Selling almost-new Minimed Connect

Hello,

I have a Minimed Connect that we would like to sell. We got it about two months ago, and have only used it to upload data a handful of times. My son just upgraded to the 630G and it not compatible with that pump.

We paid $199 for it, and I’m hoping to recoup at least half of that, as it is barely used. I have original packaging and charger all packed up on the box.

Please let me know if you’re interested. Thanks!

Lauren

There are many organizations that will gladly take a donation of this type for PWD in need who cannot afford things.

I can’t stop myself from saying the following:
I have a problem with the fact that you posted this FOR SALE ad (because that is what your post is) both here and on the Parents of Children with Diabetes Forum. It is your first post on this Forum and the Parents of CWD Forum. You joined both of these Forums to try to recoup some money. Not to share information, ask questions about your child’s diabetes, seek support, or offer support. I suspect this post will be your first and last. I hope I’m wrong. Speaking for myself, I feel like you have inappropriately used both TuD and Parents of Children with Diabetes.

Am I mistaken, or does TuD also serve as a diabetes Craig’s List?

2 Likes

I succeeded in getting this For Sale ad removed from the Parents of CWD Forum.

Hopefully its hours are numbered here.

As distasteful as this post seems it does not appear to violate TuDs terms of service. TOS prohibits the sale of prescription items, this item does not require a prescription. I suggest you confirm this with a member of the Admin team. Who knows I have been wrong at least a few times in my life.

On the surface this appears to be distasteful but who knows the motives of the OP. It does appear she joined to sell this item but we really don’t know that, I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully it will go to someone that needs it.

Since the MiniMed Connect hardware/software that you are offering for sale is not a prescription item, you may do so here.

Here is the relevant portion of the TuDiabetes Terms of Service:

Also, we cannot allow the exchange, sale or giveaway of items that require a prescription from a licensed health care professional in our communities. Examples of prescription items include but are not limited to: insulin pumps, insulin pump supplies and insulin. Any prescription items listed for sale, exchange or giveaway by any member will be deleted.

I stand corrected.

Diabetes Craig’s List (for non-prescription D items) it is then.

And who can afford it.

I suggest we change the Terms of Service then.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand the controversy? If I was interested in such a device I’d be happy to find it at a discount…

5 Likes

Perhaps someone can clarify something for me. This For Sale ad contains a link. This link indicates that the MiniMed Connect App costs $99.00. But the OP states in her post that she paid $199 for their Minimed Connect and is “hoping to recoup at least half of that, as it is barely used.” Am I missing something? Am I making an incorrect assumption and is the link provided by the OP showing a product that is actually something entirely different from (and which costs about half as much new) as the now-used product she is selling? If so, she is trying to sell her used Minimed Connect for the same price as a new one.

I see what you’re saying here, Sam19, and I, too would be happy to find a D-related item I wanted at a discounted price. But not here on this Forum, and especially not from someone who appears (and again, I may be very wrong) to have joined TuD (and another Forum that has offered me priceless information and advice, much-needed support, and many welcoming shoulders upon which to cry) for the sole purpose of making some money.

Hey All –

I’m just seeing these posts now. I’m sorry to irritate any of you. I have visited these boards and CWD for many years, but not regularly and not always as a poster. I have a 14 year-old that has had Type 1 for 13 years. We’ve had a hard time communicating blood sugar levels with our endo because CareLink and ios don’t work well together. The Minimed Connect solved that very temporarily because our pump went out of warranty and we upgraded (not compatible anymore).

We used this item for just a few weeks. Paying $200 out of pocket wasn’t easy and I wish we’d thought of the Connect solution long before.

The admins have said this post didn’t violate any policy. I thought someone might be able to spend $100 if they couldn’t swing $200. I know I could use that $$ for our co-pays. If I don’t sell it, I will donate it.

So, “rgcainmd,” I am not here to make money. Just another Parent of a Kid with T1 making things work as best as possible for my family. Just because I don’t post where you’ve seen it before doesn’t mean I don’t give and receive support all the time. I was on here trying to solve the CareLink issue with my other email address a few months ago and got some great advice; just couldn’t remember my password and created a new account.

2 Likes

My bad. When I read your initial post and clicked on your pic, the information I saw indicated that this was your very first post and that your join date was the same date as your for sale ad. When I clicked on it again after reading your most recent post just now, your profile indicates that you joined this Forum on Oct 18 and posted twice on that date. I have no explanation for why your profile is different today. I seriously am not accusing you of somehow falsifying what I now see on your profile. I just want to make clear that I did not write my first reply until after I checked your profile, which on the day I wrote my initial reply indicated that you joined TuD the very same day you posted your ad.

While “I have you on the line” perhaps you can clear up what may very well be some stupidity on my part. I am referring to this post:

“Perhaps someone can clarify something for me. This For Sale ad contains a link. This link indicates that the MiniMed Connect App costs $99.00. But the OP states in her post that she paid $199 for their Minimed Connect and is “hoping to recoup at least half of that, as it is barely used.” Am I missing something? Am I making an incorrect assumption and is the link provided by the OP showing a product that is actually something entirely different from (and which costs about half as much new) as the now-used product she is selling? If so, she is trying to sell her used Minimed Connect for the same price as a new one.”

@LMJenkins. Thank you for clarifying things for us. This just goes to show that not everything is as it seems.

Now about that missing password, I suggest that you contact the Admin team for help retrieving or resetting it. Having two membership is not a good idea and can lead to confusion.

The original price for the minimed connect was $199. The price has been discounted at various times to $99.

1 Like

Thank you, Brian_J, for clearing this up for me.

I think it’s important for everyone to realize that as of today at least, the retail price is $99. I suspect the OP was not aware the price is currently 50% of what she originally paid for it.

This illustrates one reason why, IMO, TuD shouldn’t (in addition to the place of support it is) also be a place where folks buy and sell non-prescription D-related items. Or anything for that matter.

I can see the point of that, but that is not an issue to take up with me. You were rather rabid in your communications to me in private messages and your aggressiveness is not the best approach to making people feel they are a part of something worthwhile.

If I HAD been completely new to this forum, I still would not have done anything wrong. But rgcainmd, you would have driven me away and I wouldn’t have ever received support that maybe I would’ve needed. I’ve virtually know The Hitchcocks, Rick Langel, Laura B., Kerri S., for over a decade and I can’t see them sending nor them supporting aggressive message such as I received.

When my son was younger and we were still green around the ears in the D sense, I was very active on CWD and with JDRF and along with several other families have done multiple walks and our family has participated in FDA trials, sibling studies, diabetes camps, etc. The community at large is warm, forgiving, supportive. Luckily, I know that your words and tone are not representative of the whole.

2 Likes

I’m truly sorry that both my posts and PM have made you feel this way. That was certainly not my intent. But there are reasons why the Parents of CWD Forum does not allow people to buy or sell anything (regardless of whether you are personal friends with the Hitchcocks or how involved you are with the DOC) and those reasons are why I believe that TuD should follow suit. There are too many people in the world today who are willing to take advantage of their neighbors. This is sad, but IMO is downright tragic when PWD or people with other chronic diseases become the targets for these kinds of people. I do not think you are this kind of person, and I believe you didn’t realize that you were trying to sell your Minimed Connect at what is, at the current time, the same retail price as a new one. I honestly believe you were trying to do the right thing by offering folks a perfectly fine, practically new item at what appeared to you to be 50% off what they would pay elsewhere. But I believe there are far fewer honest people like you that sell things on line, and not everyone is capable of or at their best when they are worn down by the 24/7 that is D to carefully research the fact that they may be taken advantage of when purchasing D-related items on the secondary market. Yes, we are adults and are responsible for making sure to the best of our abilities that we are not being taken advantage of whenever we buy something online (or, for that matter, in person at a “physical” point of sale.) It’s just that this happens more and more often every day. It upsets me whenever I hear about someone being taken advantage of in this way, and it downright devastates me when I hear about this happening to a Member of Our Tribe. (G_d knows, our health insurers take advantage of us repeatedly.) Part of what we do on TuD is look out for each other. At least on eBay, one has some protections afforded by PayPal. On TuD, there is nothing in place (to the best of my knowledge) that mandates that all buying and selling occur via PayPal. I believe that TuD should not and realistically can not take on the responsibilities that should be required on a site that, even in part, hosts a secondary marketplace. The risks clearly outweigh the benefits IMO. I never want TuD to be a place where someone ends up on the wrong end of a “bargain”. I do not believe that this is what TuD is about, and I feel strongly that TuD should reconsider its TOS to insure that this does not occur. I feel very protective of my family here on TuD, and this need to look out for my family is the place from which my posts and PM spring.

1 Like

Just to be clear, our terms of service does allow the sale/exchange/gifting of non-prescription items for non-commercial use. It has been this way since forever. We rarely get these sorts of things, but they do happen. And I have no problem suggesting to DHF that they consider revising our TOS.

But please, we have an admin team whose sole job is to moderate and oversee the community. We really don’t want our members to take it upon themselves to do that role. If you see something that concerns you flag it. And please have faith, the admin team will look at it carefully and make a decision. Generally our decision and action isn’t communicated publicly although it was in this case. And above all, please remember to love each other and be respectful.

4 Likes

Thank you, Brian. (And I did flag the original post as soon as I saw it. Terry4 responded to my flag. For the record I sent the OP one and only one PM [and not a barrage of PMs] on TuD and only one PM on the CWD Forum.)