Rollercoasters

Not bad Kate! Could be a lot worse… glad to see you are still around :sunglasses:

Thanks Terry and Danny! Today is yet another day to perfect the art of diabetes!

Yesterday was a roller-coaster, but not too bad. BG ranged from 59-164. I was in target 66% of the time, well short of my 80% goal. Time low was 4% which meets my goal. Average BG was 123, above my goal <= 110. Interesting that, even though I had two high bumps and one low, my standard deviation was only 28 for the day, within goal. I met 2/4 goals, not bad for a roller coaster day.

I had scrambled eggs, sausage and tomatoes @ 11:15 a.m. Carbs = 12, protein = 35, fat = 65. I covered the carbs with 2.9 units of insulin and delivered a 6 unit bolus extended over 5 hours to cover the protein/fat. I used a 30 minute pre-bolus.

For dinner I had a 6 oz. salmon filet with tomatoes and salsa. Carbs = 9, protein = 47, and fat = 19. Carb bolus = 1.5. Protein/fat bolus = 4.3 units over 3.5 hours. Prebolus was 15 minutes.

I walked for 15 minutes at 9 a.m., 45 minutes at 12:45 p.m. and 30 minutes at 8:30 p.m.

I changed my infusion set at 7:43 a.m. That may may have contributed to the afternoon bump (a slow starting site) or maybe my insulin to carb ratio at breakfast needs to be increased from 1:4 to 1:3.5. I’ll wait and see.

One other thing, I had a fitful night of sleep with little rest. Did the BG bump cause the bad night’s sleep or did the bad night’s sleep cause the double top BG bump?

Yesterday’s line improved over the day before. It’s still not quite a flatline with the mid-day hyper topping out at 168 and is a moderate roller coaster.

I’d like to flatten out the overnight line. It gently falls from 122 @ 12:48 a.m. to 60 @ 7:48 a.m. So I reduced my 4 a.m. to 7 a.m. basal rate from 1.2 units/hour to 1.1 units/hour. I’ll see if this affects the overnight trend in the days ahead.

The 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. rise came after I ate one Dex4 tab to treat the morning low. I had two cups of coffee with cream during this time. I often give myself 0.3 units to counteract the cream in the coffee but didn’t do this yesterday. It looks like I should give this coffee dose. I was below 70 for about 25 minutes with a 60 bottom, perhaps I elicited some counter-regulatory response.

Before I ate I went out for a 40 minute walk at 10:15 a.m. That stopped the rise and the line started to fall at 11 a.m. I took my insulin at 11 a.m. and ate at 11:30 a.m. as my BG resumed its climb to top out at 168. I’m not quite what to attribute that push up from the morning low to the 168 top. The walk slowed and then temporarily reversed it but it pushed back up.

The meal insulin combined with a 20 minute walk at 12:30 finally turned around that upward push.

The afternoon flattened out nicely and there’s hardly any BG evidence of my dinner insulin dose at 5:10 p.m. and meal at 5:30 p.m. My 20 minute walk starting at 7:30 p.m. shows a dive toward 70 around 8:15 that I countered with 2 Dex4s. I should have set a temporary basal in anticipation of this walk. I might have averted that low.

I finished the day with rebound to the 140 level. I took a BG correction of 0.65 units at 10:30 p.m. before I slept.

Not your best... but definitely a decent day of insulin dependent diabetes. (thumbs up)

Walking (or any form of exercise) has played a huge role in my control of late... instead of just dialed up insulin when my sugars begin to spike.

Walking has been very good for my control.

While yesterday's line wasn't "pretty," I was surprised to see that it met my goals 4/4.

My time in range was 89%, goal is >= 80%.

Time < 70 was 2%, my goal was <= 5%.

BG average was 105, my goal is <= 110.

Standard deviation was 25, my goal is <= 30.

I'll accept it and still shoot for better. Thanks for the encouragement.

Two highs, two lows roller coaster day. I investigated the 2:00 a.m. high that topped out at 175 and found no obvious source. I had no evening snack and even took a 0.65 correction to bring down a 140 just before I went to bed. It will just have to remain a mystery.

The morning low is a familiar pattern that doesn’t happen every day, but often enough to be recognizeable. I dropped my 4-7 a.m. basal rate from 1.2 to 1.1 units/hour. We’ll see.

Before my usual late breakfast at 10:45 a.m. I walked for 20 minutes at 9 a.m. My BG responded nicely with 2+ hour flatline at 100.

The post-breakfast noon high only went to 154 and I kept a lid on it with a 15 minute walk up an easy slope hill. Breakfast was an open face Starbucks sausage sandwich, 21 grams CHO, 20 grams protein, and 29 grams fat. I dosed 5.25 units to cover the carbs and 4 units over 3.5 hours for the protein and fat. Prebolus time = 30 minutes.

The afternoon line dropped slowly and leveled out some in the 75 range and then slid into a 70 minute low that bottomed out at 62. I took 2-3 Dex4s to fight off the low. My hesitancy to over-correct the low led to its longer than desired duration.

I had a 1/3 pound grass fed hamburgers with 105 grams of tomatoes for dinner at 5:45. I was still in the 60s but I dosed and ate anyway. It took 0.5 units of insulin for the 3 grams of CHO, and 2 units over 2 hours for the 29 grams of protein and 30 grams of fat. Prebolus time = 15 minutes.

I did a minus 20% temp basal for one hour starting at 7 p.m. in anticipation of an 8 p.m. walk. It wasn’t enough of cutback, however, as my BG dropped into the upper 40s around 8:30 p.m. It ate 3 Dex4s as I walked. They didn’t prevent the low but they did shorten its duration.

My BG recovered to the 105 range, climbed a bit after I went to bed and exited the day at 107.

Not a great day, not a bad day. I achieved 2/4 of my daily goals with my standard deviation at 29 and my BG average at 103. My time-in-range goal of 80% fell short at 78% and my lows were too many at 9%, goal =< 5%.

Coaster ride, still meets 2/4 goals

The set/site change at 8:30 p.m. on the previous evening probably was the reason for the drifting high when this day started. BG came down but did not go hypo. This had been a challenge in the recent past.

I walked 6 miles this day, spread over four periods. At 9:30 a.m., before I ate my first meal, I walked for 30 minutes. At noon I walked another 30 minutes soon after eating. I walked again at 1:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. for 20 minutes and 30 minutes respectively.

Breakfast at 1:15 a.m. consisted of scrambled eggs, Italian sausage and one small tomato. That’s 8 grams CHO, 30 grams protein, and 58 grams fat. I pre-bolused 30 minutes 2.1 units for the CHO and 5.3 units over 4.5 hours for the fat/protein.

I’m not sure why the BG ranged to 161 after eating, especially given the exercise I did. To counteract the stubborn low 160s line, I cancelled the remainder, 1.25 units, of my breakfast extended bolus and then delivered it at 2:10 p.m. I also ate 1.5 ounces of macadamia nuts at 2:10 p.m. and bolused for 6 grams of carbs or 1.0 units.

At 6 p.m. I had scrambled eggs again for dinner with 3 breakfast link sausages and a teaspoon of maple syrup. That’s 3 grams CHO, 34 grams protein, and 57 grams of fat. I didn’t bolus for the maple syrup because my BG trend seemed inclined downward. Prebolus time = 15 minutes. I bolused 0.45 units for carbs, and 3.8 units over 3 hours for the protein/fat.

My 7 p.m. walk drove down my BG and I ate 2 Dex4s to counteract.

BG ranged from 63-192. 76% time in range, 2% low, 125 average, and standard deviation 25. That yields 2/4 personal goals met. Not bad, could be better.

Missed all four goals

The two hour overnight low was probably lower than the line shows. Instead of the high 60s, I’m thinking it was actually in the high 50s to low 60s. I think this because of the mid-day long-to-build and long-to-decay mountain top of 190. I see it as a classic hypo rebound with all counter-regulatory metabolic processes.

I’m not going to detail all my food and insulin dosing since its typical of my eating shown on previous days’ posts. I did eat my first meal at 11:15 a.m. and walked for 45 minutes at noon. That probably put a lid on the high but it sure wasn’t in any hurry to descend.

I ate my last meal of the day around 6 p.m. and went for a 30 miute walk at 7:30 p.m. I exited the day at 75. The deep “V” near 11:30 was probably due to sleeping directly on the BG sensor, in other words, erroneous data.

Not a bad day but lots of room for improvement. Here’s my daily goal summary:

While you missed your goals, it's still a fantastic day for type 1 diabetes. Keep up the awesome work.

Dinner last night was Indian from my favorite place in Torrance. I tend to eat veggies, and chicken from these with a small peice of naan. Today was fairly common these days. woke up around 130. Had coffee, 1/2 a banana shake with spinach, coffee, PB, and whey protein. Lunch was a taco salad with guacamole, no shell. The 190ish spike was post salad and fairly unexplainable. I get a decent number of eat something low carb, bolus 4.0u and come to find out I’ve under bolused (although why a salad should require 10u is beyond me). Still I’ll keep working at it.

Overnight lows are the worst! I often find that my bg is wonky the next day. Thanks for sharing your less than perfect lines with us.

I feel like your line looks a lot like mine these days, only yours is about 30 mg/dl lower than mine. I find it absurdly frustrating that I can't budge my line into the zone.

BTW, I'm completely jealous of the food you ate in the last day. Guac shouldn't take 10u, but it might be worth up to 12... just sayin'.

So the majority of the problems with this line are me. However, I am chalking some of the issue up to the fact that I'm day 3 on this pod, my pump site is by my back pocket and that is one of the least insulin sensitve areas I use, and this cgm sensor has been less than stellar since I put it in 6 days ago. But, here it is:

I don’t hear my cgm at night and need to fix that. Basically, I run high if I eat anything after 7 pm (and I am a big-time evening snacker). I think my basal rate is okay as it is perfect if I don’t eat after 7 and have a spot-on bg before bed.

Breakfast is a home-made frozen egg sandwich at work with a cup of terrible, half-caf coffee. Lunch was leftover hotdog, mini cornbread muffin, and a greek yogurt. Dinner was chicken fingers and fries. The low was right after dinner and due to the fact that I was so frustrated that I couldn’t get within the lines in the last 24 hours that I rage bolused and the insulin hit before the fatty dinner caught up.

Yeah… Looks somewhat like my trend today. Do you exercise at all? Or no… Didn’t I read you were having issues with scar tissue? Sometimes I think I’m dealing with scar tissue … 12 years of pumping now and I’m not really great about rotating, I’ve always used my stomach area.

Anyways keep up the food fight…I mean good fight :).

Silver-lining??? I love your case!!! Until we meet again tomorrow diabetes until we meet again mahhahahahahaha.

FYI- I keep my Dexcom on vibrate mode only, and sleep with it in the bed up against my body. It’s quiet alarming to the system when it goes off,lol. If I were to write a blog it would be called “sleeping with electronics.”

Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Danny - don't you have a green giraffe case to keep your dex in too?!?!? It's a tallygear one. I figure if my toddler chucks it on the floor again, at least all the parts will stay together and I won't have to fish them out from under the couch before the baby finds them and eats them.

My dex is on vibrate and then it alarms if I don't acknowledge it. It starts on my bedside table and then ends up under my pillow at some point during the night where it stays and alarms all night long without either me or my husband hearing it.

But for real, I think the issue is lack of sleep for the most part (I am averaging about 6.5 per night total and that is split between feeding the baby).

...This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass...

Thanks!

You're welcome. It's never easy, but I do take special pleasure when I can tame the beast!

Yeah, it's hard to imagine a salad needing 10 units. Did you make it or buy it? Sometimes I think that food vendors sprinkle a magical layer of extra carbs on prepared foods!