Severe Overnight Lows

Does anyone get really low overnight and have to have help coming back? Sometimes I wake up and my husband has been trying to get me to eat or drink sugary things. Sometimes it’s like I’m in a bad dream and I think he is trying to hurt me, so I fight back, which makes everything so much worse. It’s always so lovely to wake up covered in honey or orange juice… He says it takes him a long time to get me to come out of it, which makes me feel really bad and really lucky to have him.

Night time lows can be very scary. Whenever I’ve had one, it is always preceeded by a nightmare. Here is a discussion we had about it with lots of replies. Last year I went to my CDE and I got a review of my overnight basals, and my night time lows have decreased dramatically.

A girl I work with was dumping her purse looking for something and she had about 15 tubes of decorator icing in it, the little gel type ones. We all started making jokes about her sweet tooth. But the real story is her younger brother is Type 1 and in a rebellious stage so the whole family carries at least one of them at all times. She says it’s less messy and easier when he is not cooperating to just put the tube in against his cheek and squeeze.

I know it’s not the answer to cure the night time lows but it may be an easier, less messy, solution for your husband in the emergency situation.

Marie, thanks for the discussion! I am enjoying it immensely! I’ve been having these since I was diagnosed at 3. It usually happens after a change in routine or increased activity.

I have only had it happen once. I woke up in my bed with a glucose drip in my arm surrounded by EMTs and Police Officers. My wife had checked me, found me clammy and nonresponsive and called for help. Do you have a glucagon kit? If you don’t get violent or thrash around, your husband could inject you with it. It should be less messy than OJ or honey. (My wife gets so upset when she can’t wake me up that she starts to shake and cannot use the kit)

I have a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor now, so if I start going low, it alarms and I can get up, test and eat. It is annoying to have to get up in the middle of the night, but better than not waking up. I have Aetna insurance, and based on my hypoglycemic events and what my endo wrote, I got approved in 4 hours. My CDE told me it was the fastest she had ever seen one approved. It seems like the insurance companies are getting better at approving CGM.

If you are not opposed to having a sensor in your body 24/7 maybe you can get approved for CGM. It certainly lets both me and my wife sleep better.

Brad

one night around 9 i went down to 40 for walking earlier that day in a dibetus walk up on milwalkee

It’s called Dawn Phenomenon. My doctor told me to set an alarm around 1am or 2am and to wake up and test and if I’m going low to eat something.