Restaurant Weirdness

For Gross Pointe Blank: Omelette scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4GDodf5eT0

But now, that I see that I think about Dan Akroyds Elwood Blues character and how he used to order “dry, white toast”. Arthea Franklin: “You want butter or jam on that toast?” “Nothing, just dry.” And than Jake Blues and his “4 whole fried chickens and a Coke”. :slight_smile:

Ha! Duck! Yep, all guys love that scene! I thought it was pretty good too. :slight_smile:

Food wise though I like the where she orders at the diner when they driving from Chicago to New York - she is really picky than!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnlm2e3EN78&feature=related

“Whipped Cream but only if it is real if from a can, than nothing.” :slight_smile: She does this with their wedding cake too - chocolate sauce on the side. :slight_smile: I love it! I am like that.

Harry: “On the side is a very big thing for you.”

LOL…this is kinda fun! Maybe another discussion thread should be started.

I can’t believe that movie wasn’t the first one that came to mind. You crack me up Duck!

As a thin diabetic I have experienced the SAME thing! Asking for no dressing and no rice etc just veggies ppl do look at you like you must have an eating disorder…I usually just tell the waiter “sorry for being difficult but I am a diabetic”. And in reguards to the food allergy comment, my son always says “My Mama is awergic (allergic) to sugar, she has diabebes (diabetes)” LOL yeah simple kid logic.

I have been a diabetic for almost 30 years. At first I was almost obsessive about portion size. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at carb counting and now do it almost automatically. If you are new to this, you might want to get a copy of the Calorie King Calorie Fat and Carbohydrate counter. It is small enough to fit in a purse or bag, and it lists lots of stuff from a large number of restaurants. They also have a pretty decent web site - www.calorieking.com. Probably the most useful thing that I do is to simply order off the children’s menu. It is rarely a problem, and if I am questioned, I simply show them my Medic Alert bracelet. I do know some people who have had a little card made up or even given to them by their dietitian or educator explaining that the person is a diabetic and simply needs smaller portions. Once in a while I get hit with the “You are older than 12 years of age” line (regrettably, that is true), but generally people are quite willing to accommodate me. I do eat out frequently, often for business, and I find that if I do not make a big deal of things, neither does anybody else.

I eat the fresh pineapple from the market. I also eat it when my blood sugar is low or normal. I also make sure that I consume very carbs for the rest of the day. Check this out for some more information;
The Pineapple and Diabetes Connection

I just don’t want to go anymore.

Even pre diabetes never found the experience to be all that fun anyway.

Lets see if I can cheat by typing restaurants are stupid into Google cause I find I am never first to think of anything. Nothing worth posting.

Well lets add diabetes and oh ya super great fun, lets study the menu find something that’s “diabetes friendly” if the menu even has anything then order something I don’t really want then inevitably have some people come at me with “would you like to try ____?” then when I day no the “are you sure?” part Ya I am sure, very sure, I probably said I am diabetes at least 100 times since you have known me so ya I am 1000% sure that I would not like to try that sugary thing you just suggested.

Then when its all over and I just want to leave you get ask for and the wait for the check part.

I don’t eat out very often anymore, but not due to comments from anyone. No one seems to mind my strange limited orders and my family is in my corner so they wouldn’t suggest that I eat something I feel I can’t eat. We went to a pub this week and I ordered a large green salad with apples, so I left off the cheese and salad dressing. My son volunteered that I am a vegan who really limits fat. After I got my salad I added garbanzo beans that I brought with me. Yes, weird, but I didn’t have to raise my pre dinner shot at all. I was saving room for frozen banana ice cream when I got home. We tipped the waitress 25%. LOL

1 Like

I never thought of taking my beans. Very smart idea. Thanks for sharing. I do have an issue with beans though. They make me gassy. What’s your experience?

Hi jjc_jm, I can eat lentils and legumes with no problem at all. My body loves them. Most people adjust to this way of eating in a few weeks. That hasn’t been true for my husband though. His body does not cooperate at all, so no beans or lentils for him.