Retinopathy

Brian;
How true, how true. If I get through my latest let down I will not fall victim again to false sense of trust. for anyone.

I was 50 w hen I got my first blast from the laser machine; Doc said it was a “pre-emptive” strike to prevent worsening. That lasted till last year, age 64, when I had to get a stronger dose, some in both eyes. I was 6 when I got diagnosed T1D, so lasted 44 years w/o Retinopathy.

@Tia_G . I was 3 years old when dx’d in 1971. The thought of retinopathy terrified me so I was always motivated to eat well. I liked being active so I didn’t have to motivate myself to exercise. Retinopathy is not inevitable. I am T1D for 45+ years and I am very fortunate to have minimal complications. There have been times when it was very difficult to maintain my BG so I just did the best I could. I have seen opthomalgic retinologists for more than 25 years. I have had very minor retinopathy for more than 10 years. It is stable and it is checked annually. There has never been a recommendation for surgery. The costs are fully covered so surgery will be done if it is in my best interest. I have recently been diagnosed with mild glaucoma so my primary eye care is now with an opthomalgic surgeon who specializes in the anterior segment but he also monitors my retinopathy. I see him several times per year. I am using eyedrops daily and the pressure in my eyes is moving back to the normal range.

My younger brother is also T1D. He has had it for less time, maybe 40 years. He had some issues with retinopathy between 10 and 20 years ago. He told me that there were a number of years in his late teens and early 20’s when he was sloppy with his diabetes. He believes that is why he developed the retinopathy. He was treated with several rounds of laser surgery. He is now very attentive and his eyes have been stable for many years.

My point is that retinopathy and other complications are not inevitable. Your son could easily live 50, 60, 70 or more years with negligible side effects