Retinopathy

I had a vitrectomy in my right eye last week, no vision hardly at all, I can see a little light but that’s it. Dr says I still have blood in that eye, shes gonna wait 2 weeks to see if it clears, if it doesnt shes going to do another surgery this time giving me a new lense. I’m so scared I’ll never get vision back. My left eye is still good, she lasered it before it started bleeding, so I’m hoping that eye will always be good. I guess im just looking to hear everyone’s experiences.

Just curious, did you get an injection or laser procedure first? I just had my first spot of retinopathy, 1 small spot in my right eye after 17 years and I was so disappointed because I rarely have an A1C over 7, i looked at some research and for us T1Ds there is a 90% chance of some retinopathy after 20 years even with good control.

Hoping things clear for you. My good eye went last year, and again last week. So far only laser needed and no vitrectomies. My other eye went out several years ago and again last year. it usually bleeds into my field of vision and takes two months or so to clear. The other eye doesnt seem to make it so I cannot see to drive etc. I hope you dont need the extra surgery. Many blessings…

I had vitrectomy in 1986, and initially had cloudy vision after surgery. It was done in hospital back then, and I had to lie face down for 3 days in the hospital.

Treatment options are much better today, but I was told to wait 6 months from time my eye was initially cloudy, to time they did vitrectomy. During that time, I had no vision in that eye. After vitrectomy, it took several weeks to clear, and saw double vision for a while since it had been >6 months with no vision in that eye.

Today I have good vision, and no need for additional treatment except cataract surgery.

Laser, I think laser is the first thing they do

It takes a little while for the dust to settle after a vitrctomy. I have had them in both eyes. My first one, which is now about seven years ago, I didn’t see out of the eye for about a month. It was a red haze which gradually cleared over time. The second vitrectomy was a completely different experience. I saw beautifully out of that eye the first day.

Give yourself a chance to heal. To have had a vitrctomy a week ago is way too soon to making any judgement about whether it was a success or not. You need at least one month. Or more like six to eight weeks. Your eye will clear out. Give it a little time.

Your retinopathy may well be due to genetic influences inherited along with the cluster of genes that predispose someone to develop diabetes. See:

"Curr Diab Rep. 2014 Aug;14(8):515

Genetics of diabetic retinopathy.

Cho H, et al.

Diabetic retinopathy (DR) is a polygenic disorder. Twin studies and familial aggregation studies have documented clear familial clustering. Heritability has been estimated to be as high as 27 % for any DR and 52 % for proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR), an advanced form of the disease. Linkage analyses, candidate gene association studies and genome-wide association studies (GWAS) performed to date have not identified any widely reproducible risk loci for DR. Combined analysis of the data from multiple GWAS is emerging as an important next step to explain the unaccounted heritability. Key factors to future discovery of the genetic underpinnings of DR are precise DR ascertainment, a focus on the more heritable disease forms such as PDR, stringent selection of control participants with regards to duration of diabetes, and methods that allow combination of existing datasets from different ethnicities to achieve sufficient sample sizes to detect variants with modest effect sizes."

In my own case, I developed exactly the same severity of diabetic retinopathy exactly the same number of years after onset as my grandmother had, even though her blood sugar control had been much worse, and her date of onset of disease was in 1948, whereas mine had been in 1966. When I think of all the life-threatening hypoglycemic episodes I endured to achieve my much better blood glucose control while getting nothing more than the same results as my grandmother did in the days before strict control was even recommended, I can only shake my head at all the waste.

Personally, I would be reluctant to have too many surgeries so close together. With each vitrectomy, the risk of detached retina increases. I had to have three vitrectomies in a row a couple of years back, and by the time the retina detached a second time, it was decided that vision was so compromised there was no point doing more surgery to reattach it. So the surgeries that were meant to improve my vision in fact resulted in loss of vision. As well, each surgery is a major trauma to the eye. Inflammation of the surrounding tissue follows, and the inflamed cells die off but are not replaced, and the eyeball may shrink slightly into its cavity. This may result in one eye looking a bit smaller than the other, which some people care about and others don’t.

I’m not trying to scare you with horror stories. Zillions of people have had successful vitrectomies. I’d just be wary of more surgery so soon. Clear vision can take a while to return – it’s a very individual thing – so like others have said, give it time.

Wow I feel fortunate. My mom lost her eye sight 12 years post DX. I am on year 43 with no signs of eye disease. I get to take that with me this evening.

Because I have always taken a heavy vitamin E dose, 1600 IU per day, any retinal hemorrhages I have had have always cleared miraculously quickly, usually in two days or less. When I first deal with my ophthalmologist over that issue he was certain we would have to wait for a week for the hemorrhage to clear and was astonished when it was gone in less than half that time.