Sick, sick, sick!

I am not one who normally gets ill. I've been blessed with a pretty good immune system I guess. However, I felt tired (figured it was from the low bg I had this morning, and I am pregnant and have been feeling more tired with that as well), so I took a nap. Woke up with a 102.7 fever, headache, and just really tired all over. Dr offices are closed. Really only choice is er, which I am not feeling up to...but I also am not feeling good at all.. Any suggestions?

Go to the ER. Better safe than sorry.

How have your blood sugars been? If they've been very high it could be the beginnings of DKA and nothing to mess with.

Other than that it sounds like the flu, which can make you pretty miserable but is not a medical emergency. I wouldn't bother with the ER for that unless you start vomiting, can't keep anything down, and your blood sugar gets and stays high. Or if your fever keeps going up, say over 104 and you can't get it down with cold washcloth and aspirin. I have heard Tamiflu really helps, but don't know if that is a prescription. Do you mean all the doctors in your area are closed? I know it isn't me that feels miserable but I don't think you need to add to it by worrying or over-reacting.

My bg's have been okay, or well normal since I have been pregnant. Yeah, all the dr offices are closed until the 26th. Just gonna try and tough it out... Sleep has been my best friend.

It could be the flu, and Tamiflu is really good at shortening both the duration and severity. I'd say a trip to the ER is worth it if it is the flu. Of course, it could also just be a regular, plain, old virus, in which case the ER isn't helpful at all.

My only advice is to stay hydrated and rest and don't forget to eat if you can. And PLEASE - before you start taking medicine as many folks are suggesting, do read the label and make sure it's okay to take while you are pregnant. My docs have an on call service so maybe yours can give you a call back if you leave a message. If possible, measure your ketones at home and if they go above moderate to high or if your fever persists and your symptoms progress, please do go to ER or urgent care. I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you all! I did end up going in last night, just couldn't handle it and was having some weird cramping in my stomach which scared me since I am pregnant. Tested positive for the flu, and pretty dehydrated. Did get a prescription for Tamiflu and I cleared it through my dr first before I started it. She said it is okay for me to take since I am over 8 weeks pregnant. Not suppose to do much, which isn't hard considering I feel awful. Looks like no family Christmas' til after Christmas, but no matter how ill I am, I still cannot wait to open my present tomorrow and find out the gender of my precious baby! They also gave my husband a prescription for it as well, so hopefully he doesn't get it.