Restart G6 Sensor?

Thank you. I may need that. The one advantage I see of doing it the other way is that there is no gap of two hours. If I restart the sensor with the monitor 2 1/4 hrs ahead of when the sensor is going to stop on the Tandem, Tandem will pick up the other. When I did that a few days ago, I didn’t get the restart to go until about 1 hr 40 minutes before the Tandem sensor quit. But the Tandem sensor started showing the recount clock (green) well before the 10-day count ended, and I only had to wait about 20 minutes for the new readings started. I think that if I had restarted earlier, I wouldn’t have had that gap. I’ll find out next time I change it.

By the way, the sensor came off 2 days after I restarted it, so I didn’t get the chance to see how well it worked for another 10 days. Next time I’ll make sure that it is well taped.

I have the Tandem pump, can get it on the app on my phone. How would you proceed?

Thanks… just what I have been looking for. So relieved to read this.

My iPhone Dexcom App deactivates the “stop sensor” feature in Settings after I “forget this device” in my Bluetooth settings - thus preventing a sensor restart. Not having my receiver with me to try that option, I actually used a “2nd” iPhone and just paired it with the existing transmitter (currently on Day 10, set to expire in 6 hours). After pairing, BG readings started straight away. I then went to Bluetooth setting on the 2nd iPhone and selected “forget this device” - then went back to the Dexcom app on 2nd iPhone and “stop sensor” option was available. I selected it, then started a new sensor (selecting “No Code”) and it started a 2 hr warm up. I am in that warm up period now and will report results. About 5 minutes into the warmup the Dexcom app on 2nd iPhone showed “Transmitter Not Found” error where the warm up countdown had been, and my Bluetooth sent me a pop-up Window requesting a pairing with the transmitter. I clicked “cancel” instead of “pair”. I’m planning to wait until 2 hrs and 10 minutes after initial sensor start and then plan to start at Step 7 of the instructions by restarting the phone and attempting to re-pair with the transmitter. I could wait another 90 minutes or so and post just once with the whole story, but this way you can experience some of the anticipation…

Update: it worked! But it took the 2nd iPhone almost an hour after I restarted it to ask to re-pair. Which is funny because it asked every 10 minutes during the warm-up, so I think the restarting of the phone was unnecessary. Once calibrated and reporting BG, I then went back to the original iPhone and re-paired … no warm up necessary.

Tried another G6 restart method that worked. This time I waited for the current 10 day session to expire before trying to restart, because I knew I did not have time for the full two hour warm-up before expiration. For this one, you obviously lose continuous reporting of numbers during the restart. But that’s OK because we are on the last sensor and the next shipment is in the mail.

1. Let your sensor expire.
  2. Start a new sensor session and choose “no code”. You do not need to remove the transmitter.
  3. Let the warm-up session start and run for about 15 minutes. I set a timer on my phone.
  4. After 15 minutes, STOP sensor. It may warn that you cannot start a stopped sensor, but this is not true.
  5. Start another new sensor and choose “without code”. (You will need to calibrate with this option, but the sensor will still restart.)
  6. The sensor will warm-up for two hours and start giving readings after

That’s it. It worked. I understand that if you have a code, You can enter it only for step 5 and it will still work, I just didn’t have my code so I used the no code option. Happy resetting.

8 Likes

@Aaron2 I restarted my expired G6 sensor! Thanks Aaron2, It worked great!! I had my code for my sensor still so I put in the code on step 5 and it didn’t ask for calibration. It’s within 5 points of accuracy.

2 Likes

I’m debating whether to upgrade to G6 from G5. Does anyone know whether there is a bootleg app to use G6 with non-approved Android phones? I’ve been successfully using the G5 with a Motorola G5+ (though the app is not available from Dexcom for this phone - was made available by a hacker), but I want to be certain that I can keep my phone as my receiver before upgrading to G6.

xDrip…

I’m really confused… I’m on my 3rd or 4th sensor, Have the Tandem Pump and App on phone. I was able to restart once, but the rest of the time I have failed. I’m not even sure what I did to make it successful. Can you give me a step by step? I’m going to run out of sensors if I don’t figure this out soon.
Thanks in advance!

Did you stop the sensor on your pump or phone? I am not having much luck!

We do it all on the phone app and completely ignore the pump - just let it be and eventually the pump catches up.

The directions that @Aaron2 has are good.

Do you have an idea as to which step in the process you are having difficulties with or any specific questions?

1 Like

I think I’m just having trouble with the sequencing, and on which device to make the changes. Forget the device on the phone first, then turn off Bluetooth, then stop your sensor, Then start your sensor with no code, thenWait 15 minutes. Stop your sensor. Restart with the code. Are you actually scanning the code or entering it manually? Never touch the pump? Have I got it?

Are you doing all this before it expires? Can you wait till after expires? I think I just need to step by step. Is that something you can do for me? Thanks so much

@Carolyn_A

No need for the extra steps as you mention in your recent posting.
Correct - Do not touch the pump.
Phone only.
Follow the steps which @Aaron2 has exactly. The steps are good and do not require anything else. (Unless I misread and missed something.)

Granted - There are various tweaks you can do to the process which may still work. But start with this. Get it working. Then try tweaking the process to something that may be slightly more tailored for you.

Only my suggestion.

Good Luck.

@Carolyn_A

I didn’t use/touch my phone, I followed Aaron2’s instructions exactly on my G6 reader and then my phone after the couple of hours of start up started automatically reading the restarted sensor.

I think part of my confusion has been trying to manage with the tandem pump and my phone app.

I’m in the midst of rolling over my first G6 session using the method at the link above. One thing is that using the No Code session means you are required to enter a calibration after the 2 hr warm up, according to the alert message it gives you. For a sec I was concerned it was saying I’d have to do regular calibrations throughout the whole session, as with a G5 or G4, but then I realized it’s just the startup one. Not sure why entering a code or not makes such a difference. Actually I’m kinda curious why “No code” is even an option–did they deliberately include it so you could get around the 10 day hard stop? I guess it’s just in case you have to stop and restart a session before the 10 day limit, but I can’t think of a reason you’d ever do that.

DrBB, Do you have the tandem pump?

No, just using the iPhone app. I’m using an old-school Medtronic Paradigm, having tried and bailed on the 670G.

ETA: sorry if that was confusing @Carolyn_A --I didn’t mean this as a response to your post specifically, just to the general discussion.

ETA 2: And… It didn’t work. Did everything as instructed, entered it as “no code,” ignored pairing requests, etc etc, but after the two hour pseudo-warm up it came up and said "You can’t start a second session on the same sensor. I don’t have another 2 hours to waste trying to do it again, so a new sensor it is. Poo. :frowning:

I’ve restarted sensors 5 times now and I’m only getting 2-3 more days before the sensor becomes unuseable. Curious to hear from others how long they’re getting after restart.