Shopping the Perimeter is Expensive

I do my best. We have several farmers markets near me and there are a number of farmers who sell their meat there. You can also get some grass fed beef at places like Whole Foods. A good site for CSA and farmers markets is LocalHarvest. Grass fed beef can be expensive and if you can swing it, it is best to buy in quantity. Do give the farmers markets a try, you do need to be a smart shopper, but they are a good option (even in Reno).

Natalie,
Here's a site with several grass fed producers in Nevada. The last is only 45 miles from you. Anyone else who is interested just Google "grass fed beef and your states name". There's lots of people doing it but they are small and hard to find. Reading their blurbs takes me back. It's a real advantage to be able to see the animals being raised and talk to producers who care about their land and animals.

Native prairie is a beautiful thing but needs to be grazed intelligently in order not to degrade. We have a remnant nearby and I love to visit and see all the flowers blooming as well as the native grasses. We need more grassland and less HFCS IMHO.

Re intelligence of cattle: The native Aurochs from which domestic cattle were derived were extremely dangerous to hunt and were widely worshiped in early Mediterranean cultures. They also figure prominently in cave art. I often have thought that it's just as well they didn't have the intelligence to figure out what we had in store for them. If they did they could/would dispatch us in short order. I have been worked over pretty good several times by a bovine in tight quarters and believe me it's no fun, in fact is downright dangerous. Actually they are lovely creatures and I always enjoyed interacting with them, 90% of the time anyways. Best job I ever had.

If you have the means, support your local grass fed producers!

Well, being alone, in a small house, I can’t buy beef in bulk. I will look at the site you found, though.

When I was 17, I spent the summer in Israel, milking cows by hand at a youth village. They were very sweet and cooperative as long as no one else got into their favorite stall. I also got to teach a newborn calf to bucket-feed – we got powdered milk from the USDA and fed it to the calves, and sold the real milk. It’s sort of a neat feeling to sit between to warm cows and lean your head into the flank of the one you are milking on a cold morning!

As a young man with no capital wanting to get into a capital intensive business, my entry was raising Holstein steers I purchased from local dairies. I would have 6 or 8 on the bottle at one time, getting up early and feeding them before going off to my day job. When they were ready I’d transfer them to grain and eventually to grass.

My first grass fed beef was one of these steers that I butchered and cut up myself when it reached 850 or so lbs. Now that was a real circus, I’ll spare you the details. I remember lots of steaks that were 1/4" on one end and 1" on the other, very difficult to cook evenly. Ah the good old days.

Here’s a pic of some yearlings grazing some nice clover when I was raising grass fed beef many years later.

Too cute! Way off topic by now, but I had to say it! :slight_smile:

Way way way off topic, but I couldn’t resist. I was really proud of that stand of arrow leaf clover. It was growing on severely eroded ground the result of too many years of cotton farming.

The key to raising quality grass fed beef is to have the animals gaining weight rapidly when you finish them. This pasture met the bill. This is whats nice about grass farming, it can heal abused ground and the product is meat, which is very friendly to our blood sugar. Back on topic, sort of :slight_smile:

Grass fed is catching on, but as you say it’s a tough business. The increasing interest in Paleo should give it a push as grass fed is specified for this type of eating.

Re restaurants
I agree to me the flavor is superior, but cooking may need to be modified. Cooking hamburger usually requires some supplemental oil. Roasts and stews are easy but steaks can be a challenge. Gerri posted a cooking method a while back that works great. You simply sear the steak in an oven proof skillet, like cast iron, and finish in the oven with the lid off. They come out incredibly juicy

Agreed it’s about more than just flavor. A high grain diet is not what cattle were built to consume. Their multiple stomachs are built to to convert high fiber foodstuffs to energy they can utilize. Grass is a low impact crop that can actually heal the land and the cattle convert something that is indigestible to us into a wholesome diabetic friendly food.