage is not covered, would it be better to say that it was lost? Is there a vandalism clause? How difficult is it to have the Dexcom replaced? Any suggestions would be of great use, thankyou.

The charge is $300 whether you lost it or had water damage. Lying about it is not going to help anyone. These companies read these message boards and by posting here trying to come up with a good lie, you are making it harder for people who do have legitimate warranty problems with their Dexcom. My suggestion is to be honest about it.

Your exact words were, “As far as replacing it goes, since water damage is not covered, would it be better to say that it was lost?”

I did not say that it was your fault that the little girl took it into the water. All I said was that you need to be honest about what happened. You are the one that stated you wanted to lie. My BS has been in the 80s and 90s most of the day, I was not low.

I have plenty of relatives in the military. I was raised to be an honest person and do not condone lying. My brother is currently in Afghanistan and he would not condone lying.

Re-read your post and ask which one of us is the names you so-nicely called me in your last paragraph.

You might be able to claim through your homeowners insurance, but your deductible is probably more than the replacement price.

Just in case you decide to delete what you wrote, here it is, time stamp and all. Note that I did the bolding to the exact phrase.

Posted by Wednesday on August 15, 2011 at 1:07pm in Continuous Glucose Monitoring Forum
Send Message View Discussions
.I was at the beach last weekend and left my CGM in my camp chair while I went in the water, to find that a little girl picked it up and took it to the water and soaked it with water and sand upon realizing it was not a gameboy. I got it through the VA and have only had it a few months. As far as replacing it goes, since water damage is not covered, would it be better to say that it was lost? Is there a vandalism clause? How difficult is it to have the Dexcom replaced? Any suggestions would be of great use, thankyou. Tags:

My suggestion would be to lay off the smart ■■■ remarks to Kelly.

Don’t take the low road using your deployment status…

there are many men and women that served and are still serving in Iraq. My son served in the first Gulf War. For that, I thank each and everyone of them for their service.

Since your name is not showing, the profile name shows as Betty816.

Trisha

Thank you Trisha and thank your son for serving for our country.

As far as replacing it goes, since water damage is not covered, would it be better to say that it was lost?

Lay off Kelly, you were the one who was negligent in leaving “un-secured” and you left it unattended where a little girl could find it. So Who’s fault is it. Cough up the $300 for a new reciever and mark it down as a experience learned .

But you were the one who is in the wrong trying to find a excuse to cheat the system out of another unit.

You're presumptuous, hot-headed and clearly unaware. perhaps you were suffering a low, causing you to speak without thinking. Anyhow you can thank me and countless others for your continued freedom and all the sacrifices we made overseas in your defense. Since you don't use your words that means you don't use your brains so I will spell this out. I got Type One as a result of an exposure while deployed in Iraq...let that marinate you moron.

I say "TUFF SH#T, We all have our own stories and hardships, I have friends who got alot worse problems then you from Iraq, but they don’t use their injuries as a excuse to act like a ■■■…Grow up!

If you don’t like our responces to your post , either think before you post a negative post about our family or leave …it’s that simple.

I think the kid is likely liable. If the kid isn’t personally liable, the parents would be. At least that’s the way it would work in Illinois. Those sorts of things vary from state to state. There was a thing in the news in the last year or so about a 6ish year old in NYC who hit an old lady while the kid was scootering. The old lady ended up falling and breaking a hip and dying of complications so, of course, the estate sued the 6 year old.

Wow, clearly uncalled for response. Spend the money and pay for YOUR mistake, and stop the name calling. Your first post was very clear, and Kelly just happened to be the first one to reply. Since you are the newbie to this site, I will tell you that Kelly makes a great contribution here and helps a lot of people. Maybe you are the one that doesn’t fit in here? That being said, I have read about many people that have been able to dry the Dex out and make it work again.

Wednesday, thank you for your apology to Kelly. I was going to post earlier, but I’m glad I waited. I’ve known Kelly for a few years, since we posted on another diabetic forum, and she has always been a great resource for type 1 diabetics, as well as a great friend.

I hope you are able to get a replacement CGM. I use the DexCom since January 2010, and don’t know what I would do without it. Best of luck to you.

I can certainly understand how it could happen. I have typed out responses to post many times and left the computer to just erase it when I came back because I know my response was based on emotion and not clear thinking.

Sorry things have been rough for both of you and I wish you the best wading through all the things you both are going through.

I appreciate the apology Wednesday. The fact that you came back to apologize tells me that you are a good person, so please don’t worry about burning bridges. We all have our days! Most of us have posted things that we wish that we could take back.

If you haven’t talked to Dexcom yet, I would call them and ask to talk to a supervisor. They are on CA time, so do it during CA working hours. Explain to them what happened – don’t just say that you were at the beach, but explain what you were doing there. If they won’t give you a free replacement, maybe they will at least set up some kind of payment plan that you can afford so that you can get another one.

TuDiabetes is a very good place and you can get a lot of help here, so I hope that you do stick around. Even at almost 28 years into this, I am still learning – it is a never ending process.

If you do a search in the Dexcom group for “rice,” you will see that some people were able to revive their receiver after putting it in a bowl of rice. I am not sure the exact details there, but I do know that several people have tried to do that.

Wednesday ~

While my situation is not the same as yours, I did have a most unfortunate accident with my Dexcom less than 1 month after I got it in September of 2009. I was wearing a bulky knit sweater that day and I put my Dexcom in my pocket. I went to use the bathroom and plop! …into the toilet it fell :frowning: I was absolutely horrified. I grabbed it and thought “what the heck do I do now”?

I decided to call Dexcom and tell them of my mistake in putting it in the pocket of my sweater. The tech support person I spoke with said “We have heard that story before and here is what we will do for you”. They did a ‘one time only’ replacement of the receiver - for free. I don’t know if they still operate under that position or not, but it is worth a try. In the meantime…if you have a large bag of uncooked rice - put the receiver into the bowl and cover it with the uncooked rice. Leave it sit for 2 - 3 days. Take it out and check to see if you can get anything to come up on the screen. I tried that while waiting for my new receiver to come from Dexcom. It worked for me, so I called Dexcom back and asked them if they wanted me to return the new receiver. “No, we want you to have a dependable and safe receiver, we don’t advise you to use the damaged one.”

Well…I decided they were probably right, but I still kept the ‘old’ one as a backup. So sorry your husband and you are having so many problems right now. Stay strong and don’t give up.

Maybe you should keep your husband away from the computer.

Below was copied and pasted from a post above:

Permalink Reply by Wednesday 17 minutes ago
Step Up Blazer, you coward this is not from wednesday but from me. Your chump and ya know it. I feel sad that my efforts went to protect turds like you.

Trisha

TBI or not, there’s no need to be a jerk.

Trisha