Scholarships to diabetes conferences!

Diabetes Hands Foundation is happy and excited to offer scholarships to diabetes conferences as a part of the Diabetes Advocates program. We offer these scholarships to help get advocates to the major conferences in the US so the patient voice is present.

These scholarships cover travel, hotel and conference registration. Some scholarships also require recipients to help staff the Diabetes Hands Foundation booth in the exhibit hall or attend specific sessions (like the MasterLab Advocacy Sessions).

Find more information about each conference scholarship below and you can always email questions to Mike Lawson (Mike@diabeteshf.org).

After reading the information below, apply for a scholarship here. All applications must be submitted and received by Friday, April 3rd, 2015 at 5pm Pacific Standard Time. All applicants will be notified via email of our decision by April 15, 2015.

All applicants must have already completed the advocacy survey. If you have not filled out the survey, you can still do so here. If you’ve never participated in Diabetes Advocates before and coming from the online communnity, you are welcome and encouraged to apply for these scholarships as well.

75th Scientific Sessions of ADA

Dates: June 5-9, 2015
Scholarship Includes:
  • Airfare to Boston (if necessary)
  • Airfare home from Boston (if necessary)
  • Registration to the conference (if necessary) – scholarship recipients will be given instructions to apply for a media pass.
  • Ground transportation to and from the airport (if not provided by the hotel)
  • 4 nights hotel accommodations (rooms will be shared with another Diabetes Advocates scholarship winner or with a member of the Diabetes Hands Foundation staff of the same gender)
  • One invitation to Happy Hour with Diabetes Hands Foundation on June 6 ($75 value)
  • Arrive June 5 and depart June 9
Scholarship Does Not Include:
  • Extra baggage fees (all bags must be carried on or the expense is absorbed by the scholarship winner)
  • Meals
Number of Scholarships Awarded: Two
Who Should Apply?
  • Advocates with a keen understanding of science and efforts focused on prevention, detection, and treatment of diabetes
  • Advocates who feel comfortable engaging and reporting on comprehensive expert research presentations

Read more about this conference on the ADA’s page.

Friends For Life – MasterLab Attendee (3 Nights)

Dates: July 7-8, 2015
Scholarships Include:
  • Airfare to Orlando (if necessary)
  • Airfare home from Orlando (if necessary)
  • Two Day Registration to the conference
  • Complimentary entry to Friends For Life Exhibit Hall Grand Opening on Wednesday
  • Ground transportation to and from the airport (scholarship winner must coordinate this with the hotel)
  • 3 nights hotel accommodations (rooms will be shared with another Diabetes Advocates scholarship winner or with a member of the Diabetes Hands Foundation staff of the same gender)
  • Arrive July 6 and depart July 9
  • Breakfast and Lunch on July 7, Wine and Cheese reception on July 7, Breakfast on July 8
Scholarships Do Not Include:
  • Extra baggage fees (all bags must be carried on or the expense is absorbed by the scholarship winner)
  • Meals (except those noted above)
  • Conference registration past the two days of MasterLab (July 7-8). If scholarship recipient wishes to stay past the two days covered, he or she will incur the cost of registering for the remainder of the week
Number Of Scholarships Awarded: 19 scholarships to attend the MasterLab advocacy sessions July 7-8
Who Should Apply?
  • Advocates of all experience levels and types of diabetes
  • Leaders representing small nonprofit organizations
  • Those interested in engaging in problem solving, media training, advocacy literacy
  • Those interested in the latest policy, regulatory, and reimbursement dilemmas facing the diabetes community
  • Advocates and bloggers with a type 2 diabetes focus

Read more about the conference here: http://childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2015/
Read more about the MasterLab sessions here: http://diabetesadvocates.org/MasterLab

Friends For Life – Full Conference (6 Nights)

Dates: July 6-12, 2015
Scholarships Include:
  • Airfare to Orlando (if necessary)
  • Airfare home from Orlando (if necessary)
  • Full Week Registration to the conference
  • Ground transportation to and from the airport (scholarship winner must coordinate this with the hotel)
  • 6 nights hotel accommodations (rooms will be shared with another Diabetes Advocates scholarship winner or with a member of the Diabetes Hands Foundation staff of the same gender)
  • Arrive on July 6 and depart on July 12
  • Breakfast and Lunch on July 7, Wine and Cheese reception on July 7, Breakfast on July 8
  • Ground transportation to and from the airport
  • Meals (except those noted above)
Number Of Scholarships Awarded: 2 full-week scholarships
Required:
  • Scholarship winners will be required to attend the MasterLab advocacy session on July 7 and 8.
  • Scholarship winners will be asked to staff the Diabetes Hands Foundation table in the exhibit hall for 2 one-hour shifts throughout the week.
Who Should Apply?
  • Advocates of all experience levels
  • Advocates with a type 1 diabetes focus
  • Advocates seeking information on social support, research updates, and personal development

Read more about the conference here: http://childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2015/
Read more about the MasterLab sessions here: http://diabetesadvocates.org/MasterLab

American Association Of Diabetes Educators (AADE)

Dates: August 5-8, 2015
Scholarships Include:
  • Airfare to New Orleans (if necessary)
  • Airfare home from New Orleans (if necessary)
  • Registration to the conference (if necessary)
  • Ground transportation to and from the airport (if not provided by the hotel)
  • 4 nights hotel accommodations (rooms will be shared with another Diabetes Advocates scholarship winner or with a member of the Diabetes Hands Foundation staff of the same gender)
  • Arrive August 4 and depart on August 8
  • Meals
Number Of Scholarships Awarded: Two
Required: Scholarship winners will be asked to staff the Diabetes Hands Foundation table in the exhibit hall for 2 one-hour shifts throughout the week
Who Should Apply?
  • Advocates of all experience levels and types of diabetes
  • Advocates with an interest in the state of diabetes education and current practices of care
  • Advocates who will feel comfortable attending sessions geared toward nurses and other healthcare professionals

Read more about the conference on the AADE website.

Wow, that is a great opportunity. I have to say I attended the Masterlab last year and it was great. I met a lot of people I just knew on-line, learned a lot about advocacy and I had a blast. I basically decided after that I was going down again and that I would stay the week for Friends for Life even though I am a T2.

I also attended AADE in 2013 and helped DHF and it was a real eye opening experience. I was actually stunned that there was such a disconnect between what CDEs thought there job was and what we as PWD's actually need. They really had not heard the patient voice (but I know it is getting better). I was also surprised to see the level of discontent in the ranks of CDE's and I actually think that as patients we have a lot to share that could really help CDEs be much more relevant and effective.

I would urge everyone to think about attending. This can be a real opportunity for personal growth, a chance to make life long friends and doing this can be an opportunity advocate for the issues that matter to us as patients.