Security Screening

I work in DC and am in and out of federal buildings all the time. Therefore, I go through quite a few security checkpoints each week, which includes x-raying my bag. Like many folks on here, I carry around a fair amount of medical supplies, as well as lots of extra snacks.

I recently had to enter a federal building where I was technically not allowed to bring in any food or liquid. In my bag, along with my medical supplies, I had a juice box (for treating lows) and a myriad of low-carb appropriate snacks. After my bag went through screening, the agent doing the screening asked if I was diabetic. I said, “Yes.” (not entirely the truth in my case, but it’s the general gist of things these days). He then said, “You’re not allowed to bring in liquids or foods.” I explained that for me food is part of my “medical support” as I cannot eat what typical people can eat and that everything must be carefully counted. He went and got a supervisor, I explained everything again, argued with the supervisor a bit, and was finally allowed through.

The embarassing part of this was that I was with a couple of coworkers. While I’m not embarassed per se about my medical status, I really don’t want people in the office knowing my business, as I am always concerned how it will result in me being treated. I don’t necessarily want to discuss my medical condition with some stranger and I don’t want to create a scene.

Are there others on here who have to deal with this? How do you deal? Are there some magic words I can say to get through federal security checkpoints with my carefully carb-prepared snacks and a freaking sealed juice box???

I’ve only had that happen at airports. On my last international flight I wasn’t allowed to bring water on a 10 1/2 hour flight. I have snuck food and energy bars in. The only thing I would suggest is that you get a medical note from your doctor, that food is part of your medical treatment and that if you don’t have it you could go low and go into a coma. Let him embellish a little. Most agencies are afraid of lawsuits.