Scared about not "feeling" lows anymore

Eric,
Are you splitting your dose of Lantus - and lows are still happening? Some morning, some bedtime?
Six hours after I take a Lantus dose is my peak Lantus action. So I split the dose.
I can’t take more than 2 units at night or I will go into a low.
Find out the lowest number of units you can take at bedtime: make it a “no low” night.
Or go off Lantus and go on Levemir, as Trudy says.

As Leo2 said, splitting doses is a really good way to control the peaks. When I was on Lantus, I took three shots daily; now that I’m on Levemir, I take three shots daily! I wear my pump on the weekend, which I enjoy – no injections, no basal peaks. Have you considered a pump? Best wishes.

Just curious why do you only wear your pump on weekends?

Hi mhynes. I wore a pump for years, but I’m not very big and over time, I found just a few places absorb well with the infusion. I like to keep those places in good shape, so I rotate and use the pump for weekends when I am most likely to eat out or have special foods at home. Oddly enough, my body seems to think I still have on the pump for a day after the infusion is removed, so I get three good days due to the pump, work harder on the four MDI days. When the holidays roll around, I may keep on the pump for a week or so… Keeps me versatile!

No, I have to admit that I’m anxious about having a mechanical device attatched to me 24/7…what can I say…
Eric

Hi Eric. I expect your doctor is not happy with your lows and therefore might be willing to arrange for reps from different pump companies to give you trial pumps, using saline. You could find out for sure whether or not a pump would be manageable for you. I’ve only used Medtronics (and MDI), but I’ve read that people who couldn’t stand the thought of tubing were pleased with the Omnipod. Constant lows must be a very insecure way to live, so just trying out other possibilities would at least be interesting. Have you read “Think Like a Pancreas”? Maybe there would be a clue in there to help you have fewer lows on MDI. Exploring different possibilities could possibly bring you a much happier life. Wishing you the best.

I think if you asked people who pump what they thought about having something attached prior to pumping, a lot of people would say that was a big reason to hold off. I felt that way about it also. I only pumped for 8 months and quit for reasons other than having something attached - that did not bother me at all. I used a Dexcom prior to and after pumping. I am not using it right now because of problems getting sensors, but I want to be using it. I don’t notice it being there and it is a lifesaver. It can warn you about both lows & highs - you learn a lot using it. It is also something you can take off for a week or so and not worry about changing out your routine.