Restart G6 Sensor?

@MM1

Definately not.

Actual physically new sensor is always using the code from the sticky label on the underside of the sensor.

You are still on G4 - right? When you see the G6, it makes more sense.

Here is an image I lifted from diatribe (thanks diatribe!!!)

This is a new G6 insertion device (upside down) which has the sensor inside of it. As you can see, the code (5937) for the sensor is on the bottom of the device. Once you have used a number of G6 sensors the codes start to look familiar. We have probably seen less than 10 different unique sensor codes. I don’t understand what they do or why one sensor has a different code than another. But my only reasonable assumption is that it is important and makes a difference.

So, on a new physical sensor, I will use the code from the label on the actual sensor.

I then keep the sticker with the code as well as record it in a spreadsheet such that if I want to restart later then I have the proper code.

Thanks! Dexcom has been really awful with their shipping, lately - shipments have been going out (for me) about 8-9 days after order is placed and processed (can’t order any earlier as system won’t allow it). So it has been common for me to have my last sensor expire before the new ones arrive.

I tried this method to restart my sensor as I had no other alternative, and it worked exactly as described! I also had thrown out my code, so I had to calibrate at step 5, but I’ll be logging my codes from now on for the future. If I need to do this again, I’ll use a code at step 5 and report the result.

Once again! Thanks to Aaron2!!

Helpful tip, every time I start a new sensor, I put the code on the top of the paper that shows the LOT number and take a picture on my phone.
That way I can quickly and easily reference the information, date, time I inserted the new sensor.
Also, if you have to call Dexcom for an issue, you have the information handy.

@Aaron2 I’m 2 days into my restarted sensor using your method (thanks again!) - I had to calibrate initially as I didn’t have my code. Now it is asking me to calibrate every 12 hours - is there a way to stop it? I’m also following @Tim35 advice and have started an Excel spreadsheet to track my sensor codes.

When calibrating the G6 manually, it should only be the first day which asks every 12 hours. After that, it should switch to once per day.

I’d likely take a photo of it with my phone. That way it is in Google Photos on my tablet, PC, and phone. I do that with all sorts of stuff like important receipts, serial number/model number stickers on cartons. Also that works great for model number plates on appliances so that I don’t have to contort myself like a pretzel to read off the model number or other info needed for tech or repair support.

I always take a photo of the G5 xmitters.

Worked great this time—thanks @Aaron2!

I actually got into the habit of saving everything from a sensor when using Libre as sometimes I would want to call for a replacement or take the box back with the sensor to Walgreens. So with the Dexcom I keep the sensor applier in the plastic container with the sensor code paper in it and just put it in with the new sensors until I use a new one.
I have the box of the transmitter in there with my supplies too. i think taking a picture of the transmitter code is a good idea though and might start doing that.