Scary low event - synthoms?

My 5 yr old son, type 1 on omnipod, dx when he was 18months, for the first time started screaming uncontrolably at 2am. At first we thought it was a nightmare, but after measuring BG he was 42. He woke up ofcourse and His heart was beating so fast, and he started screaming again like feeling chest pains. We gave him a shot of glucagon to get him out of the low.

Needless to say we couldnt fall back to sleep after this. I'm wondering if someone has experienced a similar episode and want to share your knowledge and leassons learned to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks

Hi Santi, how scary for you. my son was diag at 10 so i cant totally relate, but at that age both of my boys have some night terrors with waking with scary crying and out of it we would have them get up go pee and then they would settle down. i suspect his body reacted like this to alert you! so i would be very thankful for his response, our endo had said if jacob has a low in the night he would be loud moving around talking in his sleep. luckily for us he has been pretty stable over night but we always give him a good snack with insulin but with protein or fat at bedtime, like medium fat icecream or nacho chips and a cheese stick. this seems to hold him over. at 42 was you son alert? jacobs record low is 29 i believe and totally alert testing and treating himself basically, scary! unless they are truely unconscious i woundnt go for the glucagon but he might of been to upset to drink in that case the glucagon was your only option. did he have an extra active day or eat less protien/fat yesterday? in any case, crisis averted his body response alerted you or his guardian angel if you believe in that. i hope he settled out alright, he will probably be high this morning do to the rebound, i hope he didnt vomit from the glucagon ( we have never had to use it). i hope you have a better day! blessings to you both, amy

Wow, no, sounds really scary. My son now 8 dx at 23 months has been that low at night but has never had any reaction to it that we have noticed. (of course meters could be off and maybe he was even lower than 42). But I also have t1 and have noticed that I can get bad dreams when I am low at night. So maybe he was also having a nightmare due to the low blood sugar. Plus a reaction to the sugar so that all made it worse. sounds scary! I tend to wake up from lows but my son doesn't... my endo said that adults tend to wake up and young children don't. which is scary in itself...

Yikes - so scary! Not sure what your bg checking regimen is at night - when did you check him prior to the low? When Malcolm (dx@2/1996) was little we would check him at 10/midnight/2am - no CGMs back then - have you considered a CGM?

I've had that happen. Like you, my son was Dx at 18 months, and while we haven't had many of those sorts of extreme lows happen recently, when he was little (2, 2 1/2) we had a few. He would wake up crying in the night and I'd find him low. Sometimes in the 40s. There've been only two occasions he's gone below 40; once when he threw up just after eating and the insulin he'd had for the food made him plummet (that was my first time using glucagon) and once when I had not yet figured out how to do dual wave boluses and didn't realize that fatty foods are a dip-and-climb proposition if you give a standard bolus (that was my second time using glucagon).

I guess the only lessons I learned from it were these:

1) don't be afraid of that oh-so-scary needle! I've spoken with parents who've tried to get juice in their toddler/preschooler when the kid is at 32 in the middle of the night, and when I asked them why they didn't just use the glucagon, they look embarrassed and uncomfortable and say, "We were hoping to avoid it." It looks like something from a CIA interrogation kit, but it's there to be used.

2) keep records. If you know what the child ate, how much insulin he got, and how much he exercised within 6 hours of a bad low, sometimes you can figure out what combination of foods + insulins can result in blood sugar swings. In the case of Eric's second shot, we had been doing an awful lot of walking at a fair on the day he got the high-fat meal (fried dough) and it showed me that I had to really take into consideration how fast certain foods would (or wouldn't) absorb and break down.

Yes! Our son had an experience like that when he was about 5. It was like what I hear night terrors described as. It took nearly 10 minutes for him to ‘wake up’ and he really didn’t remember the incident at all.

Lows at night, I think, are what worries T1D parents the most. You know your child best, but for our son extra exercise during the day or the end of an illness are his biggest low triggers. On those Amy’s, we do an extra test at night just to be sure.

THANS ALL.. for your valuable SUPPORT & great suggestions.

Keeping track of combination of habits, food intake and insulin is the key to learning to cope with T1.

Throughout the day, we have been able to ask him about what he remembers, and he says, in his way, he's scared about his heart going so fast like a tornado he says...

It makes me wonder if hypos trigger, or can go along with, high blood preassure. I never read it from studying the symthoms it can happen, but I'll start researching & ask his ENDO.

Many thanks for all the blessings and support

My son was DX'd at 18 months also (He's 9 now). We've had bad lows where we have to use glucagon. When he was really little, we gave him glucagon mini doses -- mixed the glucagon as usual, but then used a regular insulin syringe to inject only one or 2 units instead of the whole thing.

As for nightmares, my son had them when he was little and he got really frantic when he was low. It may have just been a combination of everything. He doesn't even know anymore when he is low until he's in the 30's.

i would suspect it is not blood pressure related but an adrenalin surge with the body under stress due to low bs, his little heart beat is going really fast, reassure him this is normal and his bodys way of trying to make things better even if it feels worse! have a better week! amy