Schedules, logs, plans

Structure. It’s the thing that I imagine is new to most new diabetics, like me. I don’t like getting a log book of what I eat and what my sugars are. I don’t like having to eat on schedule or have a low. I don’t like having to be so rigid.

I think that this is probably going to be the most difficult adjustment to make. I have to eat three meals a day - instead of my prediagnosis 1-5 (depending on my mood, day etc). I have to eat breakfast. I can’t buy junk food and eat on the run any more. I can’t walk in to a restaurant or a home or a work function and assume that there will be food that I can eat any more - or even something that’s safe for me to drink!

I dislike living a scheduled life. It’s good for me, because it makes me take proper care of myself, but I dislike it. It doesn’t fit naturally with my personality, and there’s always going to be a part of me that rebels against it. I’m going to have to try and find a balance I can live with, that contains some spontaneity but not to the extent that it’s detrimental to my health.

It’s difficult trying to see around every corner. It’s inevitable that there is going to be some failure. I think knowing this will help me, so that I don’t get too upset when it happens and can just chalk it up to experience.