Rollercoaster

The extreme rise and fall feels so bad and distracting and exhausts me. I take too much insulin not wanting a spike. I recognise I haven’t eaten enough for the insulin but I’m not sure and I don’t have time to eat more. So blood plunges low and I eat glucose but stay low so I eat enough. It finally rises and I’m okay again but in an hour blood is too high and going higher and I correction bolus. I’m worn out from the low that made me swear profusely and had me confused so that I had to give up on my tasks but I get back to work and with high blood sugar I’m lethargic but I push myself. I return to low then to high then to low then to high and it wore me out and discouraged me. Four days good, one spontaneous breakfast and I’m wiped out and unproductive. That’s what I hope the bionic pancreas will improve.

I certainly know those feelings!! Been there, done that. (Where’s my T-shirt?)

I’m hopeful that the Artificial Pancreas will resolve these events smoothly - and it may well do so for many people. I’m a skeptic (pessimist?), however, and think that until much faster-acting insulins arrive on the scene, such miracles will be elusive for me, at least – my absorption/response time is just too long given current tech.

the control you have is better than mine, but the a1c’s are about the same. By and large, my blood sugar rises fast and is then levels out in about hour 4. So this sounds pretty close to what you experience.

wish every rtime I suggest it is the same, the truth is things go very different. It is true my diabetes cna and often does vary, a lot.

LOL

rick

From your description it sounds as though you are confusing avoiding a spike with the amount of insulin you take. Taking more insulin is not how you avoid a spike. You avoid a spike by doing better at timing the activation peak of the insulin you have taken with the rise in BG from the food you have eaten.

The amount of insulin to “handle” your carbs is determined not by whether or not you spike but by what happens 4 or so hours later after both your insulin and your carbs have had a chance to meet and talk things over. At that time if your insulin bolus and your basals are correct then you should have returned to your target level.

If you want to avoid a spike then think more about what you are eating and how quickly it will raise your BG versus how long it will take for your insulin to start kicking in. Those both tend to be very personal things. In my case I do best when I bolus for my (fast) carbs and then wait to eat until my CGM shows me that my BG is in my target range and is trending downward from the bolus insulin I took.

4 Likes