Retyped

you can only do your best latvianchick, your dc telling you, you can do bette.r but not telling you how is typical, there are so many factors that influence BS, and stress is one so try not get stressed out about adverse readings, just try to to live a normal life as possible .
i went to a funeral yesterday of a a young woman who died of cancer , ive got my battles with diabetes but im winning at the moment this 40 year old woman didnt win hers with cancer.

im going to live the best life i can under the circumstances

Same thing happened to me. Initial diagnosis as a type 2 in my mid-30s. I definitely fit the profile–overweight, not very active, etc. Started me on oral meds and kept adding more even though my sugars weren’t responding at all. I put myself on an Atkins type diet, took all my pills religiously and my sugars were still staying in the 5-600s. I broached the possibility of Type 1 early on due to the way my symptoms started–ran a high fever for several days and then-oila!-all the symptoms started immediately afterward. But my family doctor said I was a type 2. Finally went to an endo who ran an antibody screen, said it was negative and that meant I was a type 2. Always had lots of trouble controlling my sugars even with insulin but when I asked him about the pump he said I was a typical noncompliant type 2 and that a pump wouldn’t help that. A year and a half ago went to a new endo who ran a C-Peptide test. Came back with “0”–no endogenous insulin. So I’m a type 1. She said that the antibody screen will miss about 10-20% on Type 1s. She recommended the pump. I started it about 4 months ago. This “noncompliant” diabetic now has an A1c of 5.7.

Did you all suffer fast BS changes so fast your brain can’t adapt?

Jody, know one NEEDS to be on the pump. This is simply the way we choose to treat ourselves. I much prefer the pump over 5 shots a day. However if my pump breaks or I can no longer afford it then I can go back to shots. My A1c on shots stayed around 10, on the pump for 10 years now and stay pretty much in the 7’s. I went low carb last june and my Ac1 hit 6.8 for the first time ever. unfortunatly, im back in the 7’s again even though I still following low carb. The pump is a wonderful tool that I hope I never have to give up. Check it out, you may just make the choice for yourself. I too have been on insulin since day 1. 18 yrs now. Good luck.

That’s a very good point, Patty. I’ve been on shots just short of two years and kept saying I didn’t need to be on a pump because A. My numbers are decent (6.4) and B. I’m semi-retired and so have plenty of time to mess with shots. Then when I started a Type 1 Women’s Group and saw that the vast majority of the women were on pumps and loved them I realized that it is the state of the art treatment for Type 1 diabetes. I got my pump on Monday, am on saline now and start insulin tomorrow. Most people who make the change from MDIs to the pump seem to consider it much better, but of course everyone is different. I also think it must be very hard to have to learn everything we need to know to manage our diabetes at the same time as learning the pump, but many people do that - mostly people with younger brains than mine!

You can do it! Just remember that help is always there for you. I have a mini med pump and have called them many times at all hours or the day for help. Funny thing is, most of the time its something that I have done hundreds of times but for some reason (senior moments) I forgot to do that step and think its broke. However the tech support has always got me through it and I would just have a good laugh at myself. This is my 3rd pump and each time I need new training and each time I learn something new. I wish I had known about this group when I started. It can be a good friend when you get discouraged. Good luck and stay teachable and you will be fine.

I got retyped to type 2, after being a type 1 for over 20 years. I was so upset, think of all the lies I had to? So my next appointment I went ready to confront the doctor and get this thing straight. After the exam, he and I sat down to discuss things, and I said hey what about this retyping thing? He said, oh yeah I see that. I said look Ive been type 1 for over 20 years, I am not a type 2.

He apologized and said the keystroke person checked the wrong box, while converting the records. Oh, well then never mind !!! LOL

rick phillips

WOW! I am happy you got that straightened out. What a mess that could have been.

First time I’ve laughed today. Thanks!

That could have had serious consequences!

Shows that computer operators are fallible! People often say to me “computer error” but I wonder, who operates the computers??? I was told that I was Type 2 in the beginning. Only after two near misses with severe ketoacidosis (half an hour from death the last time I was roundly told off for not having taken my insulin. What insulin? Well, you are type 1! Phew! It took them long enough to diagnose me in the first place - 10 years from the onset of symptoms!

How dare they tell you that you are non-compliant??? That is insulting! What do they know about what you are doing and why could they not have a look at what was going on earlier on? Your first doctor is incompetent! So is mine which is why, when I return from my holiday next month I shall be changing doctors.

I certainly do. I have hypoglycaemia unawareness and one minute I can be fine, the next minute I am pouring with sweat! Apparently I go pale and a bit grumpy beforehand but not everyone that I am with during the day is good at recognising it. Only my best friend!

Hi latvianchick - same thing happened to me in the ICU except I wasn’t conscious enough to reply ‘what insulin?’ But they later tested for antibodies and found none. To me it doesn’t really matter what type as I was lucky enough to get the right treatment. Plus they found me a place on Dafne (carb-counting for those on insulin therapy) so all could be worse really!

Hi Jody,

When I was first diagnosed at age 28 a couple of doctors used the term “type 1.5” but when I settled in with a good endo and a strong mgmt team they later confirmed that I was adult-onset type 1. I think back then (13 yrs ago) the type 1.5 label was used more loosely than today. My understanding is that now it is used to refer to folks who have insulin-dependent diabetes and also suffer from obesity and metabolic syndrome. I’ve never had either of those issues. However, when I was first diagnosed my pancreas was still producing some insulin. Now, however, it is not. I didn’t start the pump until 3 yrs ago, but could have started it from the very beginning as my insulin needs have always been significant.

Strangely, I was comforted by the type 1 label. I hate all the judgement and negativity associated with type 2 and I didn’t want anyone to think I did something to cause myself to develop the disease. It’s unfortunate that that was my thinking, but that’s how I felt.

I have had 4 endos before I got diagnosed correctly and started on the pump. Very frustrating and I know so many go through this!

Hi Jessica. I believe 1.5, LADA, and Late Onset Type 1 are basically different names for the same type of Diabetes. I have actually never heard that 1.5 meant “obesity and metabolic syndrome”. If this is now the new meaning (but I don’t believe it is), I will have to immediately stop saying I have LADA/1.5 and just stick to saying Type 1.

Actually, I think now, people who have type 1 and who have insulin resistance (which may result in weight gain, increased blood pressure and other metabolic issues) have what is called “Double Diabetes.” Generally, double diabetes occurs after many years. If you are dignosed with LADA, you may be insulin resistant and have some metabolic issues, but that is not a hallmark of LADA.

I am starting to believe that this might be me. I am going back to my doctor on Monday and presenting this.

Hi Type2Tommy: I have written several blogs on the problem of misdiagnosis; here is a link to the latest one. I also wrote a blog about misdiagnosis of insulin deficient diabetes. I hope these are helpful and good luck with your doctor.

I cannot agree with you more, this sounds exactly what happened in my case. For over 12 months I was being treated as T2 even though my symptoms were classic T1 with a very steong history of T1 in the family. I was not over weigh, infact on the under weight side, metformin did little to stop the large highs in the high 20's, (400's). after 12 months and no improvement i demanded a referal to see a diabetic educator and asked the doctor why he thought i was T2, his reply, 'because that is what most people are'. That weekend i ended up in hospital with Ketoacidosis. once on the insulin i have never felt better in years and my sight has improved 10 fold. so what did i learn, sometimes you need to trust your body and not put sooo much faith in the doctors.