Request for Data

These guys are asking for contribution of data to overcome the lack of testing.
Diabetics know their bodies and healthcare data, so here it is:

This looks useful if enough people sign up and sustain their daily response. It seems this data would generally come from people more concerned with their health and public health. This would indicate the data would suffer from selection bias. The credibility of the sponsors, Boston Children’s Hospital and the Harvard Medical School, persuaded me to sign up.

Your correct, it is highly biased. Thats why they need more users. I think you all could help with that.

I’m actually a little concerned about this site. Tracking unsubstantiated symptoms has very little use, and the fact that they ask for phone numbers makes me wonder if it’s a phishing scam preying on people’s concerns. I have no reason to think so, it’s just a niggling concern I felt when filling out the form. I did NOT give them my phone number.

1 Like

Its Harvard Medical School. I heard an interview with them on the radio. You don’t have to enter your phone number. I didn’t. I heard about it on Science Friday on National Public Radio. You can listen to the story here:

https://www.sciencefriday.com/person/john-brownstein/

1 Like

Thanks for that information @mohe0001. At least it’s a legitimate source. I still wonder what quality of information could be gathered from that, though. Simply reporting symptoms without a cause could inspire more harm than good. I’m afraid many people will see that data and not be able to distinguish the symptoms from confirmed covid-19 cases. I can see a tiny bit of merit because there isn’t enough testing happening, but there are also a lot of symptomatic people who do NOT have covid-19.

I think that is a valid question. I bet that is something that they will attempt to analyze. There are statistical methods for overcoming sampling error. So, I’m sure they will need to delve into that math in order to create meaningful analysis. Weather they can do it or not may stand to be seen. I’m gonna give them a shot because in this time of limited data, part of learning about how to combat problems in the future is built off of tiny little efforts forward in the present. Some of those succeed and some fail. Either way, I think it makes a contribution to the future.

I guess they call this ‘illness’ or ‘syndromic’ surveillance. They do this every year with seasonal flu, so they can compare and contrast data sets.