Scared of the flu shot

I’m sitting in the doctor’s office, waiting for someone to come give me a flu shot and pneumonia vaccine. Two different injections, and I’m freaked about both. Virtual hugs needed, please!

2 Likes

How about a big ole bear hug … !HUG!

1 Like

Thank you Gary!! All done. Not bad :slight_smile:

I always find it interesting that a lot us pwd’s don’t like needles especially when controlled by someone else. Good luck!

2 Likes

I don’t like them whether I’m giving them or someone else! I was just listening to emily & gary scheiner’s interview from september, during which, gary calculated approx how many needles @EmilyC had taken over all her years of d, and he couldn’t believe she was still a needle-phobe. I could TOTALLY relate em, HUGS and I’m getting mine soon too.

1 Like

i don’t look at needles and instead do lamaze breaths while concentrating on a distant speck on the wall.

1 Like

Congratulations on getting through it!

1 Like

If I had read this earlier I would have said don’t get them on the same day because I did that and had a bad reaction and my arms were very sore etc. I hope you’re ok! Good job :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad it went well – I’m just as scared of shots (and blood tests). My kids have to calm me down to get 'em!

3 Likes

I’m glad you got your shots, Emily! Thank you, now you will be protected and won’t be passing nasty germs on others. A double shot gig well worth it in my opinion. My virtual hug is belated but it’s for getting it done so it’s a BIG one!!

1 Like

You guys are the BEST! And both my arms are killing me now. It’s funny that the actual shot is what seems scary, when the after-ache is so much worse! I’m glad to have it done. Thank you guys for your support!!

@Thas, we are birds of a feather :wink:

Actually after the bad winter season we have had with people who have had flu shots being hospitalised, people getting pneumonia, becoming asthmatics, bronchitis. It has been a really bad winter and I would be more scared of not getting the flu shot!

Glad it wasn’t as bad as you feared, Emily. :laughing:

Flu shots and pneumonia shots are typically done intramuscularly and can contain up to 0.5ml (that is the same as a 50 unit insulin injection). This can mean it hurts and you can have a deep bruise afterwards. Your fear is actually pretty rational. Despite that when we do overcome our fears it really can make us stronger.

My problem right now is donating blood. I’ve been advised to give blood as frequently as possible but I often have problems due to my thick and clotting blood. If I just went in and they poked me that would be fine but I hate when the flow stops and they start digging the needle around in my arm and even have to resort to multiple sites. I don’t look forward to it.

1 Like

I got the flu shot and the next night I had a fever or felt hot but in the morning was good again. The nurse practitioner had told me that it could affect my immune system.

And here I thought the One. Single. Advantage. of having T1 was leaving behind needle-phobia. Truly it has been said, YDMD. I do remember the “I can’t believe I’m doing this” feeling from the first week or two after dx, but I also remember that very first time something in my head clicked, with basically the message “You better just get over it right now because this isn’t going away.” Of course I don’t enjoy it. I remember being struck by BD’s slogan on their boxes–which I don’t think the’ve changed in 35 years–“For maximum injection comfort!” Sure. "For minimum injection discomfort is what they mean of course, but I’ve always gotten a wry laugh out of it: They’re so comfortable! Share 'em with your friends!

2 Likes

Experience doesn’t seem to dull needlephobia much for those who have it. Either you’ve got it or you don’t, seems to be the rule. One more hurdle in the ongoing uphilll battle.

For whatever reason, I’m not subject to that phobia (others aplenty, yeah, just not that one). Dunno why, perhaps it’s because my parents deliberately downplayed it when I was little, treated it as not worth noticing, like yesterday’s news. Whatever. Just profoundly grateful that it’s one less roadblock to deal with.

Oh my goodness, @Brian_BSC, that sounds awful. “Digging” is a word one never wants to hear in a conversation about even the most minor of medical procedures. You’re a strong man!!

My mom has nagged me to get the flu shot every year for as long as I can remember, and every year I procrastinate a bit and then get it done. A few years ago I called her in October to crow that I had gotten mine before she started nagging, and ask if she had gotten hers yet, as she was well past the age when “they” recommend people without any other risk factors start getting it. She replied “Oh god no! I never get that thing. I hear it hurts”.

2 Likes

LOL! My dad’s the same way. Nags me about it. Nags my mom. But himself? No way! He’s never gotten one and never will. And, once he’s gotten past a certain age, who’s going to tell him he’s doing things wrong?

1 Like

I have experienced the same problem giving blood. Years ago before D I donated blood. The last time the needle clotted and was moved to the other arm which also clotted just as it was finished but before the sample section was filled. I allowed them to take a separate sample so that what was collected would not have to be discarded. It was shortly after that I was diagnosed and was told I could no longer give, because of that experience I was not upset.

They tell me now that diabetics are now allowed to donate but the memory of that last donation keeps me away.

I tried to donate blood when I was in college and was told that PWD can give blood as long as BG has been “within range” for at least a month. I laughed. And left.

@Brian_BSC, do you know what the regulations are now for PWD who want to donate blood?