Rising BG with weight loss?

I was wondering if it’s normal to have your fasting BG go up as you lose weight…

My fasting levels have almost always been between 4.0 and 4.9. Very rarely outside of that range.
This morning I took a reading around 9:00am. Nothing to eat since supper last night apart from one small piece of banana bread (homemade with splenda) about 15 carbs. Supper was oven roasted chicken and salad. Nothing after the banana bread(eaten at about 9:15pm) until 9am and my reading was at 6.4.

I am eating a LOT less carbs, even less than my body seems to be able to deal with, and it has helped to drop the weight, down about 16 lbs now. But the higher fasting BG has me a bit concerned.

This is the highest fasting level (taken first thing in the morning) I have ever had since being diagnosed.

Everything is so variable in humans in general, not to mention diabetics. I think you should wait 1-2 weeks (or more) and see if its reproducible. If you’ve lost weight, many things have changed in your life that may have caused this one result, or it may just be an oddity that won’t repeat itself.
(BTW - if I eat anything after 7:30 pm, I have high BG first thing in the morning - every time without fail).

Very good points. I’m not panicking or anything (yet) :wink:

But it sure was a surprise to see that reading first thing in the morning. I’ll treat it as an oddity until/if I get more of the same. Thanks for the response :slight_smile:

I had not heard that. But I am noticing that there are a lot of things about this disease that I was never told. Information is very lacking here (where I live, not the forum). Thanks for the response :slight_smile:

Increased fasting BG with weight loss is not common for T2s. T2s can have dawn phenomenon, though it’s more frequent in T1s.

I wouldn’t read a lot into one reading. It’s a blip & only consistent patterns can reveal what’s going on. Should you continue to see high fasting BG, that’s another story.

It’s not so much what time you eat at night, but how soon after eating you go to sleep.

Have you been exercising by chance? Did you say you have been seriously exercising? You mean with weights and everything?

That stuff can cause surges in Growth Hormone overnight (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12797841) and a pronounced darn phenomenon (http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/312/23/1473).

My suggestion. Don’t fret over it, the benefit from the exercise far outweighs the DP.

I’ll keep that in mind :slight_smile:

Which would be the better thing to do? Go to bed soon after eating something, or waiting?

Well I would not say “seriously” yet but I am working towards it.
1/2 hour on the exercise bike 5 days a week, 50-60 situps/day for now until the abs get used to being used again. And I have just started using free weights again. Just started with those a couple days ago so there are not a lot of reps yet. (yes I have been neglecting this for a long time and need to work my way up again)

Not good to go to bed soon after eating. It’s best, though not always possible, to not sleep 4 hours after eating. The goal is have digested dinner before sleep. That’s true for non-diabetics also. Rest should be rest.

I was going to ask about this as well. The nutritionist I spoke to has a diabetic son and said he has a snack right before he goes to bed. I should have asked her about the reasons.

Snacking before bed doesn’t necessarily ward off dawn phenomenon for people on insulin & people not on insulin. And, a small protein snack isn’t going to bed with a full stomach from dinner.

Going to sleep soon after eating, with what is usually the largest meal of the day, isn’t helpful. The body isn’t moving to assist digestion & burn off food & all bodily systems are geared down for rest & recovery, not digestion. We don’t need food hitting the bloodstream while sleeping.

Some people may think they have dawn phenomenon when what they may be experiencing is high BG from the previous dinner, esp, if it was protein/fat heavy.

If her son is on insulin, this is to prevent overnight lows from insulin.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Diane,

Protein & fat effect BG. They don’t lower BG, but they’re slower than carbs to digest. It’s not just carbs that impact BG. About 58% of protein converts to glucose. A lower percentage of fat converts to glucose & both protein & fat should be factored in.

People on insulin generally have a small protein snack to help BG remain stable overnight to prevent lows. Since you’re not taking meds or insulin, bedtime snacking isn’t necessary. Do you have overnight lows?