Sanofi's Admelog FDA Approved

Announcement here.

Does anyone know anything about Admelog? I’ve always viewed Sanofi’s Apidra as the equivalent to Novolog and Humalog. Is Admelog much closer to Novolog and Humalog, making it a more affordable option to those two, but Apidra is different because of its more rapid action?

PARIS, Dec. 11, 2017 /PRNewswire/ **-- **The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Sanofi’s Admelog®, the first follow-on insulin lispro to help people living with diabetes manage blood sugar levels at mealtime.

*“Sanofi has a deep heritage and broad experience in providing treatments for people living with diabetes. Complementing our existing insulin portfolio, Admelog will offer a more affordable option for those who require control of their blood sugar levels at mealtime,” said Stefan Oelrich, *Executive Vice President and Head, Global Diabetes and Cardiovascular, Sanofi. “The approval of Admelog is an important milestone for Sanofi in our mission to serve patients living with chronic diseases such as diabetes.”

Admelog is a rapid-acting insulin similar to Humalog®, another insulin lispro 100 Units/mL, currently approved in the U.S. The Admelog clinical development program involved more than 1,000 adults living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Admelog will be available in both vials and the SoloStar pen, which is the most-used disposable insulin pen platform in the U.S.

1 Like

Admelog is a “biosimilar” to Humalog. It is basically the same molecule and will have essentially the same pharmaceutical action (depending on the other ingredients). Humalog’s patent expired in 2013 which opened up other companies to make a biosimilar. The whole thing with biosimilars is that they are the “generic” of biologic drugs like insulin. But they have not actually played out by providing lower costs. I don’t plan on holding my breath to see whether Sanofi prices Admelog at a markedly lower price than Humalog. My bet is that Admelog is cheaper than Humalog, but only by 5% or so. If Admelog comes out to cost $100 for a box of 5 pens, I’ll eat the box they come in.

4 Likes

How would you dose for something like that?
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think you would have to check the fiber content.

7 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. My question as a pumper and humalog or novolaog user, what is the advantage of Admelog?
Is it more resistant to high temps like Apidra was not? It went bad at lower temps, when hot climates/ summer was an issue. How about length of time it stays “fresh”? More than 28 days would be really wonderful.

When will it be available in the US?

Thanks!

You can read the prescribing information here. The best I can tell it will be essentially identical to Humalog. Same action. Same 28 days in a pen, same 7 days in a pump.

In theory, the only advantage would be cost.

But of course we’ll have to wait and see if it turns out to be much cheaper.

1 Like