Brussels Sprouts Recipes!

I’m looking into some form of collaboration between TuDiabetes and FurtherFood.com, to bring our community creative, delicious and diabetes-friendly recipes. Further Food is a brand new site with a strong focus on presenting recipes that work for people with different health conditions (on the site you can choose your condition to get a list of recipes for it), including diabetes, along with dietician commentary on each recipe, stories from people who have the different conditions, and more. I think it’s a great concept! Please try this recipe, check out their website, and let me know what you think!

Shaved Brussels Sprouts, Toasted Quinoa, Pomegranate Salad
FurtherFood.com

PREP TIME: 15
COOK TIME: 0
SERVINGS: 6

INGREDIENTS
For the dressing:

• 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons juice from a lemon
  • 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 garlic clove (crushed)

optional: pinch of salt and pepper to taste

For the salad:

• 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts (holding onto stem end, slice thinly crosswise and discard the hard knobby stem)
  • 2 cups arugula 1 green apple (cut into ½-inch cubes) ½ ripe avocado (cut into ½-inch cubes)
  • ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds ¼ cup cooked quinoa (toast till crunchy)

INSTRUCTIONS
In a jar or bowl, place all dressing ingredients, mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
Into a large bowl, add brussels sprouts, arugula, apple, avocado and pomegranate seeds.
Pour dressing onto salad and toss well.
Top with toasted quinoa.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Per Serving: Calories: 192; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Sodium: 56mg; Potassium: 472mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 5g

Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 119%; Vit A: 16%; Iron: 8%

2 Likes

Yum! I love Brussels Sprouts! Some of my best results lately have been fueled by them. I’ve been sauteeing them with jalapenos, garlic, black pepper and…pickle juice which comes out pretty well. If I have other green things on hand (broccoli, spinach, kale have all met their fates this way…) or pretty much any other leftovers floating around, I will toss them in too.

Unfortunately, I am not nearly organized enough to come up with a recipe or nutrition information and just wing it.

1 Like

I’ve fallen so hard in love with Brussels that I’ve planted 6 plants in my garden. No one in the house is happy about my new obsession…several fart smell comments.

I cut them in half and roast them with sliced bacon in a 450 degree oven. Drizzle a tiny bit of honey and balsamic vinegar over them about 5 minutes before they’re ready to be taken out of the oven.

My bg is pretty much a flat line 2 hours post meal.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

Briefly blanching the Brussels sprouts before slicing them for the salad may aid in digestion.

Brussel sprouts are lovely lightly cooked and then tossed into stirfry and allowed to caramelise. You can also slice them as per the recipe above and add to stirfry, the family wouldn’t know what they are eating. Delicious little veg!

Oh geez, I left the shallots out of my “approxipe”. I’ve started keeping those on hand as they fit better with the 3 of us and reduce the number of 1/2 onions in the fridge. I like the flavor although sometimes they are tough to chop up!

hey @curlysarah, I must agree, roasting is my new favorite for fresh brussels sprouts! Trim bottoms, lightly coat w olive oil and roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 min in a foil lined sheet pan. then add salt. I might add some lightly candied pecans for the holidays.

Both my daughter and I lurve Brussels sprouts! They always remind me of that Leave it to Beaver episode when the Beave was turning his nose up at the Brussels sprouts on his plate and Wally said “Just pretend that they’re little heads of lettuce.”