Roll Call! Where's everyone from!?! Just a little fun! 🌏

Aha, then it makes sense.

Oh, well, we can’t all be national champions… :wink:

Went to medical school in Milwaukee, WI, where my older daughter was born. Once lived in the same neighborhood as Jeffrey Dahmer. Then was engaged to a guy whose childhood playmates included none other than Ted Bundy. Is it any wonder I started my career as a forensic psychiatrist?

1 Like

I’ve been to Milwaukee. First time I was there on my own, I checked into the hotel, picked up the Yellow Pages, and started looking for a place to have dinner. Immediately knew where I was—every other restaurant listed was German. LOL

Not a big fan of German food (no offense intended to those of you with that ancestry). Ate quite a bit of Real Chili in Milwaukee. Wonder if they’re still around…

But Star '93: Medea’s Dance of Vengeance? They may have placed second, but we all know which corps from New Jersey shouldn’t have been first, right?

I have to tell you “Real Chili” is not Chili with beans or pasta. If you entered one of those in a International Chili Society (ICS) competition you would be tossed. But I guess this Wisconsin stuff doesn’t surprise me, I looked up the Wisconsin State Chili Cookoff championship which follows the ICS rules and blammo, right there on the page they show an illegal chili with beans. I just hope they follow the full rules which also outlaw the discharge of guns during the competition.

4 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

Just as a note of historical import - Nanimo bars were actually invented in Ladysmith BC, just down the highway, but who would want to eat a Ladysmith Bar?

1 Like

My daughter moved to Indiana a couple of eyars ago. She lives in Winona Lake (by Warsaw.) It’s fairy-tale beautiful. I love visiting her there.

1 Like

Not even after the winner is announced?!?!? (I guess that’s technically after the competition, though.) :gun:

My (Canadian) chili has kidney beans in it, but I refuse to put garbanzo, corn, or pasta in there. And it should be HOT! Even if my kids complain.

1 Like

Yay, Real Chili is still alive and well in Milwaukee; definitely a don’t-miss-destination for those who like “weird” regional foods.

Brian, you could always get a bowl of “chili only” at Real Chili (which would likely turn a few heads and probably cost you extra). The beans, (thoroughly overcooked) pasta, cheese, onions, sour cream, and oyster crackers are all considered “extras”. (The pasta and beans less so, however.) It comes in three strengths: “weinie”, “really effing hot”, and “burns both ways and makes you cry twice”. I believe that even you would find the latter begins to approach your “hotter than H-E-double-toothpicks” standard! :sweat_smile::wink:

Learning to tolerate hot food, along with saying “please” and “thank you” are basics that should be taught during childhood. :+1:t2:

I am not a chili connoisseur (though I do like it very much), have never entered a contest, don’t intend to, and am fundamentally uninterested in purist debates. However, I have never thought beans belonged in chili. Didn’t then, don’t now. IMHOP the only starch that ever belongs in chili is a very small amount of masa flour for thickening.

“Where’s Idaho?”

Idano!

1 Like

Father: I remember that girlfriend you had from Pennsylvania.
Son: Erie?
Father: Well, I always did think she was kind of strange.
Son: Well, what about your brother in Alaska?
Father: Nome?
Son: Of course I Nome, he’s my uncle.

1 Like

I have actually entered Chili contests (although they were only at work and between divisions). One year I won first place for my chili (competition style of course) named “Burns at Both Ends.” The name was quite accurate.

1 Like

I like it hot, too, but I can’t usually make it that way because others expect to eat some. I usually provide a bottle of Dave’s Insanity Sauce or something similar for those who wish to increase the heat.

1 Like

I used to like hot foods more (I was the second person to finish a pound of “disqualified” chicken wings at my local watering hole, so named because the chef was disqualified in a competition for making them too hot.) I’ve backed off a little since then, though, as I’ve decided that food should be a flavourful experience, not a test of your manhood. If it’s so hot you can’t taste the food, it’s too hot.