Serial Killer Loose Among Us

We aren’t seeing any increase in cases from the protests, yet. It takes so long before an increase is measurable, that I suppose we might never know for sure the effect. But, so far, so good.

There were other unhappy effects, though. Turns out that setting the city ablaze was not some kinda magical shortcut around the legislative process. All that legislation is gonna be stuck in committee indefinitely, just like all our diabetic legislation.

Fortunately, I got a 3 year head start on all the stuff coming down the pipeline. Unfortunately, the department of public safety’s director of legislative affairs has gone AWOL. She’s the one the Senate told me I had to talk to in order to move forward. She’s on the run and Aint nobody gonna find her.

1 Like

@El_Ver, I am missing the best summer ever. I hate Covid. I hate diabetes. I hate them. I hate them. I hate them.

Look how much fun everyone is having. I miss everything. I am missing all the lawless fun. The police have warned that they will start handing out speeding tickets again tomorrow. Baby steps.

I agree… summer will suck this year. Next week street sweeper tickets start again in SF…sigh

1 Like

Thank you. Sadly, the number of deaths from Covid-19 in my town is much, much higher. We are talking triple digits, although I do not know the exact number. This virus gives us all time to pause, look around us, improve what we can, help where we can, and just settle down away from our usually hectic lives. I know what is important to me and what (and who) is important in my life. That is good enough for me right now.

1 Like

But by being careful and smart, you will be alive to have fun for many summers yet to come.

5 Likes

I was replying to moh who said there were only two deaths where she is. I am sorry to hear that it is higher near you, that is awful. We had over 2000 now. :crying_cat_face: Actually what she said was 2 people she knew had passed, the deaths are probably higher.

I am glad there is no increase yet as far as we know anyway. I am not surprised at all that burning the city down did no good. I managed to find her email and phone number online, hope you can get a reply soon to help you.

Didn’t you imagine, before all this started, that, like, many people you knew might die? I did. I was actually shocked that they took actions to protect us. If they hadn’t done that quickly, then we would have seen widespread tragedy. What they didn’t want, I think, were hospital staff abandoning their posts and society going into a panic and becoming unglued.

The degree to which we are currently ‘unglued’ is not clear to me. But, you can feel it in the air. We are in a low level state of becoming ‘un-glued.’ There was a standoff with police down the road from me yesterday. One dead from suicide.

What I can’t figure out is if this is the result of economics or corona, but I think its primarily corona because the suicides started right of the starting block with the lock downs. They say 20% of people had insecure housing prior to corona. If people start loosing housing, I think things tip into a much worse state of affairs.

I think we have already seen widespread tragedy. 125,000 have passed in 3 months. I am not sure if you were aware of what happened in Manhattan, it was very bad. People were not getting the care they normally would for most things. I cared for myself at home.

Some hwc did quit their jobs etc because they didn’t have proper pep. I read about one nursing home where the entire staff abandoned their jobs. In another, management tried to cover up the spread of covid to their residents. That happened, or something like that happened in more than one nh.

I am not sure what I imagined would happen but I knew it would be bad by the time we went to online teaching and when Canada closed their borders.

I was not aware how contagious it is and how quickly it spreads until it was on us. It happened rapidly or it seemed to but in reality 7 mil people left Wuhan before their shutdown and people traveled to europe and here from there and europe etc. So community spread was already happening.

It is by no means over, the first wave is not over. Some states managed to flatten the curve and stop the hcs from a compete failure but that is it. As soon as things open up there are increases in cases.

That is terrible what is going in near you and it is largely due to covid financial and mental stress etc. and the way it has been mismanaged imo. I am glad you are holding up ok💕 Lets hope it does not get even worse. A successful vaccine will be what really stops it imo.

1 Like

Poor NY. So many people there that they just got hit first. It was just bad luck. I hope that FL isn’t next.

We were very fortunate that Chicago was so proactive. We were watching Chicago like hawks with beads of sweat. They were some of the first company closures that I recall hearing about in early March. Chicago was really fearful, but they have a Chinese embassy there and a large international airport, so they must have heard through the grapevine.

My work shut down at the end of March, but people were already quitting. They pushed it right up to the limit, but must have shut down just in time because they never needed field hospitals. I am really afraid of working onsite and will avoid it as long as possible. I simply do not have much trust in employer judgement or motives.

1 Like

Maybe you can try what I did with a single, living-alone friend of mine. I knew she was lonely, so I invited her for a ‘socially-distanced, BYO picnic’ at my house. She packed a lunch, walked around my house to the backyard screened-in lanai, and sat at the lanai table. My husband sat on the love-seat at least 10 feet away from her, and I sat in a corner chair at least 12 feet away from her. We were technically outside in the fresh air, socially-distanced, and none of us touched anyone else’s food. I was happy to see that she was all right, and we had a wonderful conversation and a safe, fantastic visit. You CAN be safe if you meet one-on-one or in small groups, keep your distance, and meet in a safe place. She needed to talk to someone in person, and I was happy to catch up with her on the latest news. I sincerely hope, Jen, that you can figure out how to make your invitation happen while still staying safe.

1 Like

Apparently NYC usually gets hit maybe the worst in pandemics due to high density population living close together, and 24 hr mass transit, and very high volume of travel from everywhere. It was similar in the 1918 flu as well for these reasons.

Most of it everywhere could have been stopped by early mandated federal responses. That is good Chicago did that. I think Taiwan also knew, but much earlier, reacted early. People have no problem wearing masks there, it is the habit, and no problem with contact tracing etc.

You are smart to not work. I am hoping we will still be teaching online in the fall.

Fl and Texas seem to be the next worst places as well as Arizona. Due mostly to denial, ignoring it, not enough wearing masks, not enough social distancing etc. from the top down.

I think phone or zoom is better for people who are high risk. I went a zoom bd party for a friend who moved to CA, it was fun, 50 people attended! They had quizzes, stories told and prizes. His son and gf were at his apartment or the apartment below to bring in cake but wearing masks and still social distancing etc. I think maybe he was on a private balcony.

1 Like