Researchers discovered how the body kills the coronavirus

I thought the article was short on facts and bordering on click-bait but figured what the heck, you all can read it or ignore it.

1 Like

If you want the details, it is here, in Nature Medicine, a highly respected source, definitely not clickbait, although it is only reporting on one patient:

Breadth of concomitant immune responses prior to patient recovery: a case report of non-severe COVID-19

Thanks, but my eyes glazed over after a bit of looking at that one. LOL! I need something “in between”.

With a lot of the abstract/studies that I read, I jump to the conclusion or the executive summary, which is the most relevant for non-professionals, most of us, and then decide whether to read the whole thing. In this case, it’s much too dense for me, but the conclusion is helpful:

Collectively, our study provides novel contributions to the understanding of the breadth and kinetics of immune responses during a non-severe case of COVID-19. This patient did not experience complications of respiratory failure or acute respiratory distress syndrome, did not require supplemental oxygenation, and was discharged within a week of hospitalization, consistent with non-severe but symptomatic disease. We have provided evidence on the recruitment of immune cell populations (ASCs, TFH cells and activated CD4+ and CD8+ T cells), together with IgM and IgG SARS-CoV-2-binding antibodies, in the patient’s blood before the resolution of symptoms. We propose that these immune parameters should be characterized in larger cohorts of people with COVID-19 with different disease severities to determine whether they could be used to predict disease outcome and evaluate new interventions that might minimize severity and/or to inform protective vaccine candidates. Furthermore, our study indicates that robust multi-factorial immune responses can be elicited to the newly emerged virus SARS-CoV-2 and, similar to the avian H7N9 disease[8], early adaptive immune responses might correlate with better clinical outcomes.

3 Likes