Rollercoaster confuses my Dexcom!

I know others post pictures of their flatlines. BUT my bg has been up and down so much tonight that my Dexcom G6 receiver was often showing a trend arrow opposite the actual trend, then it gave up and stopped showing a trend arrow at all :slight_smile:

One thing this CGM newbie learned from the rollercoaster ride, is that the CGM quite accurately tracks my fingerstick readings but delayed by about 20 minutes.

3 Likes

Same with G4, the arrow just doesn’t know where to go!

Looks like a fun ride.

2 Likes

Wow, how was your overnight? All things considered, you are staying under 200. That’s not bad.

I did fine overnight. In fact overnight is perhaps my most calm and predictable part of the curve, ever since I switched to Tresiba for basal.

Yes, despite all those rapid gyrations in those two hours, I never went outside the 70-180 range.

Other nights I have fewer peaks and valleys but often the peaks are higher (low 200’s or occasionally 300).

My most difficult bg control time is evenings and I’m hoping the Dexcom helps me figure that out. One possible factor, is that I usually eat dinner with the family and the timing and food for dinner is highly highly variable. Contrast that with breakfast and lunch where I control the meal choice and timing, and my bg’s are far more stable.

I remember decades ago, in the early days of digital watches, I was very pleased to get a digital watch with an analog display: it had an LCD screen that displayed clock hands like a traditional watch rather than numbers. I’ve always thought the proportional representation of time was much more intuitive to grasp, but it also had the advantages of digital tech underneath for accuracy etc, so I loved it. But one of its peculiarities was that when the battery ran low, instead of the hands disappearing, it started displaying more of 'em. Multiple hour and minute started popping up on the dial all at the same time.

As programming choices go, disappearing the arrow when the CGM can’t make a determination is probably better than having it display multiple contradictory ones.

1 Like

Evenings are my worst too. I don’t know what other tech your using, but just something to think about over the next year - I had to automate the system in order to get evening data that looks as good as yours in the pic. Your system sounds kinda similar to mine. Which model of Dexcom are you using? G6?

I, too, found my evening meal the hardest on BGs. And, of course, that affected my BGs all night. I found that not eating at least 5 hours before bedtime and correcting BGs during that time solved this problem for me. I also tend to eat very lightly at supper and keep the noontime meal as my largest meal of the day. I know that it is difficult to do in the context of family meals and a workday in the city.

And with the G6 - it stops providing numbers, I think. I have experienced it when the numbers are rapidly changing direction.