Should I start taking a statin drug?

My LDL cholesterol has run high for the last year. I should say high for a diabetic…it’s been in the 90’s, which is normal for a non-diabetic person, but I guess they want us to be < 70. I tried pine bark extract but it hasn’t helped. I’m concerned about recent articles that say that muscle aches are a common side effect (I’m pretty active), and that statins are believed to be overprescribed. I’ve had Type 1 for 25 years and am 42 years old. I see a cardiologist every so often and my heart is in great shape, and my A1C’s run around 6.5. My total chol is 164, triglycerides 43, HDL 57. My endo says I’m not ready for a statin yet, but my local GP (internal med) has been pushing it on me. I’m torn…what should I do?

I’m not sure how realistic that <70 is anyway. My LDL is a tad elevated but for the rest of my health I’m in excellent shape. I did the statin thing and it was debilitating, after less than two weeks I could barely hold my head up. It took a long time for me to get over the pain when I quit taking it. Much longer than the period I was taking it, so I’m not a fan of statin. I agree with what Judith said, see if you can get your LDL lowered by natural means and don’t be in a hurry to take a pill! There are other tests to take to see if you are in need of a statin, I’d do those first also.

Does anyone have a good website that shows some of the natural remedies I could try? I’m already active, I’m willing to keep doing the pycnogenol (pine bark extract), and I could probably cut back on beef and eggs if that would help. Any other ideas that have worked for anyone?

Not with those numbers… The side effects are horrible. I have been on all of them even some they had taken off the market because they were killing people (baycol) I am currently on Vytorin and I guess my body is doin ok with it I have been on one statin drug or another for over 15 years, because hereditary my liver pumps out the cholesterol and triglicerides… my numbers are aweful but I cant control genes so not much I can do…
Just say no to statins unless you go over 200

Overdose on the vitamine Niacine… try that, by overdose I mean take a higher than recomended daily requirement silly… Ask your general doctor if it ok first… Before I tried Zocor Niacine was the final straw for me All others gave me severe muscle pains…
Not a Statin drug and works lower in your intestine there is a drug called Zetia… Actually I am on the drug called Vytorin which combines the statin Zocor with the drug Zetia… See if your Dr. might give you Just Zetia, it has no side effects like Statin drugs, and it is a tiny little pill.
Call your general Dr. and ask about Niacine (no flush kind, lol that stuff will turn your face beet red if it is not the NO FLUSH kind) and then ask about Zetia,
With your cholesterol so low the Niacine or Zetia might just take care of it… Or just eat some quaker oatmeal or Cheerios… No lie, that will bring your cholesterol down as well
Reply back an tell me how it goes
:o)

I can only speak to my own experience - I took a statin for 3 months and for awhile, I didn’t connect the side effects with how I was feeling - I literally thought I was just “going downhill fast.” I couldn’t keep up my exercise - which lowers my bs - because I hurt all over and just felt lousy - and had a perpetual “flu.” Within 3 days of stopping the statin, I felt like myself again. It was amazing. As far as I’m concerned, these drugs are poison - and as this article talks about, docs often deny its effects - http://docnews.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/4/12/1

I’ll handle my cholesterol with exercise and LOW CARBS (best thing for it), and as much omega 3 as I can get (both from food and from supplements). I also take Bayer Aspirin with phytosterols.

Also might want to check out http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

And please be very careful with herbs and vitamins - some have potential harmful effects. Do your research. Know your body - pay attention to it. Listen to that voice inside.

ive been on every statin there is for my cholesterol, but my liver reacts, and i get liver pain…so im taking fish oil pills, and have a list on my fridge of all the foods that help lower cholesterol…