Sanofi ending its Afrezza partnership with Mannkind

Jim2,
I think you should personalize it a little about how its helped you. The letter is a little general about how it works. What its done for you is more important to someone like Dr Oz.

[quote=ā€œmpg54, post:103, topic:50253, full:trueā€]
Jim2,
I think you should personalize it a little about how its helped you. The letter is a little general about how it works. What its done for you is more important to someone like Dr Oz.
[/quote]Just so you know, Dr. Oz is not really a friend to diabetes. He is a celebrity health promoter who has peddled a number products that were nothing but pure quackery. Dr. Oz was promoting acai berry, raspberry ketone supplements another ā€œmiracle in a bottle to burn your fat.ā€, garcinia and once even said diabetes was reversible (though he was talking about T2). Not Good!

If I were MannKind I would not want Dr. Oz anywhere near my Afrezza and would not allow him to start peddling any of my products on his show. LOL

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, I too, think Dr. Oz has no qualms about making himself appear like a quack on TV (or maybe heā€™s just really stupid.) Regardless, whenever I see him, I just cringe (for myself and all competent physicians.) Iā€™d have trouble trusting him to present the topic correctlyā€¦ Remember, heā€™s one of ā€œthoseā€ doctors that believes you can ā€œreverseā€ your Type 2 if only you lose weight and exercise more. And we all (hopefully) know this is a crock of crapā€¦

1 Like

I agree, dr Oz is pretty much a clown and I realize every real practicing physician on the planet loathes himā€” but he does have a lot of viewers

Wow, you donā€™t believe in Dr. Oz? How about Oprah? :joy: Seriously, Dr. Oz is an entertainer, and any interest from his show is a long shot, but the Afrezza story is an interesting one. I donā€™t see what it can hurt, if only to shine a light on the difficulties facing any unique new therapy.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œJim2, post:107, topic:50253, full:trueā€]
Wow, you donā€™t believe in Dr. Oz?
NOPE
How about Oprah? :joy:
NOPE
Seriously, Dr. Oz is an entertainer, and any interest from his show is a long shot, but the Afrezza story is an interesting one. I donā€™t see what it can hurt, if only to shine a light on the difficulties facing any unique new therapy.[/quote]
I see it could hurt because folks like myself who know what a clown/quack/promoter of dangerous quackery products, would NEVER take a product he promotes seriously - even if it really did work. And as said already, were I the product mfg or owner, I would not allow him to peddle my stuff.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a tv buff, but what about The Doctors?
Would that show hold any merit?:flushed:

1 Like

Iā€™m only suggesting it as I think it would give Afrezza the national exposure it needs. I get what everyone is saying about him, but he does have huge exposure. My wife sometimes like the products he has on, then tries to get them and canā€™t because their sold out at the stores. I realize the possibility is very slim, but what is the harm? If it ever made it on the show it would breath life into Afrezza and help to keep it on market for all.

He also does pretty good job of walking through how things work. In Afrezza case I think this would help a lot if someone like him did it right. it would help people to understand how Afrezza is much different from other drugs.
Anyway it is a long shot, but if enough good stories came through then who knows.

I have sent a brief description of the issue to Dr. Oz, The Doctors and Your Health at NPR, offering to forward the more-detailed information that I posted above. Weā€™ll see if there is any interest.

1 Like

Iā€™m keeping my fingers crosses for NPR. IMO, they present things accurately and in a non-biased fashion (or at least biased in a way in which I agree!)

You mean Intramuscular shots IM, I think. Bernstein advises that in cases of high blood sugarā€¦ I think dangerous but his pts do it. I was referring to IV insulin drip/dextrose drip (they go hand in hand). There is a dia-port, some way to inject insulin directly into the port which would be as fast as inhaled insulin but that has to be surgically done. Iā€™m not sure who would be a candidate for that or in what instances they put the port in.

Nope, no typos involved!! (LOL, 10 character minimum!)

Sanofi did not fulfill their part of the partnership agreement. Two other ā€œpartnersā€ are suing Sanofi and hopefully Mannkind can do the same. In fact, I would go so far as to say Sanofiā€™s actions were calculated and deliberate for the purpose of wasting Mannkindā€™s time and money, waiting until they were sure Mannkindā€™s resources were depleted before pulling out of the partnership agreement, bashing the drugā€™s reputation for good measure as they did so. They did this because Afrezza was a direct threat to their ā€œfastā€ acting injectible Apidra. The fact that users were reporting decreases in their basals as a result of first phase response of Afrezza inhibiting glucose secretion by the liver, easily seen by lower fasting blood sugars across the board, made them realize Afrezza would cut into their profits with Toujeho. Sanofiā€™s actions proved they never intended to market Afrezza. They just wanted to ensure that Afrezza would not stay on the market as competition to their existing products. Ditto Merck with SmartInsulin ready for human trials (or large animal), was it FIVE YEARS ago? When did Merck start trials on Smart Insulin? When another competitor, working with JDRF, came forth with their own trials for a Smart Insulin. They donā€™t want to cure us; we are just cattle with a price on each head to them.

3 Likes

Agreed. I had not been one to spout off about ā€œevil corporationsā€ and the like until watching this whole soap opera unfold. Terribly disappointing. I can only hope and try to have faith that those on the right side of history, morality, ethical business, actually trying to bring a beneficial medication to market etc will prevail. If they canā€™t, itā€™s a real warning sign to the future of our world that I donā€™t take lightly.

1 Like

MannKind has some HUGE obstacles - HUGE. The Sanofi lack of participation and sales or lack of efforts is not the cause of them. Afrezza is just one trouble inside their doors. The truth is sometimes hard so sniff out but itā€™s there!! LOL

1 Like

Brilliant.

@karen57: Iā€™d like to hear you expand on your theories, if you are willing. Clearly, there seem to be some issues within MannKind, and the CEO debacle (announcing hiring Duane DeSisto and then having to back off because of DeSistoā€™s non-compete agreement with Insulet) indicates the board did not do its due diligence. What else are you going on?

My ā€˜theoriesā€™ come from facts, not ideas.

MannKind are entirely dependent on partnering to achieve their goals -
bringing innovative therapies to patients and their caregivers, and partnering is at the core of our business strategy. And their focusā€™ of - establishing partnerships to build therapeutic programs of significant clinical and commercial value and the discovery, development and commercialization of therapeutic products for patients.

They are a not young company, but their focus became Afrezzaā€¦and well the rest is playing out before all of us.

Ummm actually afrezza is the only product theyā€™ve ever produced