Second Summer, We Can Take the Heat

Feel like we've hit a couple of milestones this summer. Samantha didn't have any diabetes-related problems while playing softball & that's huge! Last year, we just learned by making mistakes. I also took Sam to a softball showcase in Va Beach during the 100-degree heat wave & she didn't even have to sit out due to the temps! Huge! But the biggest advance was for me. I didn't tell any coach or anyone assisting at the tournament that she had diabetes. I just sat on the bleachers with my bag of supplies.

Last year, I told the coaches right away. Then I felt awful that I practically made that her introduction. "Hi, she has diabetes, but she really wants to play college ball." (Not exactly like that, but close enough). Maybe I told them because I was nervous? This time I held it in. She's going to go away one day & I won't be there to to hold the bag, so I need to get used to her handling it.

Big Milestone: Sam turned 16 & has started driving. Also makes me very nervous. Not just teen driving, but teen T1 driving! She dropped to 53 one night while driving -- because she got nervous. But at least she can feel it when she drops. I'm putting extra meters & glucose tabs in all of our cars. Have to learn how to balance how serious T1 can be with the fact that she's a normal teenager.

Some days I feel overwhelmed & I know she does too, but we're doing ok right now. Back to the endo in a couple of weeks & also starting her junior year in high school.

so glad things are going smoother for the both of you! i know what you mean about having that be your first intro and go into the diabetic treatment/emergency info rather than here is my great kid. it is important for all involved to know what is going on, jacob is starting cross country 9th grade this year and i have already casually emailed his coach but plan on talking to him over the phone or in person soon, he has never coached a type 1 child so i think it is important to share the basics, there are so many complexities it is hard to decide how much to divulge, how much to just let your child be responsible for, obviously it is time for jacob to be responsible and have the coach just aware in case of an emergency, i find it is hard to let go of control.... but so glad it is going well for you and sam!! good luck with junior year and driving!! amy

I have talked to her high school coaches & also the athletic director, so all those people know. It's just strange to go to a clinic or camp & then I can't decide if I need to alert everyone or just let her go! This one was fine, because I was sitting there watching. But I really don't want to make that the first thing I say! I want it to be like, yeah, she's great, isn't she? By the way, she has diabetes, so she may need a break...

yes i hear you! how does sam feel about talking about her diabetes with her peers? i think getting them comfortable in their skin with sharing and doing what ever they need to do whenever and wherever as just part of their day and part of who they are, this is me type of thing is important, unfortunately jacob is not there yet and i am hoping this is the year he owns up to it a bit more since he is starting a new school we'll see! best of luck with sam. amy

She doesn't talk to her friends about it & she doesn't like to test at school or inject insulin. She was diagnosed in Nov of her 9th grade year & now she's going to be a junior. She does better with control over summer break! I am dreading the school battles again. Her doctor told me to tell her coaches she's not testing & have them tell her she can't practice or play if she's not doing it. So I had to do that. Her softball coach talked to her one day & she asked him, "Did my mom tell you to do this?!" She is definitely not comfortable with the whole idea yet. I told her that after she graduates from college she might finally realize she has diabetes -- it's such a big thing to deal with at the start of high school & there's so many other things going on. It's true - I had a comment on another post about how teens need to feel proud about how they can deal with diabetes instead of feeling like it's something to hide - we need to keep working on that. Jacob & Sam will hopefully get there one day.

i think being diag. as a teen is the hardest. jacob was diag at 10 so old enough to be aware of what was going on and help and too young to really buck the system so to speak, plus he is an organized rule follower so that helps. does she feel comfortable at the nurses office, if there is one, that way no one would know. i guess you could try the sports thing as a way to get her to commit, better bs control better sports performance. in any case i feel your pain, she will come to acceptance with time. a book she may like is not dead yet by phil southerland, at first read it worried me a bit but he is very motivational, you can do it all and control your diabetes attitude, this is me and this is what i need to do kind of guy, she may like it. well best of luck with the school year! amy

I've got to get that book. Been meaning to read it for a while. And we don't have school nurses in Louisville! Keep me up to date on how things go for you all.